Tinkerbell

When do you start packing

We are taking a holiday this weekend, just my wife and I, however we have not started packing yet. It will probably be a thursday or friday night.

Oooh lovely, where are you off too maxbranning87?

Hi Samfox01,

We are only popping down to Cornwall for Week, I do hope that the weather takes a turn for the best. Its rather herendous at the moment isnt it? 

Unfortunately we are not away on a cruise, so are you a late packer? Or are you much more organised?

I am an eager beaver, however dont pack until really the night before, i have 2 young girls, so i have to organsise them first, and then myself, and keep reminding my husband to get his things out incase anything needs ironing. So a late packer, but an organised one i would say. Well i hope the weather turns out for the best for you, i do think its going to start coming nice again from the weekend. Are you going anywhere nice in Cornwall? have you been before?

That is very kind of you to say. Yes myself and my wife have been thier many many times, taking the children when they were younger, and now we like to re-live our memories, and now we also have grandchildren we like to take down. We are stopping in Perrenporth, we have visited this area a few times, again when the children were small, as its a lovely little town/seaside resort, very quite. How about you samfox01, are you going anywhere this year?

That sounds gorgeous, I have only been once with the family and we stopped in Porth? I dont know if you know it? We havent booked anything yet, as my little girl starts school in September, i think we will just be doing breaks in the UK, over the summer as we will be preparing for that too happen. Exciting times...

I like to start packing just a few days before I go! I don't like to leave it too late as I always forget something and having to make a dash to the shops the day before we go.

Day before! Absolutely useless....and then spend the entire journey to the airport/port panicking that I've forgotten something....

It's almost as if you forget that wherever you are going there will be shops - it's not the moon haha!

I have 4 master lists - hot cruises & cold cruises, winter hotel stays & hot hotel stays. Most of the lists have the same items on them such as toiletries & medicines, binoculars, camera & chargers, underwear etc and only vary in clothing items, footwear, coats etc. About a month before a holiday I copy out the most appropriate list & check I've got all the toiletries etc & then 2 or 3 days before we go I gather together everything on the list ticking them off as I go & then shove them all in the cases.

I have had the same list for years and tick off stuff in the weeks before, such as toiletries ect  but leave all the clothes until last minute so still feel like i've forgotten something!

Nor me Tally, everything other than clothes I pack about 4 weeks in advance and clothes are packed a couple of days before we leave but all my dresses / evening wear/suits etc I pack on hangers in covers and these I pack the morning we are leaving as it literally takes 5 minutes.

I never Pack?? 

Mrs D  has that job ,with my help and advice ,she seems to cures a lot when I do offer my advice??

We normally start around a month before  and the final pack the night before we leave home ,some of the stuff just goes for a trip out we pack to much stuff we never put on . I suppose leaving room for the new shoes we buy is a good idea....Davyberolleyes.gif

I pack two days befor, so thatI have one day to clear up, because I make so much mess, coat hangers all over the place, and so many maybes that need to be put away again. I make a list, then another list, then the final list, but guess what? I enjoy it, all part of the joy of going away

On our return from a cruise i leave toiletry bag down, make a list and replace all needed. Then I put it away at the top of my wardrobe.

This time i have excelled myself though!

We are booked for a cruise next April and yes the toiletries are all ready - but we have left the cases downstairs in the spare bedroom and I have taken shorts/tee shirts down - (in fact anything which I won't need again until we cruise is ready)  and put them in the drawers.

Like someone else said my hubby also start 'small piles' of clothes around our bedroom, which quite frankly does my head in as I can't clean properly without moving it !