Sign in to follow this  
sixtyyearsoffishing

Fort Lauderdale flights

Hi   As far as I know there are no direct flights from the UK to Fort Lauderdale and you will have to change from a USA hub airport.  Unfortunately you have to collect your luggage at this airport and manually transfer it before your connecting flight (USA authorities do not allow direct baggage transfer) .  However, clearance of USA immigration will be less stressful that that you will experience at Miami.

Guest Solent Richard

Hi, joined forum today and was wondering if any one knows if

you can fly direct to Fort Lauderdale, and join the ship on the

same day, thus eliminating the horror of Miami airport and the

need for an overnight stay.

Cheers,

Sixtyyearsoffishing

Hi there and welcome to the Forum.

Direct flights to Fort Lauderdale from the UK are few and far between. 

However, if the prime intention is to avoid Miami then there are big savings to be made by taking an indirect flight and using a US hub such as Newark.

Maybe adds a couple of hours but think of the savings.

I would agree that Miami airport does not provide a pleasant experience and that Fort Lauderdale is preferable. However I would be hesitant to book a connecting flight scheduled to arrive the day of the cruise, especially in winter. Flights are often disrupted by weather, and this does not have to be in the area you are travelling. Planes may be coming in from the east coast to your connecting location, and a snowstorm there can cause disruption across the continent. We always plan a night in a hotel pre cruise for the peace of mind it gives us. We have stayed in acceptable, clean but not fancy, hotels near Fort Lauderdale airport for around $100 per night with breakfast and an airport shuttle included. This is per room, not per person, so for us it is definitely worth it.

Sheila

Guest Solent Richard

Hi, joined forum today and was wondering if any one knows if

you can fly direct to Fort Lauderdale, and join the ship on the

same day, thus eliminating the horror of Miami airport and the

need for an overnight stay.

Cheers,

Sixtyyearsoffishing

Hi again Sixtyyearsoffishing.

I can possibly add a little more to my previous comment.

I was flying out of Miami last Saturday afternoon and noticed One BA flight and One Virgin flight scheduled to arrive after 3.00pm.

It occurred to me that, as Miami and Fort lauderdale aren't that far apart arriving at those times to join a ship which is most likely to sail around 5.00 pm may be a risk too far.

Just my opinion of course.

The recent airline chaos across N. America caused by the severe snowstorms would make me even more reluctant to take a flight with arrival close to cruise departure time. You didn't mention which month you are travelling, but from November to late March can be problematic due to weather conditions. In the recent storm, even an extra day would not have been enough, but that was unusual and couldn't be predicted when booking tickets months ahead.

Sheila

Guest Solent Richard

The recent airline chaos across N. America caused by the severe snowstorms would make me even more reluctant to take a flight with arrival close to cruise departure time. You didn't mention which month you are travelling, but from November to late March can be problematic due to weather conditions. In the recent storm, even an extra day would not have been enough, but that was unusual and couldn't be predicted when booking tickets months ahead.

Sheila

Hi Sheila.

We were , in a small way, victims of the weather last Saturday.

Fortunately Oceania were on the ball and diverted us on our homeward flights from Miami from Newark to Houston. 

Kind of two steps back for one forward.

It added 2 hours to our journey time but at least we got home the same day as planned.

Guest Solent Richard

Thanks to everyone for your comments regarding flights to Fort Lauderdale . We will be looking at all the options 

when we book our next cruise from there. We will also arrange for the overnight stay beforehand .

Our main priority will be to avoid Miami at all cost .

Hi there.

Having just (well last month now) flown in and out of Miami and had no bother whatsoever I'm not sure what the problem is. 

They have the biometric scanners now and there is always the 'Global Entry' programme if you are in a hurry.

On 2/8/2016 at 10:48 AM, Guest Solent Richard said:

Having just (well last month now) flown in and out of Miami and had no bother whatsoever I'm not sure what the problem is. 

You've been very lucky. We've flown through Miami several times and have never found it pleasant or easy.

Last time in Miami we had a 2 hour wait for wheelchair assistance. On other occasions passport control queues have been well over an hour. Miami is the main US hub airport for flights to Latin America, and can be utter chaos.