Chill

Saver Fare - Dining Allocation

Have booked a saver fare fly cruise to the Med onboard Oceana for later this year. Our preferred choice would be for "freedom dining" but understand we have no choice in this and will be allocated either 1st or 2nd sitting in the main dining room. Is it really impossible to change this, but if we could then how would we go about it? Thanks for any advice.

Early or late saver? early saver you can choose your preference on cruise personaliser a few weeks before you go. This is not guaranteed as first choice rightly go's to passengers on select fare.

There's always a chance Chill that you could persuade the maitre'd but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much. I'd imagine they need to be pretty strict when it comes to saver fare dining allocations. Hopefully you will be allocated your preferred choice anyway. 

I have heard of passenger's going straight down to the maitre'd when they get on board and you may find that someone else wants what you have got and vice versa, so they swap

Along with many other people we were not happy with our allocated dining option on p&o. We went straight to the dining room and joined a queu of people complaining to the head waiter. We were given our preference after a couple of days.

Sorry but if you book a Saver fare then you should stick with what you are given that's what it says in T&C's if you dont like what you are given then eat in the buffet. Far too many people think they can book a Saver fare then run to the restaurant when they board and change it, P&O should make a stance and if you have booked a Saver fare they should say no to any change it is not fair on those that have paid extra for choice and booked a Select fare.

I would tend to agree with the sentiment that pay the cheaper fare and get no choice on dining. However, the practicality is that there are probably equal numbers on each of the dining options wanting to swap. P&O, whatever has been paid, want their passengers to be happy so they should accommodate if possible.

P&O have made a rod for their own back by not asking for dining preferences whatever someone has paid.

I have more to say but the font looks weird, so I'll post later once it sorts itself out.

RayO

Looked weird but posted OK.

There are other ways of giving higher fare payers value for money besides an arbitrary reduction in the service to lower fare payers.

Give preference to higher fare payers but why deny others their preference if it is available.

From day one I have thought this fare division ill thought out.

RayO

Hi Chill, on our Oceana cruise last year, we'd booked Saver fare (late booking) & were allocated Freedom dining on arrival, which was a lovely surprise. We'd just assumed we'd be allocated a time slot, which was fair enough due to the comparable saving, Maybe we were just fortunate, but you might be too, so keep your fingers crossed. Either way,I'm sure you'll have a good time smile.png

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on how we might change our dining option and to those who say we could even get lucky - fingers crossed.

To book the select fare would have cost an extra £200 per person - bonkers just to have the option to chose a preferred dining service. Perhaps P&O could change their business model to accommodate clients who want the freedom to choose their dining option, even perhaps at a small cost - but not £200 per person!

After many years of paying full fare and getting nothing extra, we now book early savers, they are not as cheep as saver fares but we can choose dining and always get our first choice although we don't always get chosen table size. We have always got a good cabin position on the early saver too although we have never had an upgrade. But after paying full price for over 35years we never had an upgrade when paying full price either,so no difference there. There is no difference for us at all as we never use the shuttles.We checked the select fare at time of booking it was £900 more expensive although they did give you a generous £120 each OBC as opposed to £75 each on the saver fare. And as both fares are on a guaranteed cabin why would anyone choose to book a select fare?

After many years of paying full fare and getting nothing extra, we now book early savers, they are not as cheep as saver fares but we can choose dining and always get our first choice although we don't always get chosen table size. We have always got a good cabin position on the early saver too although we have never had an upgrade. But after paying full price for over 35years we never had an upgrade when paying full price either,so no difference there. There is no difference for us at all as we never use the shuttles.We checked the select fare at time of booking it was £900 more expensive although they did give you a generous £120 each OBC as opposed to £75 each on the saver fare. And as both fares are on a guaranteed cabin why would anyone choose to book a select fare?

Nobody is discussing the difference as that's a no brainer.

But don't go expecting the T's and C's to be changed after you've booked the cheaper fare because they don't suit you...that's all.

And that was the crux of the OP's question.

I have been told by quite a few people that they have been able to change their dinings when onboard.

If select fare passengers change their minds onboard (its become pretty normal to expect a queue for the maitre'd before there was saver fares), then surely to give them what they want it could free up some availability on the different dining choices.

Although under the saver deals terms and conditions you shouldnt be asking, I personally would ask if i preferred one I hadn't been allocated just in case they could change it, and if they can't or won't its fair enough.

If having received a survey from P&O only this week about the new loyalty programme currently in discussion about changing that those that book Saver fares get lower amount of points per night compared to those who book Select so lower benefits or would have to do a lot more cruises to get same loyalty benefits than those that book Select.

If having received a survey from P&O only this week about the new loyalty programme currently in discussion about changing that those that book Saver fares get lower amount of points per night compared to those who book Select so lower benefits or would have to do a lot more cruises to get same loyalty benefits than those that book Select.

I think that is ridiculous! If that ever happens I won't be travelling with P&O again. I am Caribbean tier and since early & late savers have come out I have always gone with that fare. I go for cheapest inside, don't care where the cabin is and I can easily go on whichever dining they allocate. Why on earth should I receive less points for going on the same cruise? What about passenger's who book on the select price when the brochures first come out and then they shoot up - often the saver prices are similar later on to what the select price was when the itineraries are released (I cannot book so far in advance). So should those receive less points if they booked the same price as savers closer to the time?

I think that's fair, I also think the idea of more points for a suite and less for an inside a good idea too. I filled out the survey yesterday.

Not sure how you think that is fair Tally? Why should I be penalised if I can't afford a suite? The points are based on nights onboard, it shouldn't be changed into a class system. So someone could book a suite on a 2 night cruise and pay £400 but someone else book an inside on a 2 week cruise for £1000 yet potentially the suite could get more points? Does not make sense. Nights spent on board is the fairest way of calculating points.

Its plainly obvious those that book a suite are going to agree to the system where they get most points so that they can then tell everyone at dinner they are in a suite and they are higher in the loyalty club.

Of course it's fair. The person on a 2 night cruise in a suite would get 40 points and the person on a 2 week cruise in an inside would get 140 points.  I've never thought it fair that someone in an inside should get the same points as someone in a suite. In all walks of life if the more you pay the more you usually get. Why should a cruise with P&O be different.

Its plainly obvious those that book a suite are going to agree to the system where they get most points so that they can then tell everyone at dinner they are in a suite and they are higher in the loyalty club.

We always have a table to ourselves and certainly don't go around the ship telling everyone we are in a suite, nor what tier we are on. It's certainly not the reason I think the present system unfair. We were on the Ligurian tier on our last cruise in Feb/March so it makes no difference to us personally now. It's simply something I've always considered to unfair.