Sign in to follow this  
cruise chef

Leaving the EU

There is not going to be another referendum on this. The time for that has passed and as I've said before, the majority voted leave so let's get on with it. On the other hand however, having watched QT recently and listened to the words of Ian Hislop, I thought his comments were excellent and spot on.

He said:

When a government in this country wins an election, the opposition does not say ‘oh that’s absolutely right I’ve got nothing to say for five years‘.

After an election or a referendum, even if you lose the vote, you are entitled to go on making the argument.

So, for those of us trying really hard over the last few weeks to follow what on earth is happening in this country: the Leave vote has left us with a group of leaders who, having lit the fire, have run away saying someone else can clear up the mess; the Prime Minister who put us in the mess has resigned; everybody is gone; all the people who put their cross down for Leave saying ‘this is what we want‘ – they seem to be getting a group of people who say ‘we can’t stop immigration, we can’t get £350 million, oh and there might be quite a lot of austerity… sorry, bye!‘

He makes some good points. Just because people are speaking up their concerns or opinions on the EU referendum result doesn't make them inappropriate or incorrect, it just emphasises even further that this is a democracy and the right to voice your opinion remains a valuable one. Thankfully one party has reached a conclusion over it's leader and we shall have a new Prime Minister soon to begin the process of steering us in the right direction. Hopefully other parties will follow suit and we can get back to focusing on the country moving forward.

It must be awful to live in the doom and gloom world Wheels, Parliament will not be forced to cancel a democratic vote because you and  the remainer's  don't like the idea that   democracy won ,[ thats mob rule]    the economy is not in ruins the fact is most businesses are looking forward not back and Theresa May will not give in  to such undemocratic measures  as you suggest so why not talk your country up instead of down? CG

The real world is the one that I live in, that's why I have read "The Economist" for the last twenty years, and not the garbage that most people in this country read. 

We will not be leaving the "single market" because we cannot, and despite all  the talk of Brexit nothing will result from this fiasco other than a seriously weakened economy.

If you wish to take a step closer to the real world then try and work out how a new Prime Minister who has not won a General Election, and with a "wafer thin" majority of 16 is going to do anything. 

There will only be one thing on Theresa May's mind for the next six months, and that is saving the Conservative Party from disintegrating.

I think for the democracy of this country and the fact that the majority has voted to leave the EU this will and should happen and think what the country needs for businesses and the markets is stability and think the quick appointment of Theresa May as PM is good for this reason only. I am no Conservative voter and voted to remain in the EU and under "normal" circumstances when a new PM takes over whether it be Theresa May  or when Gordon Brown took over from Tony Blair I have always said that they should call a quick election to get a mandate from the country to be PM. On this occasion I don't think it would be a good idea for the stability reason which is what the country needs at the moment. I am a strong believer in democracy and even if you don't get what you voted for that is what democracy is all about and think the only chance of a second referendum on leaving the EU ever being held is if Theresa May called an election before instigating Article 50 and she lost and the new government called one.

The democracy that we have is one that gives us a vote for representatives, who in turn make important decisions on our behalf.

The reasons for this are sound in that our elected members are above average intelligence, and also have privileged access to expert opinion.

There is no place in our democratic system for advisory referendums, other than when the ruling party has a separate agenda, as in this case to destroy UKIP.

The fact that Cameron chose to risk the UK economy for party reasons says much about the man, and the result of this means that there will never be another referendum in this country in the lifetime of any living person.

The lesson has been learned and no Premier will ever again leave the keys to the "powder keg" in Bedlam.

The democracy that we have is one that gives us a vote for representatives, who in turn make important decisions on our behalf.

The reasons for this are sound in that our elected members are above average intelligence, and also have privileged access to expert opinion.

There is no place in our democratic system for advisory referendums, other than when the ruling party has a separate agenda, as in this case to destroy UKIP.

The fact that Cameron chose to risk the UK economy for party reasons says much about the man, and the result of this means that there will never be another referendum in this country in the lifetime of any living person.

The lesson has been learned and no Premier will ever again leave the keys to the "powder keg" in Bedlam.

Aaahahahahahahahahah...you cannot be serious man...they've certainly got you duped...biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png biggrin.png

So what do you base your future forecasts of doom and gloom on as all the indicators are that we won't be as bad off as the "experts" have been forecasting?

Footsie 250 back to pre-brexit levels

Pound Euro back to pre brexit levels 

And now some of the big business men are saying they don't think it will affect them as much as they feared.

I spoke to a senior official at BaeSystems who told me their order books are full so no change for them.

Now the banks are changing their attitudes..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3669029/Two-Britain-s-biggest-banks-say-stay-UK-following-Brexit-Bosses-HSBC-Barclays-confirm-no-plans-leave.html

So please tell me how you have come to the conclusion that Britain is Bust?

Do you  on recent events still have the same views that the £ against the $ and Euro are back to pre brexit levels and the statement that businesses will not be affected as first feared. $ was in June around $1-45 to the £ now $1-25 and the Euro in June around 1-30ish and now 1-10 and could drop even further. Interest rates already been cut and more than likely be cut again by B of E soon and inflation on the rise.

Come back and ask in 5 years time when the real Brexit has had time to take effect.

You're only pointing out the negatives without pointing out the positives.

Should have put your money in shares like I did...I'm rolling in it.

That world cruise might be on the cards yet..

Come back and ask in 5 years time when the real Brexit has had time to take effect.

You were preaching that there was no panic and no effect on the markets within days of referendum now because what you stated was completely wrong and you will not admit you were wrong you are now "moving the goal posts" and say come back in 5yrs.........laughable.

Once again you are preaching without knowing the facts. You do not know where my money is and how much I have which is nothing to do with you.

Then what you squinnying about?

Make hay whilst the sun shines.

Prove to me what you are doom and glooming about has anything to do with Brexit and not just part of the natural order of the world.

P.S.

Manufacturing is at it's highest for many years as our exports are now cheaper and will lead to our negative equity with the EU to be redressed.

But of course you conveniently left that out because that is positive news.

Oh and by the way. .the pound was 1.11 euros in 2008

It's 1.13 today

So what did you blame it on then??

Then what you squinnying about?

Make hay whilst the sun shines.

Prove to me what you are doom and glooming about has anything to do with Brexit and not just part of the natural order of the world.

P.S.

Manufacturing is at it's highest for many years as our exports are now cheaper and will lead to our negative equity with the EU to be redressed.

But of course you conveniently left that out because that is positive news.

Oh and by the way. .the pound was 1.11 euros in 2008

It's 1.13 today

So what did you blame it on then??

What about those companies that import and are now paying more for their products/food which will cause inflation and put less money in everybodies pocket and the price of oil which is priced in dollars causing increase in price of petrol/diesel and therefore have a knock on to companies delivering products/food around the country

On the positive side anyone who holds Carnival shares for the additional obs will find they have had a windfall as, due to trading in the $,the shares have increased again. I am standing at about a 50% profit, excluding dividends and obs, on my original outlay.

Sorry but if your line of defence is the Daily Express against Office of National Statistics then you are as stupid as I thought the only thing I would believe in Daily Express is the date.

Okay then clever clogs,,how about this then..

The Brexit vote has had no major impact on the economy, the Office for National Statistics said on Wednesday.

“The referendum result appears, so far, not to have had a major effect on the UK economy,” ONS chief economist Joe Grice said, whilst warning that worse could be yet to come. “It hasn't fallen at the first fence but longer-term effects remain to be seen,” he said.

Hoisted by your own petard and game, set and match to Terminator.

Good night loser..wink.png  biggrin.png

Grow uprolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif you are obviously that arrogant that you have to have the last word even when you are wrong and I assume that the sort of person you are you are never wrong on anything even when you are.

Isn't this a cruise forum rather than a playground where one is trying to go one better than the other? Get over Brexit and get on cruising!

Well it was dead and buried until one of the losers( remainders) brought it back to life only to get his derriere spanked.

Oh and Cruise and Maritime are loving the Brexit vote and so will any other cruise line that has the pound as its onboard currency and sails from the UK.

Which ever way anyone voted it's good to see the £Pound gaining strength against the Dollar and Euro. Also good news on the export and employment front.

Unfortunately we are living in an age when people talk about democracy but don't abide by rules if their side loses.  Hilary lost to Trump but now wants a re-count in 3 states. Brexit remainers lost and want a second referendum. 

Personally I believe we should abide by the rules, there are many countries in the world where democracy is just a dream.

Watched "Question time" and Alan Johnston Nailed it .

He Said the 4 freedoms  were thought up when the Eu was 6 strong in 1958 ?

We are now 28 strong and in 2016 much has changed in that time ,lots of countries are concerned about the levels of immigration.especially countries who have taken high numbers of refugees   .

The EU will eventually have to change its mind regarding border control as more nations threaten referendums .

Nice to see the out of touch numpties have awarded themselves and the Commission employees a3-5 % pay rise  just to rub  our noses in it...Davybe