Forum Admin

Happy New Year!

It never pays to advertise especially in this day and age. Its the same when people try and arrange group meetings when they think that they know that several members are going on a cruise. This still goes on within forum groups and who knows whether they really are going on a particular cruise or not.

Its a shame that we have to live in an age of distrust.

I personally have never used Facebook if I want somebody to know something I will call them by telephone or e-mail, once something is posted on Facebook it is there for all to see forever.

I have even heard of people applying for job's losing out because they have been checked out on Facebook and employers have not liked what has been posted,don't know how true this is but that is what I was told.

How did we manage before all this technology ?wink.png 

People on FB who have had employers or such checking out profiles is due to a few things, most important is to set security to Friends Only , not acquaintances  or even create a custom list ,  the second is to use secured difficult passwords. FB itself will send you an email if attempts have been made on your pw. 

Other items is not to publish  your full birthdate nor allow your email to be accessed which can be secured to only yourself. 

In the States some companies have requested your password for job interviews but it is against the law. 

Technology has its benefits like this forum but each person has a responsibility to know how these media works and to know who you are interacting with.

FB has a feature where you can reset public posts on your timeline to Friends only after six months

One thing I forgot (adding 6 hours later :) )  is to be careful of Apps on Facebook that are games like Candy Crush, or will find your best likes in a year or your photos, a lot are fun things except they grab hold of your profile, pictures et cetra though they request permission , no one knows what the company will do with it . In FB under settings look for Apps and remove the offending ones.

As to the Web itself, search engines, you have a responsibility to ensure what you post in any manner cannot bite you in the future

I have a web blog and what I post is what I would share with people here or to my friends so I have no issue

It never pays to advertise especially in this day and age. Its the same when people try and arrange group meetings when they think that they know that several members are going on a cruise. This still goes on within forum groups and who knows whether they really are going on a particular cruise or not.

Its a shame that we have to live in an age of distrust.

We have a small closed group and the feature to share an upcoming cruise can be created where the only invitation is if onboard, meet in this place.

Its not creating an open post like some open forums  where you say your ship, your cabin et cetrea

FB at least allows you see the profile of a person and if they have locked it down fully then unless I know them personally they are ignored  

I'm not sure I have seen any member on this forum announcing when they will be on a cruise except Pennbank, one chap who is now a registered guest, and myself on but one occasion - Britannia's maiden.

True... only person recently asked for help on a WC which is limited as to ships and dates

I normally stay away from dates except through friends though I might say ,, expect a cruise in the summer to an area or plan to see family in Barbados  

All goes back to planning ad security

Interestingly I have a cousin who heads a team of recruiters for some rather large IT companies: she herself being a bit of a computer nerd.

During a discussion she confessed to me that they don't bother with google,  telling me there are far more powerful applications available to them. I think the term she used was 'going or searching under google'.

She is right ,, some powerful search engines that scrape the Web better then Google but it still comes down to what you placed on the Web, can come back to bite you

One is called DogPile  smile.png

Here is a link to a digger  http://websearch.about.com/od/invisibleweb/tp/deep-web-people-search.htm

http://websearch.about.com/od/invisibleweb/tp/deep-web-people-search.htm

I appreciate Admin reviewing posts though I get the impression some members have a view of no debate or offering alternative information or sharing is allowed  

That is not what a post is about ,,, it will die a natural death if off course too much or as we do on FB as Admins we interject a reminder to stay polite

Anyhow ,  six days into 2016 ,, A Happy New year to all smile.png

True... only person recently asked for help on a WC which is limited as to ships and dates

I normally stay away from dates except through friends though I might say ,, expect a cruise in the summer to an area or plan to see family in Barbados  

All goes back to planning ad security

I don't even cancel the newspapers when away.

I appreciate Admin reviewing posts though I get the impression some members have a view of no debate or offering alternative information or sharing is allowed  

That is not what a post is about ,,, it will die a natural death if off course too much or as we do on FB as Admins we interject a reminder to stay polite

Anyhow ,  six days into 2016 ,, A Happy New year to all smile.png

You are correct Rob.

A forum needs a constant stream of new threads for it to survive. If only some of those who were so vocal in the past were as vocal with new threads it would ensure a long and happy future for this forum.

Guest suespud

I'm not sure I have seen any member on this forum announcing when they will be on a cruise except Pennbank, one chap who is now a registered guest, and myself on but one occasion - Britannia's maiden.

I have mentioned a couple of times at least on this forum I am cruising in feb 2017(after a long break)...maybe not posted exact date, but certainly the ship and even cabin.

I cant wait !!!

We have other stuff planned this year....maybe a short cruise..if I can wangle it, but that will be a last minute thing.

Long weekends away, a few days away with grandchildren in a motorhome, even though I said never again...after last time..lol

7 day trip to Venice and Florence in may, family holiday in august, something special in september (not sure what yet,maybe Scotland or Ireland)

Good year ahead .

Guest suespud

Sounds like a busy year suespud and the motor home sounds interesting. Never done one so would be interested to hear what its like.

The motor home was my OH's idea...

We took 3 of our grandchildren..ages 3,3 and 5.

post-174-0-77694800-1452174698_thumb.jpg

The motor home was a 6 birth deluxe model.

It was very well equipped..beds were comfy..storage good.

BUT....with 3 small boys..it wasnt easy to keep tidy and bedtimes were a nightmare!!!

post-174-0-68921400-1452174815_thumb.jpgpost-174-0-53023000-1452174847_thumb.jpg

It was automatic and quite easy to drive.

The toilet and shower were all in one and but small when trying to shower the boys.

My OH looked after the filling up of water and flushing out the toilet bit.

We strayed in decent camp sites on the Northumberland coast , with electricity and water and ate out most of the time, so didnt do much cooking at all.

The boys loved it !!

I would do it again, just the two of us no bother....But he has really had to bribe me to go again with the boys..lol

That why I am looking to get a last minute cruise...and a special holiday in september..lololpost-174-0-10138600-1452175502_thumb.jpgpost-174-0-79016600-1452175518_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-96086000-1452175302_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-04942200-1452175333_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-43384300-1452175483_thumb.jpg

post-174-0-81319400-1452175538_thumb.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

She is right ,, some powerful search engines that scrape the Web better then Google but it still comes down to what you placed on the Web, can come back to bite you

One is called DogPile  smile.png

Here is a link to a digger  http://websearch.about.com/od/invisibleweb/tp/deep-web-people-search.htm

http://websearch.about.com/od/invisibleweb/tp/deep-web-people-search.htm

She sure is and I loved the demo she gave.

Guest Solent Richard

You are correct Rob.

A forum needs a constant stream of new threads for it to survive. If only some of those who were so vocal in the past were as vocal with new threads it would ensure a long and happy future for this forum.

It certainly does and some of us try our best. 

Now where was I heading next.wink.png

Heard a story of someone finding vomit outside of their motor home one morning.

A thief had apparently tried to siphon the fuel tank, but had got the septic tank instead.

I luv it ,,,,

Guest Solent Richard

I luv it ,,,,

So do I.

A couple of my 'outlaws' have a camper van, definitely not for us, but each to their own.

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning Richard,

Yes, I do believe that people in some cases unwittingly give out too much information on forums, Facebook and other social media sites. The police are always advocating to be careful what you put on the internet. Some people seem to live in a world believing that everyone is good and fail to see the dangers. The internet is full of scams leading to identity theft and other criminal offences. Criminals are now very sophisticated and certainly underestimated. The amount of information that is put out there by an individual is of course their business but personally I believe that if people were more cautious in what they shared internet originated crime would drop.

OWT

Good morning Oldworldtraveller.

Back onto your track.  I believe Facebook has taken the wind out of a lot of cruise forums and I also think the reason for that is also well known.

Most groups on Facebook are exceedingly well run and members feel more confident about sharing information because they are actually talking to real people. 

I'm an Admin and moderator on two and we have a membership between the two of over 1270. 

Indeed one, the Cunard Fanzine, had 12 members sailing on Queen Elizabeth Wednesday evening and the banter as they sailed down the Solent was excellent.

Travel Agents such as Bolsover are also moving, or have already moved, heavily into Facebook. It's a bigger audience.

Guest Solent Richard

Another point I would like to make about giving out information. 

I read endlessly around the internet that folk are wary about security when they are away. They may very well have justification.

Of course, to what level, will depend on the individual but I take the view that the moment that 'worry or concern' impacts then  there is a degree (again, depending on the  person's nature) of one's holiday enjoyment has just been lost.  

Good Afternoon to all and after being away myself for Christmas & New Year I would echo the concerns tht people have about security whilst away. We all need to be careful to combact hose unscrupulous individuals who seek to gain by dealing in misery on people whilst they are away from home.

As I am now back with internet connection I would like to wish all my fellow forum members a Happy New Year and looking forward to sharing information ob a friendly basis without the sniping comments of 2015

Guest suespud

Suespud, you've got yourself a handful there! Lovely pics.

Thank you Fudge....that was only 3 of them....

post-174-0-65334900-1452527867_thumb.jpg

This is them all... Ages 22 months to 8 years. 6 boys and 1 girl .Our hands are indeed full, family is very important to us.

Whilst a motor home is not the ideal break for me, the grandkids adored it and that's what matters. They will grow up so very quickly.