Sign in to follow this  
piphardy

South America Land Tours

My wife and I have booked with NCL from Santiago to Buenos Aires next March. First time with NCL

Having looked at the Land Tours available they seem very expensive. Anything up to £400 each.

I would appreciate it if anyone has had any experience of these tours in this area of South America which includes the Falklands. Thanks

Pip

We did not take any ship's tours in South America.  We spent three days pre cruise in Buenos Aires, took the HOHO bus, did a free walking tour (just a tip for the guide) and booked a tango show on line.  There was plenty of advice on Trip Advisor for this and other ports.

We walked to the end of the pier  in Ushuaia and booked a catamaran trip on the Beagle Channel at a kiosk for about half the price the ship was charging.  We went first thing in the morning so had no worries about missing the ship.  Other tours were booked with local companies that received good reviews from Trip Advisor, including a highly recommended one in the Falklands which we missed because weather conditions prevented us going ashore.  We did not lose any money because of this, our deposit was quickly refunded by the tour company.

Santiago is a beautiful city and easy to tour independently.  We stayed there for three days after the cruise.

I hope you enjoy this cruise as much as we did.  Be prepared for extreme weather - close to 100 degrees in BA, and very cold and windy in the South.

18 hours ago, Furby said:

are you talking about land tours as in an 1+ night tour or shore excursions as in a day tour/trip?

Thank you Furby. I am talking about shore excursions as in day tour from the ship

11 hours ago, smtcan said:

We did not take any ship's tours in South America.  We spent three days pre cruise in Buenos Aires, took the HOHO bus, did a free walking tour (just a tip for the guide) and booked a tango show on line.  There was plenty of advice on Trip Advisor for this and other ports.

We walked to the end of the pier  in Ushuaia and booked a catamaran trip on the Beagle Channel at a kiosk for about half the price the ship was charging.  We went first thing in the morning so had no worries about missing the ship.  Other tours were booked with local companies that received good reviews from Trip Advisor, including a highly recommended one in the Falklands which we missed because weather conditions prevented us going ashore.  We did not lose any money because of this, our deposit was quickly refunded by the tour company.

Santiago is a beautiful city and easy to tour independently.  We stayed there for three days after the cruise.

I hope you enjoy this cruise as much as we did.  Be prepared for extreme weather - close to 100 degrees in BA, and very cold and windy in the South.

Thank you, your comments are very helpful