Chill

Saver Fare - Dining Allocation

I'm of the opinion that it should be the number of days onboard which get rewarded, not how much you've paid.

HLM.

I’m sure a lot of other people feel the same as you. I’ve made my feelings clear on the questionnaire. As MG16 said it’s P&O who will make the final decision.

And it will be P&O once again who will overcomplicate things, get as many complaints as they had before and still end up with disgruntled passengers.

It is only the loyalty scheme after all. How much is it really worth to everyone. My answers on the questionnaire were all about added value to make the higher echelon cruiser fell that they're being recognised. I don't feel that any argument could be put that would say a suite passenger who books once a year is more loyal than an inside cabin passenger who books three times a year, no matter what they've paid.

Nights on board is the simplest way of measuring loyalty. Suite passengers usually get the loyalty perks anyway because of what they've paid so they shouldn't get extra loyalty credits. The Princess system does give them extra credits with its two ways of measuring, but also uses nights on board. P&O should adopt this system IMHO.

RayO

I'm of the opinion that it should be the number of days onboard which get rewarded, not how much you've paid.

HLM.

I’m sure a lot of other people feel the same as you. I’ve made my feelings clear on the questionnaire. As MG16 said it’s P&O who will make the final decision.

Yes I agree P&O will make the final decision, time will tell whether it's the right one or not.

Me personally will take my business elsewhere if they choose to reward higher paying guests.

HLM.

And it will be P&O once again who will overcomplicate things, get as many complaints as they had before and still end up with disgruntled passengers.

It is only the loyalty scheme after all. How much is it really worth to everyone. My answers on the questionnaire were all about added value to make the higher echelon cruiser fell that they're being recognised. I don't feel that any argument could be put that would say a suite passenger who books once a year is more loyal than an inside cabin passenger who books three times a year, no matter what they've paid.

Nights on board is the simplest way of measuring loyalty. Suite passengers usually get the loyalty perks anyway because of what they've paid so they shouldn't get extra loyalty credits. The Princess system does give them extra credits with its two ways of measuring, but also uses nights on board. P&O should adopt this system IMHO.

RayO

P&O are famous for over thinking and complicating what should be an easy system to maintain, by using the number of nights on board no one can argue.

It'll be carnage, can you imagine a 100 night world cruiser (inside cabin) getting less reward points than a 14 night suite guest.

Good luck with that one P&O.

HLM.

P&O are famous for over thinking and complicating what should be an easy system to maintain, by using the number of nights on board no one can argue.

It'll be carnage, can you imagine a 100 night world cruiser (inside cabin) getting less reward points than a 14 night suite guest.

Good luck with that one P&O.

HLM.

But they won't under the new system if it happens the 14 night suite guest will get 280 points and the 100 night world cruiser on an inside will get 1000 points. Don't forget the 100 night world cruiser in a suite pays £30,000 to £40,000 per person, and the inside passenger pays less than £10,000 per person. After less than 3 world cruises at  a cost of under £30,000 per person booking an inside cabin will be on the top tier. It costs the suite passenger at least £90,000 per person to get to the top tier. Of course it should be on spend. Airlines, supermarkets etc all give loyalty points on spend. Why shouldn't P&O?  

Sorry but to me someone who is rich (or daft) enough to pay £30000-£40000 for a world cruise probably isn't bothered about a few little extras compared to what they already get included in a suite. I know it sounds daft but I'm really looking forward to getting our first pin & glass of bubbly when we move to Atlantic tier on our next cruise. To me loyalty is about going back to the same company time & again so should be based nights on board.

Sorry but to me someone who is rich (or daft) enough to pay £30000-£40000 for a world cruise probably isn't bothered about a few little extras compared to what they already get included in a suite. I know it sounds daft but I'm really looking forward to getting our first pin & glass of bubbly when we move to Atlantic tier on our next cruise. To me loyalty is about going back to the same company time & again so should be based nights on board.

My husband and I have done 2 world cruises in the penthouse suite on the Aurora and we certainly aren’t daft!!! Secondly we are on the Ligurian tier so no axe to grind there. I am however of the opinion that someone booking a cruise for the first time in a suite should get more points than someone booking an inside cabin. I therefore think my opinion is unbiased and based on fairness as opposed to most of you.

But they won't under the new system if it happens the 14 night suite guest will get 280 points and the 100 night world cruiser on an inside will get 1000 points. Don't forget the 100 night world cruiser in a suite pays £30,000 to £40,000 per person, and the inside passenger pays less than £10,000 per person. After less than 3 world cruises at  a cost of under £30,000 per person booking an inside cabin will be on the top tier. It costs the suite passenger at least £90,000 per person to get to the top tier. Of course it should be on spend. Airlines, supermarkets etc all give loyalty points on spend. Why shouldn't P&O?

We'll have to agree to disagree Tally.

HLM.

My thoughts entirely, loyalty should indeed be judged on people using the same company time and again and yes it should be based on the number of nights on board that counts.

HLM.

Hello, like most of the other replies why should you be able to choose your preferred dining when you haven't paid select price.You knew in advance the t&c so you can't really complain.

If the system is changed to points per £ spent, as with supermarkets, then I think they should change the name of the scheme. If someone has 4 weeks holiday per year and spends it all with P&O, whatever cabin they have, they cannot be any more loyal than that. Spending more not equate more loyalty, but cruising with P&O in preference to another cruise line does.

Yes, Celebrity work on points per type of cabin, but accessing a fairly high tier is much faster than with P&O. We have done 35+ cruises with P&O and are Caribbean. We have done about nine with Celebrity and have reached Elite. We will never be any higher with P&O because we cannot have any more time off work, and when we retire we will not be able to afford to cruise more often, in fact we will probably have to cut back. Luckily with Celebrity the points will continue to accrue and the higher tiers are not dependent on how many nights spent cruising in the last two years.

At the moment the only thing worth having at Caribbean level (for us) is the 10% discount. On Celebrity we enjoy free laundry, free dry cleaning, and pressing (obviously with a limit) free internet access, a free wine tasting seminar, free drinks every evening for an hour before dinner and more. No, we don't have a suite. It's swings and roundabouts, but you would get nothing like this for nine two-week cruises on P&O.

Disappointed I didn't get a survey, but, hey, what do 35+ cruises count for anyway?

To respond to the OP - the choice of dining is paramount to us for health reasons and it is the ONLY reason we pay the Select fare, and are happy to do so because of the Ts and Cs. I would spit feathers if I found out that someone paying a Saver fare could choose their dining option, or change it once on board and I would be the first to reception to demand some money back.

To respond to the OP - the choice of dining is paramount to us for health reasons and it is the ONLY reason we pay the Select fare, and are happy to do so because of the Ts and Cs. I would spit feathers if I found out that someone paying a Saver fare could choose their dining option, or change it once on board and I would be the first to reception to demand some money back.

I suppose that one should expect limitations from a cruise line that caters primarily for the UK market.  After all, we Brits invented bureaucracy.

One alternative is to vote with your feet and sail with a different cruise line that offers similar standards and good value, without imposing petty restrictions.

Have booked a saver fare fly cruise to the Med onboard Oceana for later this year. Our preferred choice would be for "freedom dining" but understand we have no choice in this and will be allocated either 1st or 2nd sitting in the main dining room. Is it really impossible to change this, but if we could then how would we go about it? Thanks for any advice.

I'm sure that if it's physically possible to accommodate your choice of Freedom Dining (and there are some limitations, because, I assume, there's a separate restaurant, as on Azura and Ventura) they'll allow you to change.  It's certainly worth asking.  From P&O's viewpoint, they'd far rather have a happy customer than an unhappy one - more likely to book again.

As for the people moaning that it isn't fair - ignore them.  Whether you get your Freedom Dining doesn't impact on them in any way, and if they choose (as I did, simply to be sure of the particular accommodation I wanted) to opt for Select, that's their choice.

Good luck to you!  smile.png

I'm sure that if it's physically possible to accommodate your choice of Freedom Dining (and there are some limitations, because, I assume, there's a separate restaurant, as on Azura and Ventura) they'll allow you to change. It's certainly worth asking. From P&O's viewpoint, they'd far rather have a happy customer than an unhappy one - more likely to book again.

As for the people moaning that it isn't fair - ignore them. Whether you get your Freedom Dining doesn't impact on them in any way, and if they choose (as I did, simply to be sure of the particular accommodation I wanted) to opt for Select, that's their choice.

Good luck to you! :)

Load of rubbish.. you know the conditions when booking the cheap fare..why then want the same as others who paid more than you?

Rules is rules.

I know if I paid full fare and couldn't get a table at a time I wanted because some cheapskate who hadn't was sitting there I'd be pretty annoyed...so yes it may have an affect.

But just like many of this generation they want everything without either paying for it or with any thought for others.

Load of rubbish.. you know the conditions when booking the cheap fare..why then want the same as others who paid more than you?

Rules is rules.

You do indeed know the conditions, which is why I chose Select on this occasion.  But nowhere in those 'rules' does it say that a customer (Select booking or not) can't ask for a dining option to be changed, or that P&O can't agree to a change, which I'm sure they will if they can.

There are in fact no rules on this, and no reason why the OP can't ask for (and get) a change.  It won't hurt P&O, it won't hurt anyone else, it gives P&O a more satisfied customer, and anyone else wanting to take the same chances is perfectly able to do so.  I'll have paid rather more for my particular option to get a particular suite, but so what?  Good luck to him - hope he gets what he wants.  biggrin.png

Rules is rules.

I know if I paid full fare and couldn't get a table at a time I wanted because some cheapskate who hadn't was sitting there I'd be pretty annoyed...so yes it may have an affect.

But just like many of this generation they want everything without either paying for it or with any thought for others.

Well we can at least agree about this. I'm afraid I took us off topic a little bringing the Questionnaire up. I know when we couldn't afford something we went without but today's generation seem to have a culture of entitlement.

If the system is changed to points per £ spent, as with supermarkets, then I think they should change the name of the scheme. If someone has 4 weeks holiday per year and spends it all with P&O, whatever cabin they have, they cannot be any more loyal than that. Spending more not equate more loyalty, but cruising with P&O in preference to another cruise line does.

Yes, Celebrity work on points per type of cabin, but accessing a fairly high tier is much faster than with P&O. We have done 35+ cruises with P&O and are Caribbean. We have done about nine with Celebrity and have reached Elite. We will never be any higher with P&O because we cannot have any more time off work, and when we retire we will not be able to afford to cruise more often, in fact we will probably have to cut back. Luckily with Celebrity the points will continue to accrue and the higher tiers are not dependent on how many nights spent cruising in the last two years.

At the moment the only thing worth having at Caribbean level (for us) is the 10% discount. On Celebrity we enjoy free laundry, free dry cleaning, and pressing (obviously with a limit) free internet access, a free wine tasting seminar, free drinks every evening for an hour before dinner and more. No, we don't have a suite. It's swings and roundabouts, but you would get nothing like this for nine two-week cruises on P&O.

Disappointed I didn't get a survey, but, hey, what do 35+ cruises count for anyway?

We haven't tried Celebrity because we like to do longer cruises without flying. I am very impressed though with the perks you get on Celebrity. The pathetic little perks given to suite passengers, let alone the top tiers on P&O,  seem not come close to those on Celebrity. I really think it's time for a change. 

Rules is rules.

Which generation might that be?  I wasn't aware that he'd mentioned his (or her) age.

Presumably you're talking about older people (like me) who benefited from a huge increase in house prices, had free university educations (with grants for the living costs as well as no-cost fees), final salary pensions, pensions at age 60/65, etc etc?  You know - the SKI generation boasting about spending the kids' inheritance.  The ones with the free bus passes.  

Was it us you meant?  dry.png

If you pay for a suite you do get more.  You get a bigger better room and a bigger better balcony ,a butler, drinks  of your choice in a mini bar, canapés ect.  Wish I could have a suite I certainly would not be moaning about  what point the rest of sailors were getting.  I would be enjoying it and thinking how lucky I am. 

If you pay for a suite you do get more.  You get a bigger better room and a bigger better balcony ,a butler, drinks  of your choice in a mini bar, canapés ect.  Wish I could have a suite I certainly would not be moaning about  what point the rest of sailors were getting.  I would be enjoying it and thinking how lucky I am. 

Lets get this quite straight shall we. I presume your post was referring to me ,moaning about the points other sailors were getting. I was referring to the questionnaire someone else brought up. It suggested different points for different grades of cabins. I think that is fair others don't. Please get your facts correct I certainly wasn't moaning just giving an opinion.

If you want to change your dining allocation on a late saver  just go to the dining room  you will find that others will only be to happy to change, or see the Maitre D and make a request, they will often be able to accommodate you.

I regularly book late savers due to my OH medical scans we  can't book ahead and I'm dammed if I will take the select price  on sometimes a month before we sail when the best has gone  .

/

As for this questionnaire  I shall  get one  in September when I sail on Ventura  what on earth do PO think they are doing  alienating their loyal passengers ?  I have almost 40 cruise's under my belt  and not a Suite in sight , also what about the spend on board?  drinks, fine dining , spas etc. just because you are a late saver  doesn't mean you don't spend money   . they really must have a dimwit in charge of their loyalty programme.c

I should add that it was also suggested that people on a saver fare would get less points, I can't remember the points for each grade but it was 3 points for an inside on a saver fare as opposed to 10 points on a select fare.

If you want to change your dining allocation on a late saver  just go to the dining room  you will find that others will only be to happy to change, or see the Maitre D and make a request, they will often be able to accommodate you.

I regularly book late savers due to my OH medical scans we  can't book ahead and I'm dammed if I will take the select price  on sometimes a month before we sail when the best has gone  .

/

As for this questionnaire  I shall  get one  in September when I sail on Ventura  what on earth do PO think they are doing  alienating their loyal passengers ?  I have almost 40 cruise's under my belt  and not a Suite in sight , also what about the spend on board?  drinks, fine dining , spas etc. just because you are a late saver  doesn't mean you don't spend money   . they really must have a dimwit in charge of their loyalty programme.c

I'm sorry if I've confused you this wasn't an onboard questionnaire. This was an online survey I was sent.