Sign in to follow this  
Oldworldtraveller

Shows at Sea

Having sailed on Azura twice now I can categorically say I have thoroughly enjoyed all the entertainment, not just the production shows.

Indeed, on many occasions the Headliners best talents joined in with the guest artists at the other venues such as Manhattan...

6376054805_bf816e933a_z.jpg

...and Malabar...

Great talent.

Sorry Richard, four words come to mind about the entertainment, Same Old, Same Old.

I am not surprised that it is RCI who are "pushing the boat out" with respect to "jukebox musicals" such as "We will rock you".

They are after all in the novelty intensive "easily bored market", and will have to be continually coming up with new ideas if they wish to hold on to their new business.

Much safer to be targeting the cruiser who has relaxation at the top of their agenda.

Sorry Wheels 36, but I have to disagree. I have just finished a 3 day stint at the London Cruise Show where I spoke with several hundred people and it was not difficult to form the opinion of what those new to cruising want. The new people to cruising are families with children and people in the 40- 50 age group who want to be entertained not just with staid shows that have been around for years but modern dynamic shows, by all that encompasses modern entertainment. They have grown up in a new and innovative world and enjoy the facilities that the large resort ships offer. Hence the change in the style and size of ships and what they offer. The days of the old style cruise are numbered hence the number of moans and groans by those who have been cruising for a number of years. Dress codes are gradually going, facilities on board are becoming more varied and from the bookings on these ships it would appear that they have got it right. It may not be what we want or like but we are the old generation that come from a bygone age that is fast diminishing. Just my opinion wink.png

Sorry Wheels 36, but I have to disagree. I have just finished a 3 day stint at the London Cruise Show where I spoke with several hundred people and it was not difficult to form the opinion of what those new to cruising want. The new people to cruising are families with children and people in the 40- 50 age group who want to be entertained not just with staid shows that have been around for years but modern dynamic shows, by all that encompasses modern entertainment. They have grown up in a new and innovative world and enjoy the facilities that the large resort ships offer. Hence the change in the style and size of ships and what they offer. The days of the old style cruise are numbered hence the number of moans and groans by those who have been cruising for a number of years. Dress codes are gradually going, facilities on board are becoming more varied and from the bookings on these ships it would appear that they have got it right. It may not be what we want or like but we are the old generation that come from a bygone age that is fast diminishing. Just my opinion wink.png

Hi OWT. I am not disagreeing with your analysis of the current requirements of the new cruisers in the younger age group.

However, the "theme park market" whether land based or at sea needs ever changing attractions, as can be seen by the new and expensive attractions that have been added by successful land based theme parks over the last few years. Those that were successfully generating income but "sat on their laurels" such as the Nottinghamshire based "American Adventure", are now no longer in business.

There are undoubtedly many in the cruise business congratulating themselves on opening up new markets, but whether they have the "long view" adequately covered, only time will tell.

Hi  I am unsure whether cruising will remain a growth industry, new trends and fads come along and "cruising" may become "old hat".  I remember many "experts" saying that vinyl records were to be consigned to room 101 with the advent of CD's and downloads but their sales are soaring because the sound is warmer (better to many).  I still think the demise of "classic cruising" is unlikely many passengers still want to be pampered and experience a more intimate holiday experience and visit novel ports which the larger ships will not consider.  Entertainment will evolve and even sixty somethings like myself would prefer to hear a group playing the Sex Pistols at volume 11 (Spinal Tap) rather than staid West End Musical numbers.  It's all down to laziness/lack of imagination of the cruise entertainment team, it's easier to do nothing and keep producing the same type of entertainment they have done for years.

The American Adventure flopped due to heavy subsidence which closed half of the park down. This had a heavy effect on both visitor numbers as the attractions had to be reduced.

However I can only imagine being on a ship with a 'theme park' style for a couple of weeks on a cruise as being ………. I dare not put it on here, but if you read my previous post then I think I would prefer to listen to something like the headliners and that is saying something!

The only undisputed subsidence was at the main entrance, and though this was mismanaged the park was already in decline by the that stage. The first major management error was to deviate from the successful "wild west" theme by basing a new ride around a current tv programme, and no doubt with an hidden agenda to achieve cost savings by discontinuing the popular live "wild west shows" that appealed to both young and old. These lower cost attractions are necessary because the high capital cost of the major attractions does not work financially on daily passenger throughput, hence queuing and the necessity for lower cost attractions.

This balance will certainly be a current problem for RCI as clearly some of their well advertised attractions will have a low throughput, while the ships continue to get bigger.

We have enjoyed the shows we have seen on P&O - I remember a Cirque de Soleil type show, as well as the usual West End musical Offerings. One American ship had an old style variety show with magician etc. which was popular. I think the ship troupes do well. I remember one afternoon there was an interesting talk in the theatre with the Headliners when they did a question and answer session and I discovered the trick of their quick costume changes. Another show had Paul Merton and friend making sketches out of comments thrown from the audience. Very clever. I haven't cruised for a while but presumably pax will feed their views on the entertainment back to the line so that they can tailor the ships entertainment accordingly.

There was a comedian on "Balmoral", Don Reid, who was a contemporary of the comedians who found fame in the 70s from the TV programme of the same name. He has modified his act to suit modern tastes by telling jokes that could be typical of these better known names, interspersed by anecdotes from knowing them personally. Worth seeing.

I'm not much of  a theatre person. On the World cruises I do enjoy the acts that come on from the countries we visit such as the Maoris from New Zealand. I do however really enjoy the Headliners. On the Aurora World voyage this year they were excellent and all the singers had extremely good voices in my opinion. 

There was a comedian on "Balmoral", Don Reid, who was a contemporary of the comedians who found fame in the 70s from the TV programme of the same name. He has modified his act to suit modern tastes by telling jokes that could be typical of these better known names, interspersed by anecdotes from knowing them personally. Worth seeing.

Fred also use a comedian named 'Barnaby'. When I first saw him on 'Sunbird', nearly 20 years ago he used to wear a bright multi coloured suit, now its a dark 3 piece. his clothes have changed but his act is still as funny. As he says, 'Something old, something new, something borrowed, but never blue'. He is one of the best stand up comedians I have ever seen.

Smoetimes the entertainment brought onto ships in ports are excellent, it is also surprising that quite a few of the crew although in various guises are entertainers themselves but have chosen the alternative professions as it pays the bills. The best entertainment I have seen was onboard Allure of the Seas and both the shows and the cruise director were excellent. For a small ship company though I would recommend Crystal as the diversity of performers was some of the best ever on a cruise ship

Not sure that all of the acts get the best advice from the cruise entertainment management.

I think it was on Azura that three young female vocalists had teamed up as a trio because they were struggling to get bookings on their own, but instead of taking advantage of harmony repertoires that the new situation offered, were ostensibly singing solos.

A quiet word suggesting think "Three Degrees" rather than Barbra Streisand solos would have been good advice.

I have learn to just go along and accept the show on board for what it is - after dinner entertainment at a price that the cruise line can afford. I have often commented on the relative poor quality of Headliners but have decided that, anyone who is even quite good, will be contracted to a threatre company for more money.

My solution ha been to just watch and accept. Sometimes I am pleasantly suprised. My real problem is that P&O put on the same performances across their ships for too long.

I agree although the shows are very good the shows never seem to change we have cruised with P&O for 10years or so and the shows seem to have been the same all that time.