kellyohara

bay of biscay january?

I have sailed back from the Caribbean in January many times, sometimes you do get a couple of rough days but only had one year when it was very bad. All adds to the fun!

Any sea can get rough it's just the Bay of Biscay has a reputation that I personally think is a little unfair. So far I have crossed about 40 times and the only time it was rough were crossings in September and October. I crossed it on one trip at the beginning of February and it was as smooth as a mill pond down to Santander and back. It really is the luck of the draw. 

Wether you feel the motion of a rough sea also depends on the draught of the ship. Deeper the draught the smoother the ride.

As others have said, it's the luck of the draw with the 'Bay' Take some seasickness pills and take them the night before you begin the crossing, they should help.

One of the roughest we have had was in the 'Med' it's a few years ago now but the stretch was known as 'The Gulf of Lions' I'm sure someone will know where that was.wink.png

As others have said, it's the luck of the draw with the 'Bay' Take some seasickness pills and take them the night before you begin the crossing, they should help.

One of the roughest we have had was in the 'Med' it's a few years ago now but the stretch was known as 'The Gulf of Lions' I'm sure someone will know where that was.wink.png

Gulf of Lions is one of the roughest strips of water I have sailed in. The main port in the Gulf is Marseille. 

Gulf of Lions is one of the roughest strips of water I have sailed in. The main port in the Gulf is Marseille. 

That would be the one then OWT. We have cruised the Med so many times I couldn't remember but do remember that particular crossing!!

I think that passengers become alarmed at the prospect of crossing the Bay of Biscay due to its reputation rather than the reality. For many of them, if they did not know they were in the Bay, they would not notice any difference to being anywhere else. I once crossed the Bay of Biscay in a storm on a P & O ship, in daylight, and whilst other ships heaved to to sit out the rough weather the P @ O ship simply ploughed on past them with its stabilizers out. The outside doors to the Promenade Deck were roped closed and, as regards the passengers, they simply had to move about a little more carefully so as not to spill any drinks they were carrying. There were plenty of jokes about "rocking and rolling" and the rough sea was looked upon more as a photo opportunity than anything else. Don't let the thought of crossing the Bay of Biscay deter you from having an enjoyable cruise.   

I think that passengers become alarmed at the prospect of crossing the Bay of Biscay due to its reputation rather than the reality. For many of them, if they did not know they were in the Bay, they would not notice any difference to being anywhere else. I once crossed the Bay of Biscay in a storm on a P & O ship, in daylight, and whilst other ships heaved to to sit out the rough weather the P @ O ship simply ploughed on past them with its stabilizers out. The outside doors to the Promenade Deck were roped closed and, as regards the passengers, they simply had to move about a little more carefully so as not to spill any drinks they were carrying. There were plenty of jokes about "rocking and rolling" and the rough sea was looked upon more as a photo opportunity than anything else. Don't let the thought of crossing the Bay of Biscay deter you from having an enjoyable cruise.   

And walking like Crabs ! biggrin.png Setting off in one direction and finding ourselves going in the wrong direction - always makes us chuckle biggrin.png

We went across last summer and we're surprised when the captain apologised the morning after for the rough night, we hadn't noticed. But friends went in October of the previous year and had a miserable cruise where they couldn't go out on deck two days there and one back and lots of other weather related issues which has really put them off. As said above you can't predict the weather BUT the odds of getting bad weather are much greater in winter.

Have crossed the Bay a couple of dozens times and only one was "rough" and even that one did not stop the buffet being full as usual. As many have said the weather is unpredictable but most modern cruide liners seem to cope quite well. Hopefully it will be worth it for all the other benefits of a cruise and the others will enjoy it even if it is not tranquil. Good luck

We are off to the Canaries on Ventura in January, don't know if this is the same cruise the OP is thinking about.  We will go prepared with Stugeron just in case.  As others have said, it can be rough at any time of year, even in the middle of summer.  Just because it will be January it doesn't automatically mean it will be rough.  Go prepared and you'll be fine.  The Captain will usually warn passengers if it is going to be a bumpy crossing so they can take whatever they need.  We don't go expecting it to be rough, we go expecting a wonderful cruise!