Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Dave.s

Chaos at mayflower cruise terminal

119 posts in this topic

Hi wheels36 .... thanks, but I was really asking how anyone can have full control over travel by train. The comment made me laugh. I suspect that, even when there are numerous train departures, most people would opt for an earlier train in case of any delays. We haven't sailed from Southampton for a while and hope to be able to avoid it, if possible. On the occasions that we did sail from there, arriving at a very specific time would have been quite difficult when hotels and guesthouses have check-out times, and the traffic around the port area was chaotic.

I think that making allowances for trains can be dependant on how well you know the line. I pick my son up regularly at the station from the London train, and these seem to keep very good time. However, much of my thinking goes back to when I used to regularly take the Sheffield to Huddersfield train, where the arrival time was regularly plus 30 minutes, despite the journey being only about 30 miles. On one occasion we were stuck at Barnsley Station for more than an hour because a signal priority cannot be changed, and the train that had priority had broken down. Going to Southampton I would definitely be travelling down the day before.

I have talked this subject through with my wife, and others, and we all found that we arrive at airports early just as we do cruise terminals. We have no problem of making use of facilities on offer be it eating, the bar or just sitting reading. It just makes sense to get there calmly and wait because you know your holiday has started and that you will not miss your departure. It just reduces stress!

We are staying overnight, again, this year and will go to the terminal directly from our hotel. It may be early but I will arrive free of stress and raring to go. Cannot wait!

I always write days 1 and the final day off on a cruise (unless in the Caribbean when P&O have it sorted. I travel down the day before, stay over night, go get my car parked and luggage taken away to board, then go out into Southampton. Usually lunch, a bit of shopping then get to the terminal in time to board. Hanging round the buffet isn't a pleasurable experience when you are a solo traveller. You spend so much time seeking a seat that always your food is stone cold. I don't use the buffet any other time why board just to get lunch there? Arriving at 3-4pm much better.

I am beginning to wonder how people manage with set check-in times at airports. 

Perhaps the majority of P&O customers do not use the Airports, There lies the problem ! Every one wants get on board as soon as possible. We live in a world where very few people understand the word "NO" these days.

Perhaps the majority of P&O customers do not use the Airports, There lies the problem ! Every one wants get on board as soon as possible. We live in a world where very few people understand the word "NO" these days.

One thing for sure is that the P&O management will be understanding the meaning of the word "no", as the company is losing many customers.

One thing for sure is that the P&O management will be understanding the meaning of the word "no", as the company is losing many customers.

How do you substantiate that ?

I am by no means a loyal P&O fan , it is not one of my favourite cruise lines, however when the price is right I will travel with them. 

Are you saying that because the regular P&O customers will not travel with them again, is because they can not be guaranteed early boarding and are unable to have lunch ! Therefore they will stop using the brand altogether.

A lot of customers use the coaches, P&O have already stated that Coach passengers  when using their coaches, and groups when travelling together, should ignore their boarding time on the tickets as they will embark as soon as it is possible on their arrival at the port.

Most P&O customers use P&O because they leave from Southampton and have no need to use Aircraft.

When you use Fred, they do not supply lunch.

I have used P&O a few times since the new regime came into operation, I personally have had no problems with it. Arriving within 40mins of my allotted time.

P&O State

If you are a suite guest or a Ligurian Tier guest, you will still enjoy your early embarkation benefit and will be allocated the first possible Arrival Time of 12.30pm. You will also still have the use of an exclusive hospitality area within the cruise terminal, serving complimentary refreshments and snacks.

We realise that it’s not always possible to arrive at a scheduled time, especially if you’re travelling a long way, or are checking out from a hotel. So if you do arrive early, please rest assured that we will do our best to get you checked in and on board as soon as possible. There are refreshments available at the terminal and plenty of seating to make you comfortable should you have to wait. Alternatively, feel free to drop off your luggage from 12pm and come back to the cruise terminal at your Arrival Time.

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/before-you-sail/Embark_work

Wheels36 is correct about passenger numbers. If you read the latest annual statement by Carnival it can be seen that the numbers of beds has increased for P&O, with the introduction of Britannia to the fleet, whilst the actual number if bookings has fallen. I believe the switching of Adonia will not solve the problem. The company needs to undertake urgent market research to see why customers are as it will be a combination of things many of which we have read on this forum.

At the moment there seems to be a desire to build larger ships which will have difficulties getting into some ports if the weather is not good. These ships are going into ports that are not designed for the size of the ship nor equiped to handle the passenger numbers through terminals which, in a he UK, are dated. At Southampton the solution seems to be to place more rules andvregulations on the he paying customers rather than developing new terminals that are fit for purpose and allows passengers to relax prior to boarding. There has been an interesting proramme about John Lennon airport which has all sorts of facilities available to passengers none if which you see in cruise terminals.

sinbad10 likes this

This surely is a storm in a martini glass.

As I understand it passengers can arrive when they like and drop off their luggage; it's just that they may not be able to board the ship until their allocated time.  This does not seem dissimilar to the arrangements at airports to me.

On a practical note there seems to be simple solutions to the perceived difficulties.  You can simply drop off your luggage and then return to Southampton for some last minute shopping or a some refreshments.  If you are staying overnight in Southampton then most hotels will allow you to leave luggage with them.  To me these options would be rather better than sitting in a departure terminal. 

My first cruise was on P&O's Victoria, and my second on Oriana.  I really enjoyed my cruise on Victoria and was nervous about the size of Oriana, but I had to admit that the larger size brought more facilities.  These days people's expectations of the range of facilities are far higher and so larger ships are the solution.  This means that there has to be more structure around embarkation, disembarkation, etc.

pennbank likes this

Having just had my first experience of the Mayflower terminal I must say we were pleasantly surprised. Our embarkation time was three fifteen. We has stayed overnight at the Grand Harbour hotel and had stayed in their cruise lounge until our transport was ready. We had used the baggage handling company so all we had was hand luggage. We got there at three and the place was rammed with people and we thought we would be there forever. As it turned out the ladies calling for passengers and the staff handling the check in line were very organised and we were in our cabin by three forty five, which we didn't think was bad.

Falmouthgirl and pennbank like this

They will not give a preferred check in time to select fare over saver because the check in time is allocated in accordance with which deck you are on. Apart from priority check in, which is for suites and everyone at caribbean level and above, everyone else gets a time slot in accordance with decks. I assume that P&O ensure that all cabins on each deck are ready for the time slot allocated. May I ask if anyone that has a strong feeling on this has written to P&O to express those feelings. I assume you all know that there are 4 colours for time slots, grey, blue, green and finally red. If you arrive within 5 or 10 minutes of your allocated embarkation time you will get a black card, this means you are now priority! Straight to the check in desk, no waiting! My personal feeling is that because people are used to arriving at 11 to 11.30 they still do this and then the terminal fills up before check in even starts. This creates an illusion of chaos where there is none. The main problem as I see it is not the sticking to times allocated but is more that they have delayed check in by 1 hour. check in used to start at 11-30 wish and now it is 12-45! Regards an earlier comment about fire exits, fear not, there are plenty, and the staff at the terminal do have procedures to ensure everyone can get out of the terminal in a swift and safe manner should it be required!

Sound advice from someone who knows what they're talking about.

wink.png wink.png

I am by no means a loyal P&O fan , it is not one of my favourite cruise lines, however when the price is right I will travel with them. 

Are you saying that because the regular P&O customers will not travel with them again, is because they can not be guaranteed early boarding and are unable to have lunch ! Therefore they will stop using the brand altogether.

A lot of customers use the coaches, P&O have already stated that Coach passengers  when using their coaches, and groups when travelling together, should ignore their boarding time on the tickets as they will embark as soon as it is possible on their arrival at the port.

Most P&O customers use P&O because they leave from Southampton and have no need to use Aircraft.

I have used P&O a few times since the new regime came into operation, I personally have had no problems with it. Arriving within 40mins of my allotted time.

P&O State

If you are a suite guest or a Ligurian Tier guest, you will still enjoy your early embarkation benefit and will be allocated the first possible Arrival Time of 12.30pm. You will also still have the use of an exclusive hospitality area within the cruise terminal, serving complimentary refreshments and snacks.[/size]

We realise that it’s not always possible to arrive at a scheduled time, especially if you’re travelling a long way, or are checking out from a hotel. So if you do arrive early, please rest assured that we will do our best to get you checked in and on board as soon as possible. There are refreshments available at the terminal and plenty of seating to make you comfortable should you have to wait. Alternatively, feel free to drop off your luggage from 12pm and come back to the cruise terminal at your Arrival Time.[/size]

It's not about lunch, but about the inconsiderate attitude of the P&O management towards customers who live in the north, an argument well detailed earlier in this thread. Historically P&O have had a virtual monopoly of the UK cruising market as the market has expanded, but have ignored the fact that ports other than Southampton needed to be developed to cater for this expanding market. It is telling that Cunard are the company that have given a commitment to Liverpool, if the next stage of development at that port goes ahead.

Given this situation you would think that a smart management would be very careful not to draw attention to the fact that they are taking northern customers for granted, but no "hey-ho" there is not much thinking goes off in this boardroom and they set themselves up by introducing a further measure to disadvantage northern customers.

Not clever.

The people who are working the terminal's need to get the rules right. My sister and Husband are Baltic tier, arrived via coach at 1.30pm, passed through the priority line and were given a boarding time of 3.30pm a 2 hour wait. When she asked if this was the correct time as they had just arrived on a coach she was told yes. 

One of the problems is that an old fashioned check-in procedure is still being used. Get card, wait in line, go to desk, have photo taken, credit card details organised, receive boarding card, go to security. 

RCI: Complete everything on line including downloading photo and credit card details prior to leaving home. Print out boarding document. Attend departure area, see attendant of which there are many and have document scanned on their  tablet, go to security. That is why the modern system is so much quicker. 

pennbank likes this

The people who are working the terminal's need to get the rules right. My sister and Husband are Baltic tier, arrived via coach at 1.30pm, passed through the priority line and were given a boarding time of 3.30pm a 2 hour wait. When she asked if this was the correct time as they had just arrived on a coach she was told yes. 

One reason why I always carry some form of identity as to what level of loyalty scheme may apply.

One of the problems is that an old fashioned check-in procedure is still being used. Get card, wait in line, go to desk, have photo taken, credit card details organised, receive boarding card, go to security. 

RCI: Complete everything on line including downloading photo and credit card details prior to leaving home. Print out boarding document. Attend departure area, see attendant of which there are many and have document scanned on their  tablet, go to security. That is why the modern system is so much quicker. 

P&O State

If you are a suite guest or a Ligurian Tier guest, you will still enjoy your early embarkation benefit and will be allocated the first possible Arrival Time of 12.30pm. You will also still have the use of an exclusive hospitality area within the cruise terminal, serving complimentary refreshments and snacks.

We realise that it’s not always possible to arrive at a scheduled time, especially if you’re travelling a long way, or are checking out from a hotel. So if you do arrive early, please rest assured that we will do our best to get you checked in and on board as soon as possible. There are refreshments available at the terminal and plenty of seating to make you comfortable should you have to wait. Alternatively, feel free to drop off your luggage from 12pm and come back to the cruise terminal at your Arrival Time.

And it also states...

In addition, we're delighted to tell you that from now on, all Baltic and Caribbean Tier guests will be given an early Arrival Time of 1pm. You may find that there is a different time on your e-ticket, but we're working to correct that by early 2016. In the meantime, Baltic and Caribbean Tier guests are welcome to arrive at the cruise terminal from 1pm, regardless of the time on your e-ticket, and we will check you in straight away".

Not all cruisers are so internet savvy as you and I and one has to take into account the amount of your own time, on your own computer, filling in all the details required for online checkin.

Not to mention printing your own boarding pass and labels.

Personally where RCI and Celebrity are concerned i still want an assurance from the check-in desk that my credit card will be charged in US Dollars and not let them do the conversion.

Oldworldtraveller likes this

Not all cruisers are so internet savvy as you and I and one has to take into account the amount of your own time, on your own computer, filling in all the details required for online checkin.

Not to mention printing your own boarding pass and labels.

Personally where RCI and Celebrity are concerned i still want an assurance from the check-in desk that my credit card will be charged in US Dollars and not let them do the conversion.

I agree that not all cruisers are internet savvy but many are and need to be to print out P&O luggage labels. Surely Richard it it better to fill in the paperwork in the comfort of your own home than standing in line with several thousand others. As for conversion, the option is on the credit card form of which as you are aware you have a copy so the only problem that could arise is if it is misread in the accounts department just the same as if they misread it after being filled in manually by the check-in clerk. You can still check-in by the old method with RCI, Celebrity and others but very few do. ;)

pennbank, wheels36, HLM and 1 other like this

Now I am confused. If P&O say the first posdible arrival time is 12:30 why do they then say Baltic, etc, will be given an arrival time of 13:00 regardless of the e-time given? Just gies to show one hand does not know what the other is doing.

Its all very well doing things on line but just lately you cannot even get into P & O's cruise personaliser and it is nothing to do with being internet savvy.

I am having no problem what soever in logging in. Im not savvy either !

Now I am confused. If P&O say the first posdible arrival time is 12:30 why do they then say Baltic, etc, will be given an arrival time of 13:00 regardless of the e-time given? Just gies to show one hand does not know what the other is doing.

see

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/before-you-sail/PO_Check_embark

The earliest Arrival Time is at 12.30pm, which is reserved for our Ligurian Tier and suite guests (see below). The latest time you can check in is one hour before the ship departs. 

Priority will be given to those who arrive at their allotted time. You are welcome to arrive earlier of course, but if you do we will ask you to make yourself comfortable in the terminal until we are able to check you in. This may well be before your allotted time, we promise we won’t make you wait around unnecessarily.

Peninsular Club Benefits

If you are a suite guest or a Ligurian Tier guest, you will enjoy early embarkation and will be allocated the first possible Arrival Time of 12.30pm. You will also have the use of an exclusive hospitality area within the cruise terminal, serving complimentary refreshments and snacks.

In addition, we're delighted to tell you that from now on, all Baltic and Caribbean Tier guests will be given an early Arrival Time of 1pm. You may find that there is a different time on your e-ticket, but we're working to correct that by early 2016. In the meantime, Baltic and Caribbean Tier guests are welcome to arrive at the cruise terminal from 1pm, regardless of the time on your e-ticket, and we will check you in straight away.

Its all very well doing things on line but just lately you cannot even get into P & O's cruise personaliser and it is nothing to do with being internet savvy.

I am having no problem what soever in logging in. Im not savvy either !

Correct this 'savvy' chap if he's wrong but don't you have to have a P&O cruise booked before you can get into the personaliser?