c'tain poldark

P&O Cruises Auto Gratuities

Just returned from a cruise with P and O.  Decided to cancel our auto gratuity charge and  tip waiters and cabin steward directly instead.  Could not find out if your waiters and cabin steward get the full amount of the auto gratuity charge.  Obviously the official line is that they do but chatting to different people you hear various stories.  Also will  they be taxed on this amount?  And what happens to your waiters share if you are on Freedom dining or go to the buffet at night?  Would be interested if anyone knows the answer to this.

Just returned from a cruise with P and O.  Decided to cancel our auto gratuity charge and  tip waiters and cabin steward directly instead.  Could not find out if your waiters and cabin steward get the full amount of the auto gratuity charge.  Obviously the official line is that they do but chatting to different people you hear various stories.  Also will  they be taxed on this amount?  And what happens to your waiters share if you are on Freedom dining or go to the buffet at night?  Would be interested if anyone knows the answer to this.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this, P&O say one thing crew say another other people make it up as they go along, the best thing to do is decide for yourself the best option, forget about it and enjoy your holiday.

HLM.

So many different versions about what happens, personaly I prefer to still hand over the envelope so that the member of staff knows you appreciate them and after that it is for them to decide.

My wife and I always tip at the end of a cruise. We give as we see fit. There has been only one occasion where we did not tip. I believe if we had reported the incident the man would have been sacked. When we are out for a meal we leave a tip between us, not one each. therefore we tip as a couple not as two individuals. We apply this on board.  

The crew don't pay tax unless they spend over a certain amount of time in the UK. I know some British officers used to spend enough of their leave abroad so they didn't have to pay tax.

I totally agree with you!

Given that 'tax days' within the UK, do not accrue on any day of arrival, or likewise, any day of departure, (most often the same day, in the case of cruise ships).

I cannot possibly see or envisage how any 'crew members' or FOH hotel staff, could possibly 'qualify' for the dubious luxury of paying UK taxes, if not accruing the 'requisite' 90 days of living within the UK whilst also not actually residing at any address within the UK, or possibly the EU either? When also working on and being paid on cruise ships, usually registered offshore, under flags of convenience, rather than under any UK  'Merchant' Navy flag.

They get paid a pittance and almost all work very hard indeed. So please folks, lets not now begrudge them the 'freedom' of not paying any UK tax, on the tips they 'might' possibly receive, on board these beautiful ships that travel the world, because we'll all surely expect them to still be there, and ready to look after us all over again, when we board 'our' ship, almost anywhere in the World, next time. (and thankfully, of course, they always are???)  

The crew don't pay tax unless they spend over a certain amount of time in the UK. I know some British officers used to spend enough of their leave abroad so they didn't have to pay tax.

I am sorry but what has the uk tax system got yo do with auto gratuties? The issue is - are the gratuties a reward for service over and above what is expected or the cruise line's way of subsidising the wage bill rather than by the most transparent way - paying the team the going rate?

I totally agree with you, CK II but sadly some seem to think it relevant?

Yet when would/do any of us ask or think to question a waiter/waitress after a pub meal back at home, whether they are declaring their tip to tax or not? Precious few, if anyone, I would imagine?.

So why please, and not at all personally said, the never ending debate on cruise ship crew, their meagre money, what to tip or not tip at all, all the time?

Its always a personal choice, theirs to work, and ours to tip or not, without any justification, and I feel it should ultimately remain that way.

That said, I hate skin-flints! 

I totally agree with you, CK II but sadly some seem to think it relevant?

Yet when would/do any of us ask or think to question a waiter/waitress after a pub meal back at home, whether they are declaring it to tax or not? Precious few, if anyone, I would imagine?.

So why please, and not at all personally said, the never ending debate on cruise ship crew, their meagre money, what to tip or not tip at all, all the time?

Its always a personal choice, theirs to work, and ours to tip or not, without any justification, and I feel it should ultimately remain that way.

That said, I hate skin-flints!

I agree that it should be down to personal choice whether one pays or not.

I will longer worry about crew and their pay that's between them and their employer, to many people claim they know how much the crew earn because they've been told by every man and his dog, when in fact the reality is they haven't got a clue.

Enjoy the cruise, why worry about things one has no control over.

HLM.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer to this, P&O say one thing crew say another other people make it up as they go along, the best thing to do is decide for yourself the best option, forget about it and enjoy your holiday.

HLM.

P&O say the crew get all the tips that get paid ,I presume they are not lying to us??

The premium lines like Celebrity the you pay around £250 for the two of you for a 14 night cruise ,makes P&O tips very good value for money...Davybe

P&O say the crew get all the tips that get paid ,I presume they are not lying to us??

The premium lines like Celebrity the you pay around £250 for the two of you for a 14 night cruise ,makes P&O tips very good value for money...Davybe

Hello Davybe, I wouldn't expect P&O to say anything less, speak to some crew members and you get a different answer, some say they get them all, some say they get them if they receive an excellent on the feed back forms, some say different.

Who do you believe?

As said earlier each to their own, I'll do what I want and not worry about anything or anyone else.

HLM.