Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oldworldtraveller

New Forum Look

20 posts in this topic

What the xxxx is going on? Who into their right mind agreed this new layout? I have just come on for the first time today and just cannot find what I want.

Please bringt He old layout back as you just cannot see what it going on easily. Is this an attempt to get every onebon Facebook?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could I also ask, how do I find my previous posts, how do i see who has looked at my profile, where are my list of forum friends.

I remember a couple of years ago another well known cruise forum that changed everything and the admin didn't listen to its members. It lost a lot of its regular posters and indeed many of those that left formed another forum.

*Dancing Queen* likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must admit I took a quick look at the format last night and didn't bother looking any further, we are all creatures of habit and most of us don't like change but I am always willing to try something new however at the moment I can't see how this is an improvement on what we had, a sentiment shared by several others it appears.

I would echo what OWT says about another well known forum, it did indeed lose many of it's regular posters and along with it "a wealth of information" I hope Bolsover don't make the same mistake imo it would be a big mistake to alienate those who have strove to help make this forum a success and I would think a brave move when the membership isn't that well established.

Sorry to be so negative but as the Terminator says 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' 

Oldworldtraveller, HLM and Tally like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Could I also ask, how do I find my previous posts, how do i see who has looked at my profile, where are my list of forum friends.

I remember a couple of years ago another well known cruise forum that changed everything and the admin didn't listen to its members. It lost a lot of its regular posters and indeed many of those that left formed another forum.

Hi OWT

You can view previous posts and related information by clicking on your username in the top right hand corner.

Instead of friends, the forum now features followers. A member now has the ability to follow another member without that being automatically reciprocal. We had the option of converting friends to followers, but decided against this as it could result in undesired notifications.

Another change worth mentioning is that usernames and display names have now been merged. We opted to keep usernames as it's what members use to login to the forum.

We're still working on the forum so you may notice further changes. We hope we have cleared up a few issues for you and thank you for your patience.

Regards

Bolsover Cruise Club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Terminator said:

Was it broke?

If not then don't fix it...

 

Awful

 

 

 

26 minutes ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I must admit I took a quick look at the format last night and didn't bother looking any further, we are all creatures of habit and most of us don't like change but I am always willing to try something new however at the moment I can't see how this is an improvement on what we had, a sentiment shared by several others it appears.

I would echo what OWT says about another well known forum, it did indeed lose many of it's regular posters and along with it "a wealth of information" I hope Bolsover don't make the same mistake imo it would be a big mistake to alienate those who have strove to help make this forum a success and I would think a brave move when the membership isn't that well established.

Sorry to be so negative but as the Terminator says 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' 

 

Hi Terminator, Dancing Queen

The forum had a few areas that were 'broken' , we were unable to fix these while running an old version of the software.

Regards

Bolsover Cruise Club

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand the comments, and the fact that none of us like change when we are used to something but I suppose we will get used to the new layout, if it was broke then any fixes are good I bet it must be a real headache for the administrators.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Forum Admin said:

 

 

Hi Terminator, Dancing Queen

The forum had a few areas that were 'broken' , we were unable to fix these while running an old version of the software.

Regards

Bolsover Cruise Club

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Forum Admin said:

Hi OWT

You can view previous posts and related information by clicking on your username in the top right hand corner.

Instead of friends, the forum now features followers. A member now has the ability to follow another member without that being automatically reciprocal. We had the option of converting friends to followers, but decided against this as it could result in undesired notifications.

Another change worth mentioning is that usernames and display names have now been merged. We opted to keep usernames as it's what members use to login to the forum.

We're still working on the forum so you may notice further changes. We hope we have cleared up a few issues for you and thank you for your patience.

Regards

Bolsover Cruise Club

Thank you for your response. 

I agree with the comment that no one likes change but I really don't see the advantage of the change. One problem I have noticed as a moderator on another site/forum is that quite often formats for forums are designed by people who do not use forums and have no experience of forums. A design company is brought in to re-design the main company site which is joined to the forum and by doing this it automatically changes the forum, hence disastrous results with forums in some quarters. If you ran the main site and the forum as separate entities there would be no need for change. Am I correct?

Why is it I have to log in on every visit?

HLM likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi owt, i too am getting the sign in page everytime but when i click on a topic i am signed in again so dont have to put in email or password, not ideal i know but it does keep you signed in.

i really dont find the layout any different, buttons have different names but otherwise everything is in the same place.

as for bolsovers new website layout BIG improvement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Thank you for your response. 

I agree with the comment that no one likes change but I really don't see the advantage of the change. One problem I have noticed as a moderator on another site/forum is that quite often formats for forums are designed by people who do not use forums and have no experience of forums. A design company is brought in to re-design the main company site which is joined to the forum and by doing this it automatically changes the forum, hence disastrous results with forums in some quarters. If you ran the main site and the forum as separate entities there would be no need for change. Am I correct?

Why is it I have to log in on every visit?

Good morning OWT

Thank you for your feedback.

If you look at the screen shots we have shared on another post you will see that any changes to the layout are in fact minimal. We have updated the style of the forum to run inline with our main site as we feel it is important to keep consistency.

The advantage of the change is that we are now running a much more stable version of the software. This will allow us to quickly find and fix bugs, and introduce new features to our members.

With regards to the sign in issue you have raised, we are looking in to this for you. Can we ask if you have checked the 'Remember me' option when signing in? Also, depending on which web browser you are using there may be an additional pop up notification asking if you would like to stay signed in.

Screen shot 2016-12-01 at 10.18.26.png

We really do hope you can get used to the changes and that you'll stick around :)

Regards

Bolsover Cruise Club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Forum Admin said:

Good morning OWT

Thank you for your feedback.

If you look at the screen shots we have shared on another post you will see that any changes to the layout are in fact minimal. We have updated the style of the forum to run inline with our main site as we feel it is important to keep consistency.

The advantage of the change is that we are now running a much more stable version of the software. This will allow us to quickly find and fix bugs, and introduce new features to our members.

With regards to the sign in issue you have raised, we are looking in to this for you. Can we ask if you have checked the 'Remember me' option when signing in? Also, depending on which web browser you are using there may be an additional pop up notification asking if you would like to stay signed in.

Screen shot 2016-12-01 at 10.18.26.png

We really do hope you can get used to the changes and that you'll stick around :)

Regards

Bolsover Cruise Club

Yes, I have ticked all the boxes and yes I will stick around and try to get used to it but at present it is alien to what I'm used to and most of the other forums on the web. 

HLM likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Yes, I have ticked all the boxes and yes I will stick around and try to get used to it but at present it is alien to what I'm used to and most of the other forums on the web. 

Hi OWT

Great news! We'll keep you posted on the sign in issue.

Regards

Bolsover Cruise Club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0