Sign in to follow this  
The Seven Seas

Fred Olsen Little Skippers

Fred Olsen is breaking tradition and hoping to attract more multi-generational families who are looking to cruise by launching Little Skippers, a new kids club on all four of its ship. Parents or grandparents can now leave their children with the dedicated kids club staff during peak holiday seasons. This is brilliant news for parents / grandparents who want to cruise with their children/grandchildren but from time to time want to enjoy a little ‘me time’.

I think it's a good thing. They're competing with other lines that all have children's facilities and whilst they still will probably not attract families like Royal Caribbean and P&O do, they'll have the facilities to cater for children who do come on board and that is always a positive for families. I'm sure there are plenty of families that love Fred Olsen but wouldn't necessarily have taken children with them on board before due to the lack of kids facilities but now that they are on there they will re-consider.

I don't think it will damage the brands reputation too much with regular passengers as it's not like they've built rock climbing walls and ice rinks, it will be just typical Fred Olsen style, low-key but nevertheless attractive to family guests.

I agree Sammy Sun this is a good move from Fred Olsen. While they aren't going to be offering all things amazing like Royal Caribbean with a rock climbing wall, bumper cars etc, they'll now have something for the families who are on board.

Exactly and why not? The younger generation are the future of cruising. If every brand stood still they would find themselves at back of the queue for potential customers in no time. Cruise lines always need to push boundaries, whether that be via novelty concepts like Royal Caribbean do, culinary persuasions like several cruise lines or adding additional facilities like in this case. They always need to move forward otherwise they'll find themselves with an ageing client list that needs refreshing desperately. It's a positive mood by Fred Olsen and I don't blame them one bit.

This decision may now sway more parents or grandparents who had previously put off booking with Fred (due to the lack of a kids club) to actually consider booking a cruise with them. Cruise lines do need to move forward and this is a great way for Fred Olsen to move forward but still offer the traditonal Fred Olsen style of cruising.

Hi  I have sailed with Fred Olsen many times and they have always had a kid's club on board during school holidays.  I think that no cruise line should have too many child facilities outside term - children should be attending classes and not cruising.

Hi  I have sailed with Fred Olsen many times and they have always had a kid's club on board in school holidays.  I think that no cruise line should have too many child facilities outside term - children should be attending classes and not cruising.

I agree Land Ahoy We have travelled with Fred Olson for years and have seen 4 families who met when their children were toddlers and cruised year after year at Easter. The last time we saw them, these toddlers were in their late teens and together won the quizzes most days. Fred Olson have always accommodated children, with plenty of things for them to do in the School holidays