wheels36

Declaring block bookings.

Have just returned from a FO cruise that had a 74 member bridge party on board.

As a bridge player this suited me fine, but I did not know beforehand that this party was on board.

To facilitate their evening game the entire party had to be on first sittings, so clearly there are a significant number of people who have had to be given the less popular second sitting to facilitate the bridge party.

I think that cruise lines should declare any on board contract that they have with a third party, that may affect the decisions of ordinary passengers.

Yes Wheels I also think cruise lines should inform passengers at the time of booking if there are any block bookings onboard.

A number of years ago we took a Royal Caribbean Cruise onboard Navigator of the Seas , sailing out of Miami where there were a number of Harley Davison enthusiasts onboard together with their bikes .

At every port the Harley's engines could be heard revving up along the quayside !!!! Not my idea of a relaxing cruise ....we were totally unaware that passengers were allowed to take motor cycles on a cruise but perhaps they had been given special permission in the US because the block booking .

A great idea in theory, but I would hazard a guess that it may mean the cruise line would possibly fall foul of data protection in releasing the information as the customers could argue it's a breech of their privacy

This all sounds very good but what happens if the block booking is not the first booking made? The early people booking woukd still not know about the situation and I am sure they woukd not be allowed to switch cruises even uf they did. Great idea in rheory but in practice ....

I think in principle it is a good idea, but in reality a logistical nightmare!

I really don't think there is any way that the cruise lines could administer that in a fair way - it's no different to a hotel having a conference while you're there, there may be certain parts that you can't use but in general they don't preadvise of this.

I think in principle it is a good idea, but in reality a logistical nightmare!

I really don't think there is any way that the cruise lines could administer that in a fair way - it's no different to a hotel having a conference while you're there, there may be certain parts that you can't use but in general they don't preadvise of this.

It's very different from a hotel conference, unless you know a hotel that has first and second sittings.

I suppose it depends when they booked, if they booked early and 1st sitting was available at the time of booking then I don't think it is unreasonable, it is no different to 74 singles or 37 couples booking and requesting the same, if however it was a late booking which meant others who did book earlier wouldn't get their choice then that is wrong but I don't suppose any cruise line would divulge that information.

I doubt if cruise lines will declare block bookings because it would affect their ability to sell other cabins. Many people (including me) would not book a cruise with a large number of bikers, or American Girl doll fans, to mention two I have heard of recently. I always do an online search for a cruise before booking. Often these groups are advertising the cruise or discussing it on a forum.

I think cruise lines should declare large group bookings, if like the Ant & Dec cruise it is going to directly impact on their guests, like the closing of certain areas of the ship etc.

I would be pretty cheesed off if I was put back to second sitting to accommodate as in this case 74 bridge players, I think advance warning would give the option to choose another cruise.

HLM.