Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Davybe

Customs at Southampton ?

19 posts in this topic

For the first time in a long time we had a full Customs turn out when leaving Eclipse earlier this month.

They seem to be doing random check's ,we were stopped had to produce Passports and asked if we smoked and had we bought Tobacco products whilst abroad.

We do not smoke and would never buy tobacco for anyone else. Having looked around the table behind us was getting full of Roll your own Tobacco ,and two very unhappy faces??

Maybe the stop's are not that random you just never know. But do Not assume you will not get checked at Southampton....Davybe

waterglen likes this

I have seen, and stopped by customs at Southampton, I did not have anything I should not have had, but had to unlock my suitcase, they told me it was random they stop one in ten.

I don't park on double yellow lines either, because I know I would be the token one to get caught.

Captain Kidd II likes this

Customs are usually out in force if the ship has been to Gibraltar or Canaries, where alcohol and tobacco are cheap.

Brian

We had been to the Canaries ?? having been before and never seen a custom's officer...Davybe

This is surprising - I can't even recall how many times I have sailed back to Southampton and have never been stopped - honest face I guess wink.png

I have seen the odd one but never seen anyone stopped before? Each table in the Nothing to declare Lane had an Officer on it checking us out...Davybe

We had been to the Canaries ?? having been before and never seen a custom's officer...Davybe

I have seen people with suitcases open completely full of cigarettes. This when you are allowed only one carton each.

They do run sniffer dogs round the luggage in the baggage hall before you disembark.

Brian

When we did a TA from Fort Lauderdale, the British immigration officers boarded n Cobh and cleared everyone while on the ship.  They didn't ask any questions about what we were taking into the UK, just looked at passports.  When we arrived in Southampton we walked straight off the ship, no customs officers in sight.  

Sheila

When we did a TA from Fort Lauderdale, the British immigration officers boarded n Cobh and cleared everyone while on the ship.  They didn't ask any questions about what we were taking into the UK, just looked at passports.  When we arrived in Southampton we walked straight off the ship, no customs officers in sight.  

Sheila

Hi Sheila.

Must admit it is the first time for us ,we use the "nothing to declare " Lane and you sometimes get the odd Officer just observing , but this was a fully maned operation with 5 officers pulling people out and going through there bags,the person behind use had loads of roll your own tobacco taken out of their luggage.

Maybe just a show of strength  ,to warn others.

It will have been abused by people who feel they get on over customs....Davybe

No customs officers in Southampton today. But the porter told us they always x-ray cases and use sniffer dogs as the cases are unloaded .If everything looks ok they don't bother.

Davybe likes this

When we returned from the Canaries on the Oriana in September the customs officers were out in force. Lots of people were stopped. Perhaps they had a tip off or as stated by seawitch something was spotted by x-ray or sniffer dogs. . This was the first time we have ever seen customs officers at Southampton 

Returned on Monday to the Ocean Terminal from a Mediterranean Cruise on Cunard Queen Elizabeth. Two customs officials on duty, one male, one female - one at left tables and one on right. Couple directly in front of us were stopped by male on right. Female on left moved and looked ready to stop someone else. We continued unchallenged. Did not have anything, not even duty free alcohol.

Cruise ships deliver lists of all on-board sales to the Customs Officials, for voyages that terminate at US or Canadian ports. I don't know whether this also applies to arrivals at UK ports. Furthermore, this seems to be a pointless practice, because it cannot include items that passengers have purchased, from shops in cheap destinations ashore, such as from the Canaries, Gibraltar or St. Thomas, BVI.

Incidentally, it might still be cost effective to purchase duty paid gins and some whiskies from department stores (such as El Corte Inglese or Carrefour) in Spanish ports, such as Majorca, Barcelona, or Malaga. If so, passengers are allowed to import reasonable quantities into the UK, provided these items are for their personal consumption.