Sign in to follow this  
Captain Kidd II

What currency to take to the Baltic?

Can anyone advise onhe currency I should take to the Baltic? I am going on a few trips and, if ashore on our own, will only probably by a cup of coffee. I have the usual credit and debit cards as well as euros which will be ok for a couple of stops. I just cannot get in my head the need to take a further 5 different currencies!

I know Russians do like Dollers but never been so i wouldnt be able to help.

Whilst on the subject what currecy would i be able to use in Norway would it just be the Norweign Krone or would they take anything else? Thanks

Hi Rum+Sun

In nearly all Norwegian cafes/shops regularly frequented by tourists particularly cruise ships will accept Euros or Dollars.  A few attractions will not accept these currencies such as the mountain railway in Bergen but credit cards are welcomed.

We have been on Baltic cruises 3 times and euros were accepted by street sellers in Russia with no problem and taken a small amount for use in Denmark and Sweden the rest were all euros anyway.  Problem is if you purchase small items/coffee in Denmark/Sweden/Poland you have to ask if they will take euros, which isn't always guaranteed, and if they do the exchange rate will be strongly in their favour so make already expensive items even more so. You have to weigh up the pros and cons of taking £50 in local currency per country or risking paying well over the odds or wanting to buy something and they wont accept euros.

i visiited Russia about 10 years ago now it was amazing. i took us dollars and they seemed to accept them everywhere and alot cheaper to buy things in dollars. whether that is still the case i dont know but i do know they loved the us dollar.