littlemousa

Will Brexit have any impact on cruising?

I know that most ships are registered outside the EU but wondered if forum members think that the vote to leave the EU will affect cruising at all. Will the fall in value of the pound affect costs in the short term? Might we see the day when we have to show our passports at European ports? What else may be affected? Or will nothing change in your view?

For the time being, it's clearly 'carry on cruising' but I think once Article 50 is triggered and the separation process begins, things will change for UK cruise passengers. To what extent I don't know and as MG16 says, I don't think anyone has the answers to that right now I do believe we'll see some changes. 

Your point re the pound is probably the one that we can count on at the moment. I think travelling to Europe, due to the run on the pound will, hopefully just in the short term, push the expense of holidays up a little.

Nothing will change for me personally..as I didn't win the 300 quid voucher I'm not going cruising.

Oh dear Terminator!! So sad you didn't win the £300 to put towards your cruise on Koningsdam !

Does this now mean you will have to spend your days waiting in Hollywood .....or was that Cricklewood !!

Oh dear Terminator!! So sad you didn't win the £300 to put towards your cruise on Koningsdam !

Does this now mean you will have to spend your days waiting in Hollywood .....or was that Cricklewood !!

Nope..I going on a hunt for Lucy to make sure she's alright..cool.png

It already has affected cruising costs. With the fall in the value of the pound, the on board costs on dollar or euro based ships, liKe Cunard, Princess, MSC, etc, will increase. This has an immediate effect unless you bought your dollars before the referendum. Fuel costs will increase as these are priced in dollars. In the medium term excursion costs will increase due to the exchange rate.

Brian

It was a bit of a kneejerk reaction from me, but after the referendum I immediately bought the Princess drinks package for my upcoming cruise. Bought in pounds, exchanged from dollars.

I suppose that just shows where my priority lies.

RayO

I would be surprised if anything of any consequence changed, other than the cost in the short term.  Things are more expensive as the GBP is weakened, but I suspect (and hope) that this will be a short-term reaction to the uncertainty.  I guess we can only wait and see.

There are no answers right now.

Why, on a recent cruise did we have to carry our passport ashore when we were in Venice, Rome and Barcelona?

So I cannot see it making any difference when we finally leave the EU.

Nothing to do with border checks - certain countries require that you carry national identification at all times.  As the UK does not issue ID cards you are supposed to carry your passport.

Nothing to do with border checks - certain countries require that you carry national identification at all times.  As the UK does not issue ID cards you are supposed to carry your passport.

If that is the case why were we told we needed passports for Barcelona but we didn't need them for other Spanish ports we called at on same cruise.

I see a short term impact taking place. I think the overall cost of travelling to Europe will rise but not by too much. I see a 10-15% increase while the dust settles on the referendum and the pound settles down. Once we got over that hurdle I think things will reach a plateau that most will find satisfactory.

There may be rise in the cost of buying euros for shore trips and the possibility of stiffer border controls .

However I am sure that ships will still be very welcome in the ports as they bring in much needed revenue

I suspect we shall have to take our passports when going ashore in Europe but as already mentioned this happens in some cases anyway - and, yes, cruise prices may well increase. Either we pay up or we arrange different holidays. Individuals will weigh up their own financial pros and cons. As far as Europe is concerned, I suspect that the smaller ports will certainly still welcome with, open tills, the arrival of a couple of thousand people (or more) to spend euros on kitch memorabilia, etc.

Probably the biggest increase in costs will come from the increase in the cost of fuel, brought about by the fall in the pound against the dollar.  Everything bought in the rest of the EU will also cost more because of the fall in the pound against the Euro.

In due course, we may also lose our reciprocal healthcare arrangements (EHIC) and the reductions in mobile phone costs brought about by the EU.  Goods brought in from Europe will no longer necessarily be free of import duties and VAT once (if?) we finally leave the EU.

More to the point, though, the economic climate in the UK as a result of leaving the EU is likely to be such that affording cruises could be a thing of the past for many people because of the impact on savings and pensions.

This was probably the worst decision the population of this country has ever made - and it was based on a series of lies from the Leave campaign.  The chickens are now coming home to roost and we're in the biggest mess this country has ever seen since 1939.

On a positive note, in 5 years time the pound will be stronger than now due to our successful trading with the rest of the world resulting in cheap oil, fabulous exchange rates and reciprocal agreements for health as our NHS is the best in the world. There will be no import duties because we do not need them as our steel industry, coalmines and other heavy industries are exporting so much. We will be selling surplys fish to Iceland as well as the formula for making pigs fly.

Scaremongering again with no basis in fact...you're running scared and it's not pretty.

No basis in fact?  You're obviously not a follower of economic news then.  

Have you not seen what's happened to the pound?  Or to annuity rates for anyone unfortunate enough to be having to invest a lump sum for a pension?  Or fuel prices? Farage has already referred to the £350m pw going to the NHS story (sorry, lie) as a 'mistake' and food retailers are already predicting food price increases because of the fallen pound.

The country's full of Leave voters still wearing their Daily Express blindfolds and thinking they've been clever - when in reality they've shafted all the youngsters (I'm not one of them) and the entire country.  You still have no concept of the damage you've done.

Actually the 350 a week was on the Boris Battle Bus..

Annuity rates are down but recovering..the same with the pound dollar exchange rate. Did nobody tell you that annuities are a gamble?

The pound euro rate was at an artificial high before Brexit due to speculators banking on a Remain vote..it's now back to normal

The same with the footsie 250..it's now higher than before Brexit.

Petrol has been rising for the last 4 months so hardly due to Brexit.

Nobody has "shafted" the youngsters...all that has happened is every eligible person in the UK has exercised their Democratic right to vote.

As I said earlier in another thread if they could be bothered to get off their collective fat derrières they would have won.

They didn't so lost.

That vote was to leave the EU.

You need to move on.

P.S.

Third world problems...Annuity going down and worrying if Brexit Wii affect your next cruise.

No basis in fact?  You're obviously not a follower of economic news then.  

Have you not seen what's happened to the pound?  Or to annuity rates for anyone unfortunate enough to be having to invest a lump sum for a pension?  Or fuel prices? Farage has already referred to the £350m pw going to the NHS story (sorry, lie) as a 'mistake' and food retailers are already predicting food price increases because of the fallen pound.

The country's full of Leave voters still wearing their Daily Express blindfolds and thinking they've been clever - when in reality they've shafted all the youngsters (I'm not one of them) and the entire country.  You still have no concept of the damage you've done.

Do not even bother arguing with him he is never wrong always has to have the final say and is totally delusional just read "Leaving the EU" thread.

Actually the 350 a week was on the Boris Battle Bus..

Annuity rates are down but recovering..the same with the pound dollar exchange rate.

The pound euro rate was at an artificial high before Brexit due to speculators banking on a Remain vote..it's now back to normal

The same with the footsie 250..it's now higher than before Brexit.

Petrol has been rising for the last 4 months so hardly due to Brexit.

Nobody has "shafted" the youngsters...all that has happened is every eligible person in the UK has exercised their Democratic right to vote.

As I said earlier in another thread if they could be bothered to get off their collective fat derrières they would have won.

They didn't so lost.

That vote was to leave the EU.

You need to move on.

You are so very wrong on all counts.  The one remaining hope is that sanity will eventually prevail and that Article 50 will not be triggered.  If it is, we are stuffed.  Stuffed by the old, the gullible and the stupid.  Cameron should never have trusted an issue of this magnitude to the racist bigots of Boston and Clacton - and in the former the complaints about immigration are coming from the very people who are too lazy to work in the fields any more and prefer just to draw benefits for sitting at home.

We'll have to agree to differ.  I'm not wasting time arguing this out with you here.  Time will tell - but all the economic data is against you.