We are due to call at Istanbul on our Cunard cruise in 2 weeks time,after today's news of further terrorist trouble ,in the name of safety should Cunard omit this from our itinerary.We are now beginning to be concerned

We are due to call at Istanbul on our Cunard cruise in 2 weeks time,after today's news of further terrorist trouble ,in the name of safety should Cunard omit this from our itinerary.We are now beginning to be concerned

Hello midhusband, in light of last nights terrible occurrences I think it's highly likely that they would not sail into Istanbul, however in saying that when I last visited it was in the middle of the riots a few years ago, and we docked without any problems albeit a different scenario.

I think it just a matter of wait and see, Cunard will have all the latest advice hopefully they will let you know as soon as they know.

HLM.

A lot will depend on advice they will get from the Foreign Office..if they say it's too dangerous then Cunard will not take chances with the safety of their passengers.

But you should be wary wherever you go now as the terrorists will move on once they've destroyed Turkeys tourist industry as they have done with Tunisia, Red Sea etc..

Not a great situation in Turkey at present am i'm sure cruise operators will be taking advice and monitoring the problems day by day, it does seem a shame that a mindless few want to bring a countries tourism to its knees in pursuit of their own ideals.

Thanks everyone for their input. Even if Cunard do decided to go ahead and dock in Istanbul i am seriously considering staying onboard ship now.I personally think they should omit Istanbul from the itinerary and call at another port.It's a shame but safety of all aboard ship is paramount

I agree with you midhusband. Safety comes first and I do believe they'll follow the advice from the foreign office and avoid travelling there until advised otherwise. It would be a great shame as it's a fantastic city but passenger safety will always come first in my opinion so I do not see them calling there.

Cruise critic site now saying that Cunard have cancelled Istanbul visit and we are now going to Thessalonika and Volos instead.I've had nothing official yet but if it's true I'm relieved. Thanks folks for your replies

I have just spoken to Cunard and yes they are moving everything.  The calls to Istanbul will be replaced by Thessaloniki, Greece and an additional call to Volos.

Should get official notification Monday onwards they promise me.

Celebrity and RCI also look like they are pulling out, i am on with those right now.

It is a big shame that this is required. The city is certainly worth visiting and it's terrible that such changes need to be made based on horrible events such as this. I haven't experienced Thessaloniki or Volos myself so I cannot pass comment on those ports.

We were due to be docking in Istanbul with NCL, they changed the itinerary weeks ago and we are now going to Dubrovnik. I too said I wouldn't get off in Istanbul so we have a win win situation.

We have just booked a cruise for next year that includes Ephesus in Turkey and we have been advised that this is expected to be replaced by another port. So it looks like all Turkish ports are being avoided for the time being.