Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

"Remembrance Sunday At Sea"

Any one else been to a Remembrance Service on a ship.

I Was lucky to have the experience twice, The first time wes on our first P&O Cruise ,Arcadia repositioning  to the Caribbean ,On the Sunday we were  3 days away from anywhere and the service was conducted in the main theatre ,by the cruise director and Captain, The solitude of the ship added to the whole experience.

The Next occasion was on Oceana, again on a repo cruise,to the Caribbean.

I found this time the service even more poignant ,as we had two young men ,ex servicemen both with missing limbs? along with a good number of ex service people judging by the old service tattoos plainly visible. Part of the service was conducted by an ex serve pastor,and the hymns were accompanied by the ships pianist,.

You could hear some sobbing and plenty of us were wiping our eyes  ,a most moving experience .

Any of you ever had a Remembrance service at sea...Davybe

We also went to a Remembrance Service on Arcadia on way to Caribbean. We found the experience very moving particularly as I lost my father in World War 11 and my grandson in Afghanistan in 2006. From the reaction of other people they also had experienced similar losses. The service is something I will always remember. Thank you for sharing your memories.

As we cruise October-Nov each year we have been to a few remembrance services at sea, they are always very well attended. The one I will never forget was when we were docked in Malta and all the rear decks were packed with passengers and the cliff side beside the ship packed with local Maltese who sang along with the hymns, observed the 2 mins silence and a local boy played the last post.When the ship sailed at the end of the service the Maltese all saluted as the ship left the dock.

I went to a Remembrance Day service on the Adonia just before she went to be used for trial cruises taking volunteerst to assist in poorer countries as I understand it. 

It really was a wonderful experience. I was part of the Adonia''s singing group under the excellent direction of Geoff Fowler. He was a competent and enthusiastic teacher who brought out the best in the singers, and we had two items to sing during the service. There was also a wonderful poem about the meaning of poppies, read by one of the ship's officers who was ex-military. It was altogether a very moving experience and I was proud to be part of it.