Forum Admin

Recent Changes

13 hours ago, Terminator said:

Think I'll be giving it a rest as well..the mobile version which I use whilst away from home is particularly bad and a nightmare to negotiate.

It would help if the quote boxes were more prominent as text from quotes and replies tends to blend.

Just look at HLM's post above.

1 hour ago, Forum Admin said:

Hi Terminator

Thank you for your feedback.

The new version of the forum does have it's own mobile version rather than defaulting to the very basic layout that was used before. This should make navigating the forum on mobile much easier, we're sorry that you're not finding this.

We'll see if we can get the quote box darkened up for you.

Regards

Bolsover Cruise Club

You should know by now that it's impossible to please the Terminator :lol:

Whilst I am getting used to the new set up, the most annoying part is the "all activity" section, this I assume has replaced the "most recent posts" which is the way I preferred to view the forum.

In the past hour several comments have been posted on the Adonia thread, along with several 'likes' etc, this almost takes up the first page, so I'm having to scroll through lots of posts etc to find the threads I'm interested in.

I appreciate that you can get tagged to certain threads but I much preferred to browse the 'most recent' threads without not having to trawl through five answers to the same thread in the last hour.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say:blink:

HLM.

2 minutes ago, HLM said:

Whilst I am getting used to the new set up, the most annoying part is the "all activity" section, this I assume has replaced the "most recent posts" which is the way I preferred to view the forum.

In the past hour several comments have been posted on the Adonia thread, along with several 'likes' etc, this almost takes up the first page, so I'm having to scroll through lots of posts etc to find the threads I'm interested in.

I appreciate that you can get tagged to certain threads but I much preferred to browse the 'most recent' threads without not having to trawl through five answers to the same thread in the last hour.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say:blink:

HLM.

no this is now called 'unread content' (big green button where most recent used to be) instead of 'most recent' click on that and you can narrow down to only unread or all content from most recent

2 minutes ago, Furby said:

no this is now called 'unread content' (big green button where most recent used to be) instead of 'most recent' click on that and you can narrow down to only unread or all content from most recent

Hi Furby.

I have tried that but it's alway empty saying this "There are no results to show in this activity stream yet" 

Am I missing something?:mellow:

9 minutes ago, HLM said:

Hi Furby.

I have tried that but it's alway empty saying this "There are no results to show in this activity stream yet" 

Am I missing something?:mellow:

just above that click on the third drop down box along called 'read status' and click 'everything' and it will then show all topics from most recent

18 minutes ago, Furby said:

just above that click on the third drop down box along called 'read status' and click 'everything' and it will then show all topics from most recent

Thanks Furby, still not ideal but better than before.

HLM.

Just now, HLM said:

Thanks Furby, still not ideal but better than before.

HLM.

its a few more clicks but the end result is displayed a lot better and clearer in terms of how recent it is

1 minute ago, Furby said:

its a few more clicks but the end result is displayed a lot better and clearer in terms of how recent it is

I agree, unfortunately as I am not exactly computer savvy changes such as this take a long time to get into that old brain of mine.

At least I can use emotions now, never found them before so at least one good things come out of the change:D

HLM.

1 hour ago, HLM said:

I agree, unfortunately as I am not exactly computer savvy changes such as this take a long time to get into that old brain of mine.

At least I can use emotions now, never found them before so at least one good things come out of the change:D

HLM.

haha well we can all help each other figure it out and the forum moderators are being pretty good at explaining it all too

Admin are doing a great job helping us out - please keep it up. I wonder if there is a relationship between thise who love the new appearance also loving the big ships whilst those who do not are those who love the smaller ships? Now let's see what happens!

52 minutes ago, Captain Kidd II said:

Admin are doing a great job helping us out - please keep it up. I wonder if there is a relationship between these who love the new appearance also loving the big ships whilst those who do not are those who love the smaller ships? Now let's see what happens!

Thanks Captain Kidd II.

There could be a connection between the two. Why not start a poll and find out, it might be quite interesting...

Screen shot 2016-12-01 at 19.50.27.png

Regards

Bolsover Cruise Club

1 hour ago, Captain Kidd II said:

Admin are doing a great job helping us out - please keep it up. I wonder if there is a relationship between thise who love the new appearance also loving the big ships whilst those who do not are those who love the smaller ships? Now let's see what happens!

We like the new look and contrary to your post we like the smaller ships!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Popsicle said:

Love the new look - really fresh and up to date!

Navigation around the forum is really clear, think this is a fantastic step forward in line with the lovely new website! :D

As a Bolsover employee you can hardly not support the new forum can you, I actually suspect a few others singing it's praises are employees too ;)  although I will apologise for this assumption if I am incorrect.

As for it being a step forward in line with the lovely new website well I'm afraid I don't think that is a step forward either, I was checking a cruise out last night and tbh it was hard work so I moved on to another site which is far easier to follow and they will probably get my booking.

I think what people tend to forget is those at Bolsover are using the site all day every day .. we are not and all we/I want is 'simple' take that away and people will move on to 'pastures new' I appreciate admin are being very helpful and thank them for that but I don't have the time or the inclination to spend any more time on here than I do already, the old format must have been pretty user friendly as I haven't been aware of anyone saying they encountered any problems .. still not the members decision so good luck with it.

Just now, *Dancing Queen* said:

As a Bolsover employee you can hardly not support the new forum can you, I actually suspect a few others singing it's praises are employees too ;)  although I will apologise for this assumption if I am incorrect.

As for it being a step forward in line with the lovely new website well I'm afraid I don't think that is a step forward either, I was checking a cruise out last night and tbh it was hard work so I moved on to another site which is far easier to follow and they will probably get my booking.

I think what people tend to forget is those at Bolsover are using the site all day every day .. we are not and all we/I want is 'simple' take that away and people will move on to 'pastures new' I appreciate admin are being very helpful and thank them for that but I don't have the time or the inclination to spend any more time on here than I do already, the old format must have been pretty user friendly as I haven't been aware of anyone saying they encountered any problems .. still not the members decision so good luck with it.

Actually no, I couldn't disagree with you more! No one asked me to 'sing any praises' at all. That is my personal opinion and one I stand by.

I certainly have no qualms in pointing out where issues are to anyone, and if I didn't think that the changes were positive I would simply not have commented on here, and made my criticisms to the team involved in running the sites.

With regards to the new website, as with any new platform issues will always arise - but feedback is what is needed!! I am sure that your comments regarding the ease of use will be noted by the team. I personally think that this forum is far simpler than the old. As with anything that changes though you have to spend some time negotiating your way around to get used to where things are. The old website was troublesome and unreliable, and the changes that have been made will make things a lot simpler than they were.... it is a work in progress I understand and so some teething problems are bound to come to light.

I didn't actually say anyone had asked you to sing any praises what  I said was .. as a Bolsover employee you are hardly not going to support it,  of course you are entitled to your 'personal' opinion as anyone is, I just think yours and others might be slightly more biased.

Feedback is all well and good and I appreciate 'tweaks' can and probably will be made if possible but if people don't like the forum then they won't use it .. just my opinion :)

One of the problems for the Admin is not just problems thrown up by the new style forum but sorting out those problems. As I said earlier, I am prepared to give the new style a try but have to admit am getting totally fed up with having to sign in on every visit. First you complete your email address followed by your password ensuring the box is ticked which then takes you to yet another box which has to be authorised. I really do have a problem understanding why there are so many teething problems. If forums are set up by people who are experienced at designing forums it is my belief that all these teething troubles would not happen simply because they would have encountered them before and therefore not make the same mistake again. I also suspect that every time that admin make a request to the designers for an alteration there is a cost factor involved. Is that correct Admin?

I can understand where Dancing Queen is coming from as it must be very difficult for employees to not like something done by their employers and in fairness I have not seen one of them, male or female, say anything against the new forum yet they must be suffering from the same problems as the rest of us. However if that is their genuine belief then they are of course entitled to it.

On 12/1/2016 at 7:58 PM, Forum Admin said:

Thanks Captain Kidd II.

There could be a connection between the two. Why not start a poll and find out, it might be quite interesting...

Screen shot 2016-12-01 at 19.50.27.png

Regards

Bolsover Cruise Club

So what is it you want to find out? That all of the old fuddy duddy's who like the smaller ships and the old style of cruising don't like the new forum and all the young trendy cruisers that will be your future clientele do? Count me as an old fuddy duddy.

At the moment, i'm reserving judgement on the new look forum. I've managed to work out how to find subjects I've not read but when I click on the thread title, I takes me to the first post and I then have to scroll through it to the first unread post. What am I not doing - it can't, surely, be meant to be like that?

Also, every time I visit the site, I have to put in my user name and password - despite the "remember me" box being ticked by default - again, is this how it is meant to be?

I'm glad you've said that Sir C because I thought it was me and it was something I was doing wrong when everything I click on takes me to the first post.

Apparently if you have ticked the remember me box if you click straight onto a topic you will see you are already logged in which is fine once you know but for any newcomers who don't know it isn't, I do believe someone said 'do a few extra clicks matter for a much improved format' well yes I do believe it matters if your first impression is one of a not easy to navigate site, first impressions do count !!

I really don't want to be negative about this site and I will admit I am not the most computer savvy person around so I accept some will find it far easier to navigate than I do, I would also agree with what has been said that the home page hasn't altered that much and does look better on the eye but that is about the only good thing I can say. 

In the last 2/3 days I have tried to look for positives rather than negatives but imo it is messy and cluttered .. I guess time will tell who is right or wrong !!