Sign in to follow this  
Honey73

Most memorable cruising moment

Getting stuck in a lift on QE2. The door was finally prised open but the floor of the lift was about 2-3 ft above the deck floor. The others in the lift just jumped but I couldn't bring myself to do it as I had visions of somehow slipping & going under the lift & down the shaft. A chair was brought to step down onto & I will always remember the crew mans face as I practically got him in a stranglehold clinging on to him for dear life as I gingerly got onto the chair. We were later given a bottle of champagne so it all turned out well.

It was certainly memorable! I was the only one who got the champagne cos the ones who jumped out just went away so the crewman (my hero!) couldn't get their names & cabin numbers.

For me it was our first Cruise.

We booked a 7 night cruise on Celebrities "Century" and flew to Miami for the cruise.

I had to cancel the first booking as I ruptured my Tendon and spent 12 weeks off work. We rearrange the cruise and were waiting for our tickets over christmas and new year  ,we flew out on the 5th  Jan. 

We caught the shuttle bus from the hotel and the sight of that ship when we arrived ,i can still see it ,it was so big (not by today's standards ) We waited on the couch and got a chat from a shore side manager .

We had a family room with a separate bedroom ,and the food and service was out of this world .Menus were by the Roux brothers ,and everything was freshly made .

A first memorable cruise that got us hooked ,Sadly cruising in general has gone down hill since then but still a nice way to holiday...Davybe 

My memorable moment was sailing into Venice - along the lagoon and past St Mark's square - it was wonderful. It was followed closely that evening by the view from my balcony over the whole of Venice with the lights reflecting in the various canals. Our sail out of Venice was due for around 4.30 (daylight) and I was looking forward to it but because of a medical emergency, we were delayed by a couple of hours and left about 6.30 by which time it was dark. My initial disappointment was quickly followed by delight as we sailed back past St Marks Square and through the lagoon with all the (colourful) city lights twinkling and reflecting in the water as we passed them. 

A cruise into (and out of) Venice was on my bucket list and I'm so glad that I got to do it - magical!!

Hi Honey 73,

Agree with Sir Cumference on the approach to Venice.  Stunning!!

However, on 30 January 2016 we were on Aurora, sailing into Lahaina on the Pacific Island of Maui.  The sight of a huge number of whales blowing all around the ship was definitely unforgettable.

DavidH

We've had a lot of memorable moments on our cruises. It's very hard to choose. One that does come to mind was years ago on our cruise to Alaska and the spectacular close up view of our first glacier!

011_11.JPG

A  very difficult question as I have been lucky enough to visit some incredible places but sailing north of the Arctic Circle in January where the sun rises and sets in under an hour with incredible sunsets are something to remember. Seeing the Northern Lights, being pulled by a team of Huskies on a Sledge, spending time in an Ice Hotel, riding a Snowmobile and cutting through the ice of a frozen Fjord and fishing for King Crab takes some beating. 

IMG_7003.JPG

IMG_7045.JPG

Norway 310.JPG

Norway_352.JPG

Edited by Oldworldtraveller

July 2013 The Baltic on the Boudicca.  During the last weekr of my husband life he said that he would like me to take the family on a cruise and have his ashes scattered in the Baltic.  I rang Fred Olsen and they said that there should be no problem.  In international waters just off Tallinn the Captain stopped the ship. We had all been invited to part of the ship not usually available to passengers, a door was opened and we were just about 12" from the water. I had been asked if there were four crew members I would like present. So with Five Officers, a representative from F.O. office, two dancers and two waiters joining the family and I, the Captain did a really lovely service. I was helped to scatter his ashes and was presented with flowers to float on the sea. The captain then invited us to have afternoon tea in his state room. A copy of the service was signed by him then laminated for me. That Captain is now on the Black Watch and this year remembered me.  A caring cruise line.