loub

Caribbean cruise with kids

We're on Azura in December for a 2 week Caribbean cruise with 2 children (8+10 years)  They are 'super' excited at the possibility of swimming with the turtles in Barbados and love being on the beach so I'm sure its going to be perfect for them but has anyone else done any other activities they would recommend for kids? (islands are Bonaire, Curacao, Aruba, Amber Cove, Tortola, St Maarten, Antigua and Grenada)

I have been going on caribbean cruises with P&O since I was a child and all my best childhood memories are there. Swimming with dolphins in Tortola particularly sticks out for me. They're going to love it!

Going to the Caribbean with  kids on a cruise ship , cannot go wrong period. They can veg out on the ship in the kids programs,. swim in the pools, eat all the hamburgers , chips. ice cream,.,. all free . they are on vacation. On the islands , a swim on the beach,  running in the sand. Just do not take them on long tours on a bus , attention span is short. Under ground caves or pirate ships.. go with the flow , promise them a treat if you go shopping  

I took my (then) 5 year old daughter on Azura, and to be honest the best day we had was when we had a little minbus tour from a local around an island! Lopping sugar cane out of fields and mangoes from the trees and just generally exploring the island! It wasn't a pre-arranged excursion, just jumped in a tour bus at the cruise terminal and off we went! Of course, snorkelling and fish spotting goes down a treat too!

St Maarten is great, head to the Airport beach for a couple of hours, the kids will love watching the aircraft landing over the beach - there is a lovely little bar just to the left of the main beach with sunbeds and a nice sandy area for the kids, where you can watch from a safe distance - plus the jewellery shops aren't too far away :D

Get a boat over to Virgin Gorda from Tortola, its only a short hope from one island to the next. You may find they even run an excursion.  The kids will love the Virgin Gorda Baths.  walking between giant boulders that have crashed together causing large pools of water.  You can walk all the way through, climb steps, use ropes to help you along.  The space is really open & light, not closed in.  The snorkelling of the beach there is really good too.  Has a nice cafe/bar at the top of the beach with some amazing views while enjoying a chilled drink

post-58-0-76404400-1447251310_thumb.png

post-58-0-71357800-1447251320_thumb.png

post-58-0-09883500-1447251326_thumb.png

Thanks for your comments.  We had a ball.  From swimming with the turtles in Barbados, Zip wiring in Amber Cove, Snorkelling in Bonaire,  Watching the planes land in St Maarten, jet skiing in Grenade every destination was memorable for its own reason.

Mimosa - Thanks again for the Virgin Gorda tip, it was a close call but at the end of the cruise all four of us agreed that this had been our favourite day - unique place.

Want to go back........:)