Sign in to follow this  
MG16

Complimentary coaches on the saver fares

Good morning all,

I notice on the saver fares it says that complimentary shuttle buses in ports are at an additional cost, however I wonder how they know at the port which fare you have paid? There is not anything on your cruise card to say that you have paid a saver deal, so who collects this extra money? Is there anyone who has experienced having to pay extra for these buses?

I believe they now swipe everyone's cruise card as they get on the shuttle buses, if you're on a saver it will charge to your account,  if your on select it wont. 

The cost for the shuttles are on the newspaper you receive the night before

Where shuttle buses are chargeable, everyone's cruise card is scanned as you board the bus. Those on saver fares subject to charge are charged on their on board account.

Whilst there is no visible information on your cruise card to say what fare you have paid, there is lots of information stored electronically on your card.

Brian

The charge is only small too - i believe from the port in Dubrovnik to the Old Town, we paid £4 each way approx.

How nice to hear you say this. When we were queuing for the shuttle in Wellington on this year's world cruise a woman behind us was absolutely livid that she was expected to pay £4 for the shuttle. Although she must surely have saved much more than £8 on her saver fare. 

I've been to Dubrovnik and it is quite a distance from the new port to the old town, £4 sounds really good value so it makes ytou wonder why the lady was complaining. I'm sure a taxi would have been at least double! The ocahc also drops off at a very convenient point so its a great service

How nice to hear you say this. When we were queuing for the shuttle in Wellington on this year's world cruise a woman behind us was absolutely livid that she was expected to pay £4 for the shuttle. Although she must surely have saved much more than £8 on her saver fare. 

Some people really do make you smile,on a world cruise and moaning about £4 you could not make it up, maybe she was saving up for her next cruiselaugh.png laugh.png

Like you, Ron, I am always amazed to see how slowly some pax are when producing their cruise cards at the shuttle bus. I have often watched people que only to be unable to find their card and return to the ship? Strange as they must show it to get on board again. They are probably the same folks who do not pay the gratuties to the ship's staff.

Re Dubrovnic. We were there this year and last year. A taxi costs €10 each way for up to 4 people. We jumped into a taxi and watched queues of people waiting for the shuttle bus back to the HAL ship having paid $15 dollars for the trip.

Just back of Oriana and they scan your cruise card when you get on the coach, they only charged for 2 journey out and back even when we did more.

Also they where not there to scan on 1 port so did not get charged, also put it in the Horizon if the shuttle is complimentary

Buses are only used provided by the port authority if it is a working port and this would be a risk to health for passengers to walk around for their own safety, other than that it is down to the cruise operator if they provide a service to enable guests to be transported to a convenient location.

It is sometimes cheaper to have a taxi.   At Marseille we were three and got another three to join us in a mini bus and we toured round Marseille for not much more than the shuttle bus there and back.

smile.png

We've recently returned from a cruise where for a change we took the opportunity to use the free shuttle bus service. We didn't know how they knew who was entitled to free service until it was pointed out to us that our ships card had a dot on it. Another company apparently uses the word premium near the passenger name, this denotes that they have paid full fare and did not take advantage of a late cheaper booking. Paying full fare obviously gets the free shuttle.

We were on the Oriana last year when the charges first came in. We used the shuttle bus in Valencia - a chap came round with a hand held barcode reader and scanned everyone's cruise card. He had a lot of problems in that a good number of cruise cards wouldn't scan - I think that the bar codes on the cruise cards were printed using a thermal transfer printer or similar on to blanks as passengers turned up at the cruise terminal. If they were roughly handled before the print dried properly then they were easily smudged and that seemed to be the cause of the problem. The upshot was that the chap had to write down a lot of names and cabin numbers for the cards that wouldn't scan. Getting all the information down seemed to take ages which caused a long delay and the buses were slow to get away. I would hope that they would have solved this problem by now as it should have been fairly obvious that the smudged bar codes on the cruise cards needed to be addressed.

That evening at dinner, the problems and the £3 fee per person per journey was an obvious topic of conversation. The consensus was that the charge was fairly mean - nickel and diming as the Americans call it. One of our table mates stated that it didn't bother him since it hadn't cost him a bean. Initially we thought that he had paid the higher fare for the inclusive cost - but no - he said that he had gone down to reception and had removed £12 from his auto tips! It was a real tumbleweed moment. Whoever was paying for the shuttle bus it wasn't going to be him and the poor old crew were the ones to suffer!

We were on the Oriana last year when the charges first came in. We used the shuttle bus in Valencia - a chap came round with a hand held barcode reader and scanned everyone's cruise card. He had a lot of problems in that a good number of cruise cards wouldn't scan - I think that the bar codes on the cruise cards were printed using a thermal transfer printer or similar on to blanks as passengers turned up at the cruise terminal. If they were roughly handled before the print dried properly then they were easily smudged and that seemed to be the cause of the problem. The upshot was that the chap had to write down a lot of names and cabin numbers for the cards that wouldn't scan. Getting all the information down seemed to take ages which caused a long delay and the buses were slow to get away. I would hope that they would have solved this problem by now as it should have been fairly obvious that the smudged bar codes on the cruise cards needed to be addressed.

That evening at dinner, the problems and the £3 fee per person per journey was an obvious topic of conversation. The consensus was that the charge was fairly mean - nickel and diming as the Americans call it. One of our table mates stated that it didn't bother him since it hadn't cost him a bean. Initially we thought that he had paid the higher fare for the inclusive cost - but no - he said that he had gone down to reception and had removed £12 from his auto tips! It was a real tumbleweed moment. Whoever was paying for the shuttle bus it wasn't going to be him and the poor old crew were the ones to suffer!

Some peoplerolleyes.gif

Guest Solent Richard

On my recent Viking Ocean cruise all shuttle buses were complimentary.

I did read elsewhere a report by another member that he paid Costa €10.00 per person for a return shuttle ticket in Barcelona.

We were there just 14 days ago. My wife took the 'free' shuttle because she was carrying the Serrano Ham stand...

23535127660_effe63dd57_z.jpg

I walked back in order to take some photographs of the other ships in port. It took no more than 20 minutes was on a nice sunny day.

Still, as a Carnival shareholder I'm delighted to hear that some do pay. Every little helps.laugh.png laugh.png

For the guy who went to reception with Christmas fast approaching I can only think of one name that is repeatable 'SCROOGE'

Just because he has had to pay, I could understand if the cabin steward hadnt cleaned his room or the waiters had tipped his dinner down him!!!

Maybe he needs to use his brain and think if his road isnt gritted in the snow does this mean he penalizes the binmen (same principal) Yet he is pennypinching just the same!