Chubbs

Is it worth pre booking flights seats with P&O to the Caribbean?

Have never pre booked seats as it always seems like another way to separate the traveller from their wallet. Would also add that we have never sat apart on a plane and in all honesty have never met anyone who has. Because of seat configuration, especially on wide bodied twin aisle aircraft, there is no reason why couples should be separated. 

If you want a window seat I would book, but if you don't mind being in the middle then you will usually still get to sit together without having to book. I would keep checking and if getting booked up then pre book, otherwise wait until the airport

I guess the answer is "What is important to you?"

If you are happy to be sat apart then take the risk and don't book and hope you are lucky but if you really want to sit together then book them. I get annoyed by people who don't book then moan they are apart and spend 8 and a half hours going on about it. 

we didnt pre book seats but still got seats together. All window seats do get pre booked very early, For an extra £80 round trip for the two of us - imagine how much Rum you could drink for that in the Caribbean PLUS after 2 weeks together i think id be happy sat at the other end of the plane!

Its another way of making money for the airline as there is no cost involved booking seats together. Personally I think it should be first come have first choice. The sooner one books a flight the sooner one gets to book preffered seats at no extra cost. The airline already have the money in the bank so why they have to exploit this further is beyond me.

My wife and I pre-book our seats as we prefer not to be given middle seats in a row of four. We look to have aisle and window seats simply for ease of access. However, we have just discovered that BA's price for reserving a seat now varies according the the seat(s) chosen. Some are £10.00 more expensive than others. This really is money grabbing.  

The answer is yes it is but,  very much more important is to ensure you upgrade to premium economy if you are taking the P&O charter. I'm sure you have heard the term Cattle Class, well they feel they have to live up to that on these charter flights, Thompson or Thomas Cook.. It's just like Easy Jet only for a lot longer. and the so called Dreamliners are anything but!!

Had a long haul flight to Barbados with Thomas Cook back in 2010 to take a Caribbean Cruise. It was the most uncomfortable 10 hr flight I have ever had. There was very little legroom, I had to stand at the back of the aircraft several times because my legs went numb and I was concerned about DVT. I could not focus on the in-flight entertainment because the lcd TV screen was to close in the seat in front. When the person in front of me reclined there seat, the seat frame hit my knee cap I then had to spend the rest of the flight with an ice pack held on my knee. If the seat in front of you is reclined you would not even read a book as there was no room in front of you to hold a book, so you have to sit there clock watching to pass the time. It was so bad that when we eventually got on board our cruise ship we decided to complain to the Customer relations desk on board ship, as we stood there in the queue a couple in front of us at the desk was complaining bitterly about the flight they had with Thomas Cook, and was flatly refusing to return to Gatwick with Thomas Cook. We complained and two days later the on board Customer relations deck phoned our cabin and offered us a flight back to Cardiff with Thomson Fly which we accepted. 10/10 for Princess Cruises customer relations. Up till then or cruise was being spoilt because we were dreading the flight back to Gatwick with Thomas Cook. When we did fly back to Cardiff at the end of the cruise with Thomson Fly, it was as we expected a long hall flight to be, plenty of legroom, comfortable seats, excellent cabin crew, good in flight entertainment, excellent! My recommendation, Don’t fly with Thomas Cook. So if you start your cruise right then you are going to enjoy the rest of it.

First time we encountered this we were asked at check in for £30 p.p.each way (15 years ago going UK to Goa). We refused...I said I knew what my husband looked like sleeping so wasn't prepared to pay for the pleasure! We were given 1 pass for front and 1 fro the middle! On the way back, we had seats together..no money paid. It is just another big airline rip off...

Not for me thanks. I'd rather spend the £160 (for 4 of us) on something else. If the airline want to split us up and let other passengers look after my kids, then on their heads be it!!! :)

(Of course I have to say that my kids are impeccably behaved and I also think there is no way they wouldn't sit us together anyway!)

Just back from a Caribbean fly cruise and a large number of people who had not pre-booked and paid for their seats found themselves split up in different rows from their partner. If you don't want to pay or be split up, the best plan is to get to the airport very early so you are near the front of the check in queue and there should still be seats together available. However, on the return journey, the seats are allocated before you get to the airport, so there is, I guess, a chance that people without seat reservations may again find themselves split up from partner/ family.