Divemonster

Military On Board Credit

I've just received a letter from my cruise agent informing me that Carnivan give current and ex military personnel extra on board credit. I'm aware this topic has previously been discussed but I couldn't find the link. I'm all for recognising the service to the Country provided by our Military personnel (albeit some probably did their time with no more danger than a sharp knife in the canteen) but if Carnivan are going to recognise this, how about recognising the contribution of other services. The Police, Fire and Ambulance service all often put their lives in danger for the Country. Also what about Lifeboat crews? If Carnival are going to offer extra on board credit why single out one particular sector. I am also aware that there is a Defence discount card so maybe this benefit may have been negotiated by them, in which case come on P&O extend it out to other services who do not have such representation.

Carnival are an American company and have recognized the contribution their service men have done for the country. The Americans are very good to their service men. I have flown to America many times and their service personnel, if in uniform, get priority treatment. Boarded first and offered upgrades if available. They are also given discounts on some stores and restaurants. Unfortunately we do not treat our troops so well.

Let's not complain that other professionals do not get the discount as the list would be never ending. Be pleased that anyone who have done Military service,how ever small are getting some recognition. I would hate to think the benefit was withdrawn because people are not happy about it.. . .

Irene 

I agree that there are other emergency services who also do a great job and deserve recognition however, to say "(albeit some probably did their time with no more danger than a sharp knife in the canteen)" is in my book disrespectful to those who have served our country.

I don't think the comment was meant disrespectfully, but its true to say that some peoples national service would have been peeling spuds for 2 years, yes they did their but and yes they served for the greater good, but I think the point was it wasn't really dangerous

I have today received a letter from Bolsover to advise about the military benefits, I was surprised as wasnt aware of this as nothing seems to be mentioned in the P&O brochure, I would say its refreshing for acompany to be pro-active in advising customers. On closer reflection it appears on P&O's website

Well done Bolsover

Thank you hturtle you understood the meaning of my comment. It was not meant to be disrespectful to those who served in conflict at all but that some people served in 'peace' time with no deployment to a dangerous environment.

I've just received a letter from my cruise agent informing me that Carnivan give current and ex military personnel extra on board credit. I'm aware this topic has previously been discussed but I couldn't find the link. I'm all for recognising the service to the Country provided by our Military personnel (albeit some probably did their time with no more danger than a sharp knife in the canteen) but if Carnivan are going to recognise this, how about recognising the contribution of other services. The Police, Fire and Ambulance service all often put their lives in danger for the Country. Also what about Lifeboat crews? If Carnival are going to offer extra on board credit why single out one particular sector. I am also aware that there is a Defence discount card so maybe this benefit may have been negotiated by them, in which case come on P&O extend it out to other services who do not have such representation.

I get what you're saying Divemonster, I'm sure we all want to receive something 'extra' when we book a holiday but where do Carnival draw the line? I'm sure people in all sectors feel like they deserve recognition for their hard work - I've worked for the post office for nearly 20 years, maybe I need recognising for my services too??!! laugh.png If Carnival did extend it to the Police and Fire services as you suggest, then these services also have non-dangerous (but essential) roles e.g admin clerks, would you disagree if they were included? Just playing devils advocate here! Lets be grateful Carnival are recognising military personnel at the moment, any 'extra' is a welcome bonus for them.

Nicely put Kerry304, your right we would all like a little extra, I am led to believe that the emergency services have something called a BLUE LIGHT CARD which gives them access to discounts in many areas and a cracking pension to boot. Personally in our job to coin the Yorkshire phrase we get 'nowt' so I know we would be grateful of the blue light card if we could use it.

Personally I value the service of our military personnel and our domestic emergency services. Where extra benefits are attracted fine. Yet as a GP I am the first to say our service is not at the same level. I have never supposed my life to be in danger, Could be in different circumstances but in my life wasn't. Lets continue to reward those who truly serve.

Personally I value the service of our military personnel and our domestic emergency services. Where extra benefits are attracted fine. Yet as a GP I am the first to say our service is not at the same level. I have never supposed my life to be in danger, Could be in different circumstances but in my life wasn't. Lets continue to reward those who truly serve.

And GP's are stonking rich rolleyes.gif

Guest Solent Richard

I agree that there are other emergency services who also do a great job and deserve recognition however, to say "(albeit some probably did their time with no more danger than a sharp knife in the canteen)" is in my book disrespectful to those who have served our country.

Good afternoon Divemonster and Nicole.

As someone with a vested interest in both Carnival and any benefits appertaining to serving in the Armed Forces I will offer my opinion.

Carnival, in its American hat offers certain privileges and discounts to United Staes military personnel; as do other US cruise lines.

Many years ago Cunard introduced a system where OBC was offered to 'Veterans' and I would hazard a guess that this has now been rolled out across the Carnival UK brand. 

Without sifting back through my records I can say that both myself and my wife enjoyed a handsome OBC allowance on two lengthy Cunard cruises in 2011. My wife clocked up 20 years service to my 30 years.

So this really is a benefit that recognises service to ones country. The armed forces aren't an emergency service: they are what it says on the tin; an armed force.

Personally I don't think service in the armed forces equates to that of other 'services' and it is probably a view that is shared by whoever is in a position to judge these benefits.

Now I will be the first to recognise the good jobs, essential springs to mind, that police, firemen (and women) and nurses do. But they don't exactly enter areas of conflict where the name of the game is for the other side to deliberately try to take their lives. Lets not also forget that when a servicemen, or woman, head into a conflict or duty, they leave their wives, husbands, girl and boyfriends, family and children at home: usually for months on end. Food for thought?

Oh, and one other thing. When the firemen went on strike,  who was called in to cover for them?

Solent Richard,

Food for thought indeed. I wonder what the percentage of service men there are eligible who served in times of conflict where their lives were at risk to the percentage who served in peace time with no danger to life.

This can go on and on. My original point was really to say why select one group of people for special benefit when there may be others who can put a deserving case as well. I joined the Combined Cadet Force, does that count?

Solent Richard,

Food for thought indeed. I wonder what the percentage of service men there are eligible who served in times of conflict where their lives were at risk to the percentage who served in peace time with no danger to life.

This can go on and on. My original point was really to say why select one group of people for special benefit when there may be others who can put a deserving case as well. I joined the Combined Cadet Force, does that count?

In times of conflict you know your enemy and in the supposed peacetime we had the troubles in Ireland so wherever the forces were stationed they were not safe and were always potential targets, have we ever really known a peacetime?

Not forgetting the fact our forces have stepped into being bin men, ambulance drivers, firefighters, helping flood victims and so on. I don't begrudge them a few quid extra OBC I think it is a nice thing. 

As I said in an earlier post, Carnival Corp. in the USA give discounts not only to Military but also police and fire personnel etc. Such a shame it is not extended to the UK. No doubt the person who is responsible for judging the criteria has never served in the military or any of the emergency services.

"Now I will be the first to recognise the good jobs, essential springs to mind, that police, firemen (and women) and nurses do. But they don't exactly enter areas of conflict where the name of the game is for the other side to deliberately try to take their lives. Lets not also forget that when a servicemen, or woman, head into a conflict or duty, they leave their wives, husbands, girl and boyfriends, family and children at home: usually for months on end. Food for thought"

I am sorry Richard but I have to disagree and from personal experience. I appreciate the difficult challenges that face the military, I was one of them, but it should not be forgotten that police have gone on duty and given their lives,17 of them in the last 3 years and lets not forget the firemen who have given their lives. Believe it or not, yes there are people out there who want to kill police officers. 

Guest Solent Richard

I rally do love these debates especially when aspects of the American cruising ethos are cherry picked in order to justify an argument.

Sure everyone would love to have more OBC, even my postman would be delighted.

Not withstanding the above I wonder how many would then willingly adopt the equally American trait of their tipping culture.

Hmmmmmn