amatorpedalis

Yellow Fever Exemption Certificate

I have been advised medically not to have the Yellow Fever vaccination and have an ICV stamped and signed accordingly. I travel to Manuas Brazil in January 2017 on the Oriana and want to know whether I can go ashore in Brazil. Do any of you have any experience of fellow passengers being able to go ashore at the Amazon ports with an exemption certificate. Without going ashore we could be on the ship for 3 weeks and after all we are doing the cruise to see Manuas and the Rio Negro. All comments gratefully received.  

My wife and I are also on this cruise.

There is no requirement for the certificate/exemption document in Brazil.

See http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/south-america--antarctica/brazil.aspx

Obviously you will need to take bite precautions as one would preferably have had the vaccination. One would of course avoid bites in relation to other diseases.

You might like to consider anti-mosquito clothing (eg Craghopper Nosilife) as well as sprays. I find Autan a suitable alternative to DEET, beware herbal sprays as they may not be effective.

The certification on this cruse is a requirement of the Cape Verde islands having come from Brazil.

Happy Cruising

You will find a complete list of countries that insist upon a vaccination certificate on the World Health Organisation website at http://who.int/ith/ITH_country_list.pdf.

Passengers do not require a yellow fever certificate (or exemption certificate) to enter or go ashore in Brazil.  However, you should seek professional advice and consider carefully whether it is wise to visit such a high risk area, if you have not received the vaccination.  Incidentally, you should also take anti-malarial medication.

Following the ship's departure from the Amazon, your next port of call will be St Vincent in the Cape Verde Islands, where a yellow fever vaccination certificate is required for travellers over 1 year of age arriving from countries with risk of yellow fever transmission.  The local immigration officials might not accept your exemption certificate, but in practice, I doubt whether they will prevent you from going ashore in St. Vincent.  You will not require a certificate for Tenerife or any subsequent ports.

Gents thanks for taking the trouble to give your views. I have also read the advice on the websites and can see no requirement for Yellow Fever vaccination in Brazil however both Bolsover Travel and P&O state as per the brochure that a Yellow Fever vaccination is a requirement for this cruise. We actually attended a NHS travel clinic for the vaccination only to be told that as " we were over 59 years of age the side effects outweighed the potential advantages" and they would not give it and advised us how to avoid being bitten and to attend a private clinic if we really wanted the vaccination. We have an exemption certificate, but must now decide whether to take all precautions not to get bitten or have the vaccination. The very last thing we wanted was to get to either Southampton and not be able to travel or to get to Manaus and not be allowed to go ashore. We have been to Cape Verde Islands before and it wouldn't be that a great a loss if we could not go ashore there.   

If you are only marginally over 60 years of age, it might be worth considering obtaining a yellow fever vaccination from a private clinic.  Many clinics are happy to vaccinate travellers up to 65 or even 70 years of age.  The certificates are valid for life so if you obtain one now, you will not experience similar problems in the future, if your travels take you to other high risk countries..

The next comment is purely an afterthought, which has nothing to do with vaccination certificates.

The Amazon flows through a rain forest - and what happens in a rain forest?  Yes.  It rains.

We enjoyed a cruise from Manaus to Fort Lauderdale many years ago.  One of the stops was a tiny village in the jungle, where the only access was a muddy path from a wooden landing stage.  Our shoes became soaked and covered in mud, so we wished we had packed some very old trainers or similar footwear, to be discarded after they had served their purpose.  You will only have three stopping points on the Amazon (the towns of Manaus, Parintins and Santarem), so you will not experience that problem.  However, expect plenty of rain and pack accordingly, including lightweight waterproofs.  Then, you can be grateful, if you are blessed with fine weather.

Enjoy your cruise.

We were on the Aurora World cruise last year and were advised against the yellow fever vaccination because of our ages. We didn't have an exemption certificate and had no problem getting off the ship.

We went to the Amazon about five years ago and flew on a P&O charter flight from Doncaster. P&O staff checked the yellow fever certificate as you checked in. They told us no certificate no flight. We holidayed in Cape Verdi about three years ago and nobody mentioned anything about yellow fever certificate. It sound like everybody as a different answer.