Sign in to follow this  
Furby

'Princess Cruises receives record $40m fine over 'deliberate pollution''

This is terrible! In this day and age when we know how important it is to help the environment this is awful! Its put me off Princess but I wonder how many other companies have got away with this :(

'At the same time as making the dump, engineers simultaneously ran clean seawater through the ship’s overboard equipment in order to create a false digital record for a legitimate discharge.'

'However, the investigation revealed the ship had been making illegal dumps through a bypass ’magic pipe’ since 2005.'

On 12/2/2016 at 0:33 PM, Furby said:

This is terrible! In this day and age when we know how important it is to help the environment this is awful! Its put me off Princess but I wonder how many other companies have got away with this :(

'At the same time as making the dump, engineers simultaneously ran clean seawater through the ship’s overboard equipment in order to create a false digital record for a legitimate discharge.'

'However, the investigation revealed the ship had been making illegal dumps through a bypass ’magic pipe’ since 2005.'

Seem To remember Celebrity getting Fined for pollution in the Arctic a few years ago.

No doubt other have done it but have not been caught ...Davybe

these things do happen when they shouldn,t and when cruise lines get caught the need fining , we need to keep the oceans clean from refuse . this was an old story from 2013 . 

45 minutes ago, ncc62 said:

these things do happen when they shouldn,t and when cruise lines get caught the need fining , we need to keep the oceans clean from refuse . this was an old story from 2013 . 

when i posted this last year it was from an up to date news article not from 2013

3 minutes ago, Furby said:

when i posted this last year it was from an up to date news article not from 2013

the actual article is dated 

The sentence has been imposed by US District Judge Patricia A Seitz in Miami, who also ordered that US$1 million be awarded to a British engineer, who first reported the illegal discharges to the British Maritime and Coastguard Agency, which in turn provided the evidence to the US Coast Guard.  The newly hired engineer on Caribbean Princess reported that a so-called ‘magic pipe’ had been used on 23 August 2013 to illegally discharge oily waste off the coast of England without the use of required pollution prevention equipment. The evidence gathered by the whistleblower, including photographs of the magic pipe, led to an inspection of the cruise ship both in England and when it reached New York on 14 September 2013. During each of the separate inspections it was alleged that certain crew members concealed the illegal activity by lying to the authorities in accordance with orders they had received from Caribbean Princess engineering officers.

3 minutes ago, Furby said:

the incident might of been 2013 but the article i was looking at which might not be the same one your looking at was in december 2016

hi Furby its the same incident they just keep brining it up in the news ,  was even reported as recent as 24 april 2017 this year , bad news for cruise lines is headline news for the papers , Sells Copies