Sign in to follow this  
Oldworldtraveller

Fred Olsen 2017/18

Last evening the IET in London hosted the Fred Olsen 2017/18 Itineraries launch. Nathan Philpott, Sales and Marketing Director told a captive audience from the world of travel that in 20171/18 'Fred' will be sailing from 10 convenient regional UK ports

“We are also committed to ensuring that we match our departure ports with the right kind of cruise itinerary, meaning that we can offer the shortest duration of Norwegian fjords experience, of just five nights, from the North Eastern port of Newcastle, and a 12-night Canaries and Madeira holiday from Falmouth, in the South West.”Fred. Olsen’s new 2017/18 cruise programme will include nine maiden calls, as follows:

Lipari, Italy; Heligoland, Germany; Amalfi, Italy; Lajes das Flores, Azores; Southwold, England; Ghent, Belgium; Olbia, on the island of Sardinia, Italy; Sorrento, Italy; and Pula, Croatia.

Black Watch will be setting sail on a 108-night ‘Wonders of the World’ cruise, whereby guests will experience five of the seven ‘New Wonders of the World’ – Chichén Itzá, the Colosseum, the ‘Lost City’ of Petra, Machu Picchu, and the Taj Mahal – plus the only surviving ‘Ancient Wonder’, the Great Pyramid of Giza. This incredible ‘Holiday of a Lifetime’ is bursting with magical, unforgettable experiences! 

Braemar will be serving Southampton and Dover in 2017/18, offering smaller-ship cruising to the UK cruise market on a variety of itineraries, including a 14-night ‘Spain & France Rivers’ sailing in April 2017 – which incorporates the Andalusian celebration of ‘The Seville Fair’, or ‘Feria de abril de Sevilla’ – a 10-night ‘Baltic’ cruise in July 2017, taking in the spectacular ‘Baltic Tall Ships Regatta’ in Klaipeda, and a seven-night ‘Belgium & Holland Rivers’ voyage in November 2017. Braemar will also be making a return to its popular Caribbean programme in 2018, with six fly-cruises between December 2017 and March 2018.

It was a great evening and certainly exciting times ahead for Fred Olsen.

post-1266-0-82362100-1457517586_thumb.jpg

Hi OWT ,

never been on Fred Olson, do you think we would like them?

We tried Balmoral last October and at the time of booking the young lady at Bolsover pointed out that the ship would not have the wow factor of Azura, that was our previous cruise, so we were somewhat hesitant. However, in line with supporting cruise lines that operate smaller ships we went ahead, and enjoyed the cruise so much that we are now booked on the same ship this month.

Hi OWT ,

never been on Fred Olson, do you think we would like them?

Hi Seawitch,

The honest answer to your question is that I am not sure. Having met you I would say you would enjoy the people on board and what the cruise line offers in the way of service and food. My hesitancy is that I know you like P&O and their ships are bigger thus being able to put on more theatre style entertainment but apart from that I would say give them a try and go for Balmoral the largest ship which a little smaller than Oriana. 

One factor that always seems to remain a positive for Fred Olsen is there desire to add new ports of call to their itineraries year on year and expand their range of destinations. I think they have been extremely shrewd in recent times. Many people I'm sure, myself included, have looked upon Fred Olsen at least once and thought "I'm not sure the small ships are for me." Instead of attempting to compete with the larger ships for flashy entertainment etc, they have moved themselves in a different direction and targeted the destination as their main focal point. They have attacked the one thing that larger ships cannot offer, which is the ability to sail to specific destinations that they are unable to reach due to their size. By focusing on the destination just as much as the journey itself, they seem to reinvented themselves and I've noticed more and more positive press about them of late. Good luck to them and well played Fred Olsen.

Hi Seawitch,

The honest answer to your question is that I am not sure. Having met you I would say you would enjoy the people on board and what the cruise line offers in the way of service and food. My hesitancy is that I know you like P&O and their ships are bigger thus being able to put on more theatre style entertainment but apart from that I would say give them a try and go for Balmoral the largest ship which a little smaller than Oriana. 

Thank you OWT as you know we find Princess to our taste. My only worry is seasickness on smaller ships, but we are quite tempted to try Fred.

Thank you OWT as you know we find Princess to our taste. My only worry is seasickness on smaller ships, but we are quite tempted to try Fred.

Boudicca, Black Watch and Balmoral all ride the waves extremely well. Braemar with a shallower draught is inclined to roll a bit in certain seas.