Do members of the forum think it is fair to expect children to pay gratuities when they reach the age of 12yrs.  I had a paper round at that age but don't think it would have covered the cost.  biggrin.png What about you?

Do members of the forum think it is fair to expect children to pay gratuities when they reach the age of 12yrs.  I had a paper round at that age but don't think it would have covered the cost.  biggrin.png What about you?

Do those children get served food and drink?  Do they have their beds made by the room steward?

Yes, I think it's fair that all passengers should pay the service charge if they receive the service.

Dst87 - in that case you could say that toddlers get served, have their beds made & use the children's clubs but surely you wouldn't expect them to pay gratuities. Personally I don't think that children ( actually their parents) should have to pay them until they're about 16.

Dst87 - in that case you could say that toddlers get served, have their beds made & use the children's clubs but surely you wouldn't expect them to pay gratuities. Personally I don't think that children ( actually their parents) should have to pay them until they're about 16.

I couldn't care less if toddlers were to be charged gratuities by the cruise line.  It's up to the cruise lines what they want to do.  As Twomagpies rightly states, as long as information about who the daily service charge applies to and how much it is is freely available I don't have any problem.

I doubt the cruise lines would start charging toddlers because parents would have a riot.  But if they did?  Well, parents can vote with their feet, or pay up.

I couldn't care less if toddlers were to be charged gratuities by the cruise line.  It's up to the cruise lines what they want to do.  As Twomagpies right states, as long as information about who the daily service charge applies to and how much it is is freely available I don't have any problem.

I doubt the cruise lines would start charging toddlers because parents would have a riot.  But if they did?  Well, parents can vote with their feet, or pay up.

I agree Duncan, as long as the information is freely available at the time of booking parents shouldn't really have an issue.

That said if they feel that strongly about the charge, I assume they can opt out if they so wish.

What's the problem?

HLM.

Cruise lines do expect toddlers to pay the gratuities, which I don't think is right. For example with Celebrity or Royal Caribbean if you pre pay them you can be paying £120 extra for a 1 year old for a 2 week cruise - I think that's ridiculous. But I think they should have to pay from 12 years old - or at least a percentage of the gratuities.

Do those children get served food and drink?  Do they have their beds made by the room steward?

Yes, I think it's fair that all passengers should pay the service charge if they receive the service.

Totally agree.  I've always happily paid the service charge (or whatever you want to call it) for my two children.

Cruise lines do expect toddlers to pay the gratuities, which I don't think is right. For example with Celebrity or Royal Caribbean if you pre pay them you can be paying £120 extra for a 1 year old for a 2 week cruise - I think that's ridiculous. But I think they should have to pay from 12 years old - or at least a percentage of the gratuities.

A child regardless of age takes up a berth on the ship, therefore rightly or wrongly I assume the cruiselines expectation is that they pay.

Now if there were say an average 500 children onboard in summer holidays who didn't pay grats, that's a significant loss to the crew in their wages.

The way I see it is that in most cases people would've known the gratuity policy at the time of booking so they shouldn't really moan, however if people really don't like the charge they can on most lines opt out, it's really that simple.

HLM.

Children usually share a cabin with adults. So it's not really a loss to the crews wages if they don't pay because the adults would pay the same as adults in a cabin with no children.

Children usually share a cabin with adults. So it's not really a loss to the crews wages if they don't pay because the adults would pay the same as adults in a cabin with no children.

I beg to differ, if a ship carries a maximum of 5000 passengers, children would form part of the total.

Therefore 500 non gratuity paying children would mean a potential 10% loss in payments.

Ever wondered why cruiselines rarely do child free places, it's the same principle non paying guests don't generate profitable income.

HLM.

To me it's simple.

When I go on a cruise I expect to receive good service; I also expect my children to receive good service.  I expect to pay for the service.

Do you do the same if you go in a hotel pay a service charge/gratuity every day and for every person whether they are adult or children I very much doubt it. If you go on holiday for 14nts say as a family of four (two adult/two children) on a P&O cruise that would amount to £308 in gratuities I bet you don't hand over the head waiter or put that amount in the tip jar at reception I bet you don't so why should cruise lines be any different.

Do you do the same if you go in a hotel pay a service charge/gratuity every day and for every person whether they are adult or children I very much doubt it. If you go on holiday for 14nts say as a family of four (two adult/two children) on a P&O cruise that would amount to £308 in gratuities I bet you don't hand over the head waiter or put that amount in the tip jar at reception I bet you don't so why should cruise lines be any different.

If you go to a hotel in the UK, I'd imagine the staff is paid far more handsomely than those on board your favourite cruise ship.  Paying separately for service (let's not call them tips; even most of the cruise lines have stopped that) is part of the cruising way of doing things, which is largely modeled on the North American way of doing things.  You don't stuff your waiter on his/her tip in a US restaurant, just as you don't stuff the staff who serve you at sea.

Stay in a hotel in the US and you'll tip the waiter in the restaurant, the maid who cleans your room and turns it down in the evening, and the bar staff who serve you drinks.

In any case, everyone has the ability to decide which form of travel offers them the best value for money.  If you find cruising doesn't represent good value for money for you and your family, there are many other choices.

If you go to a hotel in the UK, I'd imagine the staff is paid far more handsomely than those on board your favourite cruise ship.  Paying separately for service (let's not call them tips; even most of the cruise lines have stopped that) is part of the cruising way of doing things, which is largely modeled on the North American way of doing things.  You don't stuff your waiter on his/her tip in a US restaurant, just as you don't stuff the staff who serve you at sea.

Stay in a hotel in the US and you'll tip the waiter in the restaurant, the maid who cleans your room and turns it down in the evening, and the bar staff who serve you drinks.

In any case, everyone has the ability to decide which form of travel offers them the best value for money.  If you find cruising doesn't represent good value for money for you and your family, there are many other choices.

You are not comparing "like for like" the staff on cruise ships are far better off in their comparative countries of origin because of lower wages and living standards than any waiters or hotel staff are paid in the UK which is notoriously always been amongst the lowest paid.

As for your statement in an earlier comment "I couldn't care less if toddlers were to be charged gratuities by the cruise line" that is a very selfish and I am alright jack attitude.

You are not comparing "like for like" the staff on cruise ships are far better off in their comparative countries of origin because of lower wages and living standards than any waiters or hotel staff are paid in the UK which is notoriously always been amongst the lowest paid.

As for your statement in an earlier comment "I couldn't care less if toddlers were to be charged gratuities by the cruise line" that is a very selfish and I am alright jack attitude.

I think your comment is an "I'm alright Jack" attitude.  The staff on cruise ships are working very very long hours away from their family to try and provide.  They work contracts so are not employed full time (so the money they earn has to keep them while they're off contract too) and frankly people who pay for cruises can afford to pay the staff serving them a decent wage, so why shouldn't we?  We can help people attain a better standard of living than perhaps they're used to.

As for my comment about gratuities being charged to toddlers:  I don't think that's selfish at all.  It's up to the cruise line what they want to charge and parents can either pay up or go elsewhere if they believe they can get better value for money by doing so.  I didn't know that some cruise lines already do apply the DSC to young children - if so then it's up to those parents whether or not they want to sail with that line or sail elsewhere.

Having kids is a choice and an expensive one at that.  I'm amazed that there seem to be parents who are shocked that holidaying with kids costs money.  Of course it does!

I think that you have misunderstood my point.

I expect to receive good service and I expect my children to receive the same good service.  I don't expect that service to be free.  I don't expect the service my children receive to be free either.

Sometimes service is charged separately and sometimes it is included.  In both cases I pay it.  It is not unusual for restaurants to charge a separate service charge, others  might have have a cover charge.  I have never refused to pay.

As you point out in some cases the service charge is low anyway - your example equates to £22 per day.  I have always received £22 worth of service from my stewards and waiters on a cruise, not to mention those folk that I don't see.

I will revisit my approach when the service received does not merit the service charge, but in that situation I shall also revisit my choice of cruise line.

I think that you have misunderstood my point.

I expect to receive good service and I expect my children to receive the same good service.  I don't expect that service to be free.  I don't expect the service my children receive to be free either.

Sometimes service is charged separately and sometimes it is included.  In both cases I pay it.  It is not unusual for restaurants to charge a separate service charge, others  might have have a cover charge.  I have never refused to pay.

As you point out in some cases the service charge is low anyway - your example equates to £22 per day.  I have always received £22 worth of service from my stewards and waiters on a cruise, not to mention those folk that I don't see.

I will revisit my approach when the service received does not merit the service charge, but in that situation I shall also revisit my choice of cruise line.

My example of £22 per day was what a family of four (2adults,2 children) would pay if children had to pay gratuities on a P&O cruise which happens to be one of the lowest in the cruise market. My argument is that the staff in a hotel work just as hard as any staff on a cruise ship but no doubt not many would give them £22 per day in tips for servicing the rooms and waiting on for their meals so what is the difference. The only difference is staff get very poorly paid in cruise ships because the cruise lines promise them a fantastic wage compared to what they would get in their respective countries by brainwashing us the customer to pay gratuities to cover the cost of the wages so therefore not paid by the cruise line so increasing their already huge profits.

My example of £22 per day was what a family of four (2adults,2 children) would pay if children had to pay gratuities on a P&O cruise which happens to be one of the lowest in the cruise market. My argument is that the staff in a hotel work just as hard as any staff on a cruise ship but no doubt not many would give them £22 per day in tips for servicing the rooms and waiting on for their meals so what is the difference. The only difference is staff get very poorly paid in cruise ships because the cruise lines promise them a fantastic wage compared to what they would get in their respective countries by brainwashing us the customer to pay gratuities to cover the cost of the wages so therefore not paid by the cruise line so increasing their already huge profits.

My point is very simply that a cruise is one of those situations where you pay service separately.  I have given other examples of where that is the case.  If I was staying in a hotel where service was not included then I would expect there to be an additional service charge.  if the price for service was included in there room rate then I would not expect an additional service charge.

To clarify - the situation where service is included is different from the situation where service is not included.

Hello Sinbad, Gratuity arguments have gone on for years on several forums, but at the end of the day we should all know by now that on most lines there is a charge both for adults and children.

In most cases we have the option to opt out if we so wish or we can pay individually.

Ultimately if someone objects to paying for children then either opt out or don't book a cruise, I really don't see what the problem is?

It's the same with pay conditions, if people don't agree with the way these companies operate, don't use them.

HLM.

I personally dont think kids shud pay tips. In fact when we get onto the ship we go straight to the desk and tell them not to add them to our bill. Because we pay tips to who we want to. Not who they say. Never have any trouble i must say

I personally dont think kids shud pay tips. In fact when we get onto the ship we go straight to the desk and tell them not to add them to our bill. Because we pay tips to who we want to. Not who they say. Never have any trouble i must say

Such a shame you feel this way, as it's pretty common knowledge that gratuities are split between more than just the people you have a first point of contact with.  There are other people behind the scenes that work really hard to make your cruise awesome, but you leave them out entirely.

I'd love for cruise lines to simply make the daily service charge compulsory (and eventually part of the cruise fare - obviously this would result in slightly increased fares but at least the staff would get paid for their work)

Such a shame you feel this way, as it's pretty common knowledge that gratuities are split between more than just the people you have a first point of contact with.  There are other people behind the scenes that work really hard to make your cruise awesome, but you leave them out entirely.

I'd love for cruise lines to simply make the daily service charge compulsory (and eventually part of the cruise fare - obviously this would result in slightly increased fares but at least the staff would get paid for their work)

So you think that if gratuities are not paid if you do that is wrong most cruise lines have a guaranteed minimum wage as part of their contracts and if because cruisers remove gratuities and there is a shortfall then the cruise companies guarantee to make up the shortfall . That is why its in the interests of cruise company to get you to pay gratuities it then means they don't have to make up the shortfall and more profits for them.