Portside

Obstructed View Cabins: Good Value Or Waste Of Money?

Looking at several cruises for 2017 at the moment and one option for us is to perhaps downgrade on our accommodation choice which would in turn allow us to perhaps use the extra money to squeeze another one in if possible.

Just wondered what people thought of obstructed view cabins? I've never had one myself. I know friends and family that have, each with their own differing opinions so I thought I'd consult my fellow forum members on the issue.

Have you sailed in an obstructed view? If so what did you think? Was it money well saved based on the difference between that and say a clear view or a balcony? Or did you find it to be a waste of time and in reality reminiscent of an Inside cabin?

I prefer not to focus too much on the cabin itself but more about how much time I think I will be spending in it. Prior to my daughter being born I would have happily sailed in an inside cabin as my wife and I preferred to be out and about most of the time, often just using the cabin as a place to get changed and sleep. Now though we require more space and seeing as we like to get my daughter off to sleep at an earlier time than us, if we're not using the night nursery then we like a balcony so that we can put her down and then sit outside with a drink, just the two of us. 

I think obstructed views can be decent value if you're wise about it. Take a look at the cabin grades and the deck plans to see if you can find a cabin with a minor obstruction as there are plenty of them. These come with minimal intrusion on light into your room and often an attractive price tag. 

That's a very interesting question and I'm also curious to see what people think. We've never had an obstructed view cabin, I don't think I've even seen a picture of one - Google will help me after posting this :) - but for me, it would depend on how severe the obstruction is and the difference in cost of course. I'm assuming the cruise line would have to declare "obstructed view" no matter how insignificant the impact, this could mean losing almost nothing or almost 100%, right?

But... for me, quantity would always win over "quality" when it comes to choosing our cruises. We'd much prefer to cruise more often with insides, than less often with outside/balcony cabins...

Oh wow, a quick search and there are LOADS of different ways a cabin could be considered obstructed view. Some are awful and I would never consider them at all (no more than an inside really), but some I don't even think should be considered obstructed at all!

See http://www.bolsovercruiseclub.com/blog/2015/03/16/36188-what-is-an-obstructed-view-cabin/ for example - I would LOVE that last cabin (please) but the first one is definitely a no for me, no matter what the saving.

Having looked into it cruzwithkidz, yes all cruise lines declare whether a cabin is obstructed or not despite whether the obstruction is just a small fraction or the majority of the view. I too have used Google to help me with this and some cruise lines websites offer the chance to view obstructed view cabins, P&O being one of them. 

It's your final comment that is exactly my way of thinking at the moment. I would prefer the extra money saved to go towards another holiday therefore giving us something else in the calendar to look forward to. I do however worry that by opting for a lower grade of cabin the cruise experience will suffer and we'll regret it. 

We have been in partially obstructed cabins on Celebrity ships and the obstruction has been minimal.  The last one had a lifeboat roof level with the floor of the balcony.  The view was fine unless you looked down to the ocean.  Another time the extended flat roof of a restaurant level with the floor prevented us looking straight down.  If you google the cabin number you can usually find out exactly what the obstruction is and make your decision from there.  I would not book a guarantee for an obstructed cabin if there was a chance of a severe problem - I prefer to choose the cabin myself.  The cost saving associated with a partial obstruction can be well worth having!

Sheila

I do however worry that by opting for a lower grade of cabin the cruise experience will suffer and we'll regret it. 

I doubt you'd regret it :) but it does make a difference. We were lucky to get a great deal on a Princess mini-suite for a week in May, and I think it's going to be hard to go back to an inside for two weeks in the Caribbean over Christmas and New Year (not THAT hard though!). Most of our cruises have been insides and we've always had a great time. The cabin type for us just influences how much time we spend in the cabin. Our insides haven't ever been much more than somewhere to sleep and get washed/dressed, but having a balcony changes that and we spend much more time in the cabin.

I'd still rather have longer at sea :)

We had an obstructed view which overlooked a sort of walkway between lifeboats. It was ok for me as I just need to see daylight & couldn't consider an inside cabin, I don't even draw the bedroom curtains at night. One funny moment occurred when two crewmen appeared on the walkway ,their heads were just above the cabin window so we could see their hard hats bobbing about. I went to the window & waved & they waved back.

I had an obstructed view on Ventura, the obstruction being the end of a lifeboat but was pretty much a clear view as the lifeboat was at the side. My mum in the room next door had the middle of the life boat, but it didnt stop the light shining in. She did'nt mind it though as she only used to check what sort of day it was first thing and that's it smile.png I would book on again for sure.

We had a full unobstructuted view balcony cabin on the Oriana for our trip to the fjords and the arctic circle in Feb and we would not have wanted it any other way. I think if the cruise you are on does not allow you to take full advantage of outside deck space ( and

I'm talking - temperatures) then the moments you can grab from your cabin are worth every penny. Being able to see the fjords in the half light if we woke early, seeing the mountains and landscapes that would have been obscured was money well spent for us.

GiGi

We have been in Obstructed views a few times.We may have been lucky but have always been between the lifeboats or at the end where there is a metal girder that blocks a small part of the view. Again we may be lucky but all the obstructed cabins we have been in have been larger than most of the other cabins.Friends we met last summer commentated that our obstructed view cabin was larger than their balcony cabin and they said they would try and book the cabin we had next time.

I can only mirror most of the other advice on here.  Obstructions can vary quite a bit.  We had an obstructed balcony on our first cruise on Queen Mary 2, and the obstruction was significant - lifeboats right outside the balcony, and you couldn't see anything.  It was still nice to have, though, as part of what I like about a balcony is being able to open the doors and let in fresh air.

We had another obstructed view balcony on Celebrity Eclipse (or did we just research it first, I forget), but this was minimal - the roof of one of the lifeboats came somewhere in the vicinity of the railing of the balcony, so you could still stand on the balcony and see out.  It was mostly the view down which was obstructed.  I imagine if you enjoy sitting out on the balcony then you might have a view from a seated position obstructed by this sort of cabin.

It depends on what you use a balcony for and what the obstruction will prevent you doing.  If you want to save some money to allow another cruise, you might find that booking an oceanview (non-balcony) stateroom offers much larger a saving.  We had an oceanview stateroom on Celebrity Infinity and I was really surprised at how much it didn't bother me.  I still prefer to book a balcony, but if it was the choice between a balcony and a second cruise I think the latter might win.

We went on Adonia a couple of years ago and booked a partially obstructed balocony all that it meant was at one end the superstructure was slighty angled but was only minor. Having seen some pictures of partially obstructed outside cabins. No thank you a view of the side of a lifeboat is not appealing

We used to have obstructed cabins on Arcadia - a lifeboat outside the window. Our choice, too, was governed by how long we stayed in the cabin. However, no more. We had a "proper" balcony cabin on Aurora and the difference with the view and light were remarkable. One other point ladies. Although maintenance crew are discrete in every way, I frequently found that a new washer or other spare part had to be installed in "our" lifeboat at 6pm, just as I came out of the shower and the curtains were still open.

We always have a clear balcony cabin now

We have ONLY travelled in obstructed view cabins.  If you study the deck plans carefully you can usually pick a cabin that lies between the lifeboats, thus giving you some view.  We prefer to spend time out and about and use the money saved on shore excursions.

We have only had an obstructed view once.  This was on a trip to South America and the Antarctic. The view was between 2 lifeboats. Due to the fabulous scenery and wild life we were never in the cabin, we were on deck with binoculars and cameras.  We chose a cabin near the back door out to the deck so that we could nip to the loo or change film in the camera. (Pre digital).

If you are doing a 3/4 day short cruise out of season it may just be bearable , but you will still look back afterwards and ask yourself. 'Was it really worth it" .. It 's a poor man's step up from an inside.

Do your research as stated. If it is fully obstructed then don't book, if it hardly obstructed then book it.

Does it really save you that much?

RayO

We had a full unobstructuted view balcony cabin on the Oriana for our trip to the fjords and the arctic circle in Feb and we would not have wanted it any other way. I think if the cruise you are on does not allow you to take full advantage of outside deck space ( and

I'm talking - temperatures) then the moments you can grab from your cabin are worth every penny. Being able to see the fjords in the half light if we woke early, seeing the mountains and landscapes that would have been obscured was money well spent for us.

GiGi

Aren't all balcony cabins on Oriana, which are all on B deck, unobstructed? Apart from a dozen or so balcony cabins added on D deck, (where the children's club was once situated and you may have a lifeboat to one side in just 2 of them), I don't recall any obstructions on B deck balcony cabins and we have cruised on Oriana many times. If there are such cabins, please avail me of their number so as I can avoid them. Thanks a bunch.

If you are doing a 3/4 day short cruise out of season it may just be bearable , but you will still look back afterwards and ask yourself. 'Was it really worth it" .. It 's a poor man's step up from an inside.

I think that is a rather mean spirited generalization.  The OP said he could possibly afford another cruise by choosing an obstructed cabin.  Many people would share the opinion that two cruises are better than one, and not everyone has the resources to do this without some compromise.  Some basic research will indicate how severe the obstruction is and an informed decision can be based on this.  

We have sailed in cabins 205 & 207 on D Deck on Oriana and they are some 30 sq ft bigger than the standard outside cabins.When Oriana became an adult only ship these cabins were added in what was the childrens/teenage area and have very large windows.The safe is at eye-level and there is a lot more wardrobe and storage space and of course the bathroom and all the furnishings are only a few years old.