Sign in to follow this  
cruise chef

Leaving the EU

I think Europe thought we would stay in the EU and yes it has hit them hard that the vote did not go that way. There are racist's in every country in the whole world ours is no different but if we are such a racist country and so very intolerant of anyone not British then why are we such a nation of givers? We as a small country are the first to set up charity events such as Red nose and Comic relief and year on year we give huge amounts of money to help others from all walks of life and other countries, I don't think anyone can say the UK is racist.

I agree completely but what worries me is what the people of Germany/Austria are being led to believe by the newspapers in their countries we all know what newspapers can do i.e. Hillsborough. Unfortunately even as a nation of givers that is something that would be widely reported or known in other countries. I am fearful that people will think we are a nation of racists because of what is being reported in their respective countries and that is why we voted to leave the EU.

So what do you base your future forecasts of doom and gloom on as all the indicators are that we won't be as bad off as the "experts" have been forecasting?

Footsie 250 back to pre-brexit levels

Pound Euro back to pre brexit levels 

And now some of the big business men are saying they don't think it will affect them as much as they feared.

I spoke to a senior official at BaeSystems who told me their order books are full so no change for them.

Now the banks are changing their attitudes..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3669029/Two-Britain-s-biggest-banks-say-stay-UK-following-Brexit-Bosses-HSBC-Barclays-confirm-no-plans-leave.html

So please tell me how you have come to the conclusion that Britain is Bust?

You really do live in cloud cuckoo land and you are very god at picking figures to suit your argument. The tourist rate for purchasing of euros has never been so low for a long time and with the soon reduction in interest rates already intimated by Governor of BoE and the bounce is shares is just the money men buying when it dropped significantly since last Friday morning some by as much as 35%. There are just as many large companies announcing that they are considering leaving the UK and for obvious reasons because of their sensitive nature banks will not reveal that they are considering leaving the UK. You talk as if it was a minor blip that we are now over after less than a week and now everything is wonderful and rosy in the garden but I fear with interest rates being reduced initially to instigate growth and then being increased to combat inflation which will happen and the future spending cuts to save money that has been spent propping the pound up this last week, which without would have seen even a bigger drop in currency, we are only at the start of a long bumpy road that might take us into another recession of which we were only just recovering from the last one.

I find it quite amusing really. I can fully respect where Wheels is coming from and the same with you Terminator. My amusement comes from the fact that throughout the whole Brexit referendum debate, the Leave campaign focused entirely on ignoring the "experts" and focusing on the realities of the man on the street. Now the Leave vote has won out a majority, the Leave campaigners are focusing on the markets meanwhile it's the man on the street that's suffering. It's a touch ironic you have to admit.

See there you go again..

already intimated by Governor of BoE 

they are considering 

and the future spending cut

we are only at the start of a long bumpy road that might take us into another recession of which we were only just recovering from the last one.

If, and, might, maybe.etc.....

Can you not see that none of this is based on fact....just your opinion and frankly scaremongering on an almost industrial scale.....

I note from some comments that we are told shares have recovered to pre Brexit levels, that would depend entirely on how you want to manipulate the figures, financial stocks certainly haven't as I have shares in one of them that currently are still trading 20% less than they were before the vote

So to sum it up each side can happily say everything is either good or bad, both if they were Pinocchio would probably have noses that stretched from Lands End to John O Groats!! The voters have made a decision and we all have to go with it!! Whether we like it or not

I just want to book my next holiday smile.png

Spot on cruise chef. Neither side seems to know where the lies end and the truth begins. The decision has been made though and that's that. I may have been on the losing side in the referendum but I do not support this petition for a second referendum. It will only destabilise the country and the economy further, that I am sure of. The majority voted to leave and as such it must be respected. The sooner the country comes together in realisation of this rather than focusing on the "what if's?" or  "Shoula, woulda, coulda's" the better off we'll all be, and that's coming from a remain supporter.

What we need now is a plan of action, something that appears to be severely lacking based on the current views of parliament but I do believe we'll get there. The run on the pound and the overall economical state will take a hit. Of that I am also certain but I am also certain that we'll survive and that we'll come through it. A recession is a possibility but only a possibility, not a certainty. I believe the money saved on payments sent to the EU will be required to prop up our economy for a period of time, hopefully not too long.

The best thing we can hope for now is that both leading parties sort themselves out, stop the internal bickering that is quite frankly more embarrassing than our nations football team (which is saying something) and get things moving again. 

I note from some comments that we are told shares have recovered to pre Brexit levels, that would depend entirely on how you want to manipulate the figures, financial stocks certainly haven't as I have shares in one of them that currently are still trading 20% less than they were before the vote

So to sum it up each side can happily say everything is either good or bad, both if they were Pinocchio would probably have noses that stretched from Lands End to John O Groats!! The voters have made a decision and we all have to go with it!! Whether we like it or not

I just want to book my next holiday smile.png

Hi Chef

The best widely recognised indicator is the Footsie 250..and that's back to pre Brexit levels.

And that's a FRIDAY FACT...

Spot on cruise chef. Neither side seems to know where the lies end and the truth begins. The decision has been made though and that's that. I may have been on the losing side in the referendum but I do not support this petition for a second referendum. It will only destabilise the country and the economy further, that I am sure of. The majority voted to leave and as such it must be respected. The sooner the country comes together in realisation of this rather than focusing on the "what if's?" or  "Shoula, woulda, coulda's" the better off we'll all be, and that's coming from a remain supporter.

What we need now is a plan of action, something that appears to be severely lacking based on the current views of parliament but I do believe we'll get there. The run on the pound and the overall economical state will take a hit. Of that I am also certain but I am also certain that we'll survive and that we'll come through it. A recession is a possibility but only a possibility, not a certainty. I believe the money saved on payments sent to the EU will be required to prop up our economy for a period of time, hopefully not too long.

The best thing we can hope for now is that both leading parties sort themselves out, stop the internal bickering that is quite frankly more embarrassing than our nations football team (which is saying something) and get things moving again. 

Sammy, we have spent many years of EU payments already, just propping up the pound in this last week.

Rubbish..not one fact to back that up..scaremongering.

Our payment to the EU is 18 billion a year so you're saying we've paid that many times over propping up the pound since last Friday?

And no mention of it in any paper..but you know it?

Do you honestly think they could or would keep that quiet?

Brexit is working fine for me, on reducing my equities etc by a 7 figure sum in the last few months, I find that my hedge fund investing has led me to great profit over the last week or so, despite my voting for Leave.   Funny old world this one - all this money that is lost by the bank of england has to be won by someone, and luckily it seems to be me - I am rich lol (sorry for the tongue in cheek post to anyone who has to comment on here about how 'rich' they are, albeit not in a direct way).

Terminator, I also have yet to read of anywhere that states categorically that the Bank of England has had to prop up anything.   But when your equities are looking seriously awry, then I guess a bit of embroidery doesn't do any harm rolleyes.gif

The problem is we will not stop paying into the EU at least 2yrs after Article 50 is instigated and could be longer I think that a lot of money will be needed in the meantime to as you say "prop up our economy" and that will come from BofE and will have to be paid by the rest of us in more austerity.

So what do you base your future forecasts of doom and gloom on as all the indicators are that we won't be as bad off as the "experts" have been forecasting?

Footsie 250 back to pre-brexit levels

Pound Euro back to pre brexit levels 

And now some of the big business men are saying they don't think it will affect them as much as they feared.

I spoke to a senior official at BaeSystems who told me their order books are full so no change for them.

Now the banks are changing their attitudes..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3669029/Two-Britain-s-biggest-banks-say-stay-UK-following-Brexit-Bosses-HSBC-Barclays-confirm-no-plans-leave.html

So please tell me how you have come to the conclusion that Britain is Bust?

It all becomes clear now you obviously believe all that is said in the Daily Wail which so happened announced prior to the referendum they were for a "leave vote". To be honest I wouldn't believe the date in that rag its on a par with The Sun it is only recently reported problems on a cruise in the Far East with a P&O AUS cruise ship and showed pictures to accompany report of Arcadia think that says it all about accurate reporting.

It's a bit sad really that we will continue paying into the EU because we appear to be the only country out of the 28 who abide by all the rules and regulations of the EU - the rest of the countries just seem to dip in and out of the bits that suit them - particularly the French.   If we stopped paying them what would they do?   The German car market would start to cave in if they decided to punish us - we buy 20% of their vehicles - a big chunk - and a big loss to them should they start to be difficult.   We are the single largest importer of Champagne - some French would soon start to feel the pinch should we decide to kick it into touch and the French do so love striking and causing a fuss - our champagne ban would soon add fuel to their fire.    

We make every assumption that we will always play their game - and probably we will, because we Brits are like that.    However, maybe the worm has started to turn.   Not just here, but in large parts of Europe as well.    From everything I read - the EU does not feel quite as stable as it did a week past Wednesday.

It all becomes clear now you obviously believe all that is said in the Daily Wail which so happened announced prior to the referendum they were for a "leave vote". To be honest I wouldn't believe the date in that rag its on a par with The Sun it is only recently reported problems on a cruise in the Far East with a P&O AUS cruise ship and showed pictures to accompany report of Arcadia think that says it all about accurate reporting.

Fair enough..how about The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/jul/01/ftse-100-defies-brexit-turmoil-and-hits-10-month-high

You keep denying what's in front of you and the rest of us will live in the real world

Rubbish..not one fact to back that up..scaremongering.

Our payment to the EU is 18 billion a year so you're saying we've paid that many times over propping up the pound since last Friday?

And no mention of it in any paper..but you know it?

Do you honestly think they could or would keep that quiet?

Not really kept quiet.

Read Theresa May statement about previous plans for budget balance in 2020 being abandoned.

No choice because of what B of E has spent.

Francois Hollande has caught the mood and upped the ante by stating that article 50 once called cannot be stopped.

Being in the European Union has advantages,” added the president, alluding to voters who opted to leave but have since expressed regrets. “And that’s ... what the British are starting to understand. Those who were tempted by the Brexit are starting to think it over.”

No chance of this foolish adventure ever happening, but meanwhile "Rome burns".

I do wonder why Europe are so concerned about us leaving after all if we are such an insignificant little island why are they so bothered about us going?

Makes me wonder who has the advantage if we had stayed and I don't think it would have been UK.

Francois Hollande has caught the mood and upped the ante by stating that article 50 once called cannot be stopped.

Being in the European Union has advantages,” added the president, alluding to voters who opted to leave but have since expressed regrets. “And that’s ... what the British are starting to understand. Those who were tempted by the Brexit are starting to think it over.”

No chance of this foolish adventure ever happening, but meanwhile "Rome burns".

Lol..Project Fear really has spooked you hasn't it?

Hollande is crapping himself as he knows that they will have to help make up the 18 billion a year shortfall....and they want to stop trading with us as well...a double financial whammy.

Marine Le Pen promising their own referendum when she gets in next year....the French are starting to see the light as well.

And you're just hoping it won't happen with no facts to back up your hopes.

Best get yourself a job abroad and live over Sur Le Continent because this train ain't stopping.

Lol..Project Fear really has spooked you hasn't it?

Hollande is crapping himself as he knows that they will have to help make up the 18 billion a year shortfall....and they want to stop trading with us as well...a double financial whammy.

Marine Le Pen promising their own referendum when she gets in next year....the French are starting to see the light as well.

And you're just hoping it won't happen with no facts to back up your hopes.

Best get yourself a job abroad and live over Sur Le Continent because this train ain't stopping.

Do you really believe that a UK premier is going to initiate article 50 and turn the UK into Greece?

There you go AGAIN..scaremongering with no basis in fact.

I now believe you're either on a wind up or just plain stupid.

Think its you that is on a wind up or just plain stupid.

Think its you that is on a wind up or just plain stupid.

How do you work that out?

I've back my discussion with facts at every possible juncture.

And all that you and wheels have posted is negative scaremongering with no basis in fact.

I'm glad Remain lost if you two are indicative of their supporters.

All that I have been doing is trying to raise the level of the discussion to the next level above "rock bottom", but as the saying goes "some fell on stony ground".

Or as the lyrics from "The Boxer" go,

"Such are promises
All lies and jests
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest"