Sign in to follow this  
Stevepamg

New ships needed?

If Fred Olsen are considering a new ship there are quite a few positives around at present to justify. 

A new 1000 passenger capacity ship could require as little as £30 pppd to be added to a cruise cost, and since Saga are currently marketing FO cruises at a premium for minimal additional extras, it would seem that the minimum financial requirements could be easily met.

However, add to that restrictions on numbers entering ports such as the 8000 limit imposed by Santorini, with the likelihood of other popular ports following suit, and the case for the smaller ship strengthens.

Then quite recently FO have admitted themselves that they underestimated demand for the new Indian Ocean itinerary, further strengthening the case for new ports of call that are only within the scope of the smaller ship.

I have only been on Balmoral and Braemar booked to go on Boudica next year but from what I have seen they are kept in very good condition for their age but I do think its about time Black Watch was replaced but for something of a similar size, please no more floating blocks of flats keep it small.

More importantly I would like to see more modern facilities on board. Young couples and young at heart people like us like to cruise with Fred but I do feel that facilities are a bit old fashioned.