Oldworldtraveller

Formal Nights Are Out

I cant understand why a poster does not have the option of deleting a thread. Most other forums have that option.

Hi OWT,

We don't allow for members to delete their own threads. If you wish for a thread that you created to be removed you must contact the forum admin team who will decide if your request is necessary. Other members replying to the thread may have put a lot of time and effort in to providing helpful information and we don't feel it's fair for this to be removed without our approval. This is standard functionality across most forums.

We allow for members to edit their post for up to 24 hours after posting. This gives you the opportunity to correct any typos, grammatical or formatting errors that may be present. After this time you can request for your post to be edited or removed by contacting the forum admin team who will decide if the change is necessary. Allowing members to delete or edit their posts could potentially change the context of a thread.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Forum Admin

Hi BCC

Thank you for your comments. Personally I believe it is up to the poster to have the right to remove something they write and not a third party. Certainly the forums I frequent the poster has the option to delete their post so I cannot agree with the "This is standard functionality across most forums". Allowing 24 hours to edit surely defeats your premise of " Allowing members to delete or edit their posts could potentially change the context of a thread". As always, just my opinion.

Kind regards,

OWT​

Most forums I have been on allow deletion or at least edit ability by the OP all the time but I can agree with the premise of other posters contributing and not to loose that as aspect of the thread . perhaps a another new feature might be to just not allow anymore comments on the frozen thread.

It is a rare event anyhow

Hi BCC

Thank you for your comments. Personally I believe it is up to the poster to have the right to remove something they write and not a third party. Certainly the forums I frequent the poster has the option to delete their post so I cannot agree with the "This is standard functionality across most forums". Allowing 24 hours to edit surely defeats your premise of " Allowing members to delete or edit their posts could potentially change the context of a thread". As always, just my opinion.

Kind regards,

OWT​

Couldn't agree more OWT..if we could be allowed to delete our own posts as per those above it would save admin from getting involved.

Most forums I know of have that facility.

I understand some suggestions for the delete button but I think it would inevitably throw up further arguments on the forum, such as the possibility of offensive comments being published then deleted and denied. We'd then go down the whole debacle of screen shots being shared I'm sure, all leading to further disruption of otherwise informative and enjoyable topics.