Sign in to follow this  
Oldworldtraveller

The Ocean Medallion from Princess Cruises

At a press release held in London this afternoon Princess Cruises announced the launch of 'Ocean Medallion'.

The medallion, which is the same size as a 10p piece, will automatically provide information to guests during their cruise to give a more personalised onboard experience. It can be worn by guests as a pendant, on a wristband or simply placed in a pocket or bag.

The medallion will be used to:

·       Streamline the embarkation and disembarkation process, as the medallion gives quick and easy access to the ship

·      

.       Lock and unlock an assigned stateroom door as guests near it, so replacing the current key card

·       Enable guests to purchase merchandise, services, excursions, food and drinks

·       Provide enhanced dining experiences based on food and drink preferences

·       Create an array of interactive gaming and other personalised entertainment

·       Enhance interaction with crew members and other guests

The medallion is fully automated and has no visible technology such as an on-off switch or charging function. The data it collects is based on preferences provided by guests before and during their cruise. Guests can supply as much or as little information as required in order to help personalise their cruise.

In addition, an Ocean Compass for guests is also being introduced. The Ocean Compass acts as a ‘digital concierge,’ which is accessible via interactive displays throughout the ship, stateroom TVs or on personal mobile devices.

I     It can assist guests in a number of ways, including:

·       Finding their way to venues around the ship

·       Making reservations at the Lotus spa, speciality dining restaurants and shore excursions

·       Arranging celebrations

·       Viewing photographs

·       Learning more about destinations they will visit and activities at each port of call

Crew members will similarly have access to a Crew Compass that will instantly recognise each guest, so they can tailor suggestions and information based on the guest’s preferences.

The Ocean Medallion will be available from November 13, 2017, on Regal Princess, followed by Royal Princess and Caribbean Princess in early 2018.

Other benefits of the Ocean Medallion and Ocean Compass include:

·       The option for guests to place select dining orders and have them delivered to their current location. For example, by using the Ocean Compass guests can order select food and beverages   from a poolside lounge chair

·       Similarly, guests can place a drink order and have it delivered to where they plan to be at a designated time. For example, an order for a glass of wine at the theatre can be made prior to a show, which will then be delivered to guests at their seat

·       Parents of older children can keep track of where they are onboard, while friends and family will be able to communicate with each other through seamless instant messenger service

Tony Roberts, Princess Cruises' vice president UK and Europe, said: “The Ocean Medallion represents the next generation of cruise and holiday technology and we are thrilled it will first appear on the Princess fleet.  We will be able to offer our guests an experience that cannot be found anywhere else.”

Ocean Medallion Close-up - Guests Drinking Champagne .jpg

1 hour ago, cruise chef said:

not meaning to sound negative OWT but does that mean it will only work 1 hour during the day providing you are in the right area of the ship and it will take staff an age to log onto it

Had to read this twice before I clicked on what you meant. :D This question was asked at the press release and they say that it is tuned to the internal wi-fi system and not the satellite wi-fi. Don't ask me the tecnocalities as I haven't got a clue but apparently there are also 'Backups' in place. 

RCI introduced a similar thing early last year, which apparently works well for those who use the internet ,and can upload all the info they require .Which will exclude a lot of the elderly cruiser's .

From what I read they can get you onto the ship in 10 minutes using this  system,mainly it will be used on the Mega Ships  or ships that have Wi-fi through out ?

Me I am quite happy with the card we use now  ....Davybe

30 minutes ago, Davybe said:

RCI introduced a similar thing early last year, which apparently works well for those who use the internet ,and can upload all the info they require .Which will exclude a lot of the elderly cruiser's .

From what I read they can get you onto the ship in 10 minutes using this  system,mainly it will be used on the Mega Ships  or ships that have Wi-fi through out ?

Me I am quite happy with the card we use now  ....Davybe

I would certainly confirm the speed with which you can board. When Quantum of the Seas was launched RCI introduced what they termed the 'Wow Bracelet' which was in the form of a watch. The 'Medallion' appears to be an advancement of that. The advantage of the 'Wow Bracelet' is that it can be used over and over again where as the 'Medallion' at this stage is only good for one voyage. Another advantage of these items is they can't be de-magnatized as cards can. 

Certainly doing the paperwork and supplying your details before leaving home makes a huge difference to the boarding time. No waiting or hanging around, just have the bar code checked by a person in the reception, through security and onto the ship. My last trip with RCI on Ovation the boarding took 11 minutes from arrival at the terminal to the cabin. If only others could be that fast. Surely the days of arrival at terminal and being issued with a lettered card, waiting to be called, going to check-in desk, having photo taken, boarding card issued etc. are in the past. 

3 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

I would certainly confirm the speed with which you can board. When Quantum of the Seas was launched RCI introduced what they termed the 'Wow Bracelet' which was in the form of a watch. The 'Medallion' appears to be an advancement of that. The advantage of the 'Wow Bracelet' is that it can be used over and over again where as the 'Medallion' at this stage is only good for one voyage. Another advantage of these items is they can't be de-magnatized as cards can. 

Certainly doing the paperwork and supplying your details before leaving home makes a huge difference to the boarding time. No waiting or hanging around, just have the bar code checked by a person in the reception, through security and onto the ship. My last trip with RCI on Ovation the boarding took 11 minutes from arrival at the terminal to the cabin. If only others could be that fast. Surely the days of arrival at terminal and being issued with a lettered card, waiting to be called, going to check-in desk, having photo taken, boarding card issued etc. are in the past. 

I hope P&O  introduce it ,worst of all boarding processes I have been through ?

Even there request to arrive at your allotted time caused issues  .

As we normally travel by coach the masses have gone (Unless the Computers break) and we walk straight through with little delays....Davybe 

I think this type of practice will become the norm soon on board most cruise lines. Smart technology is always evolving. It gives the cruise line greater control over accounting for passengers on board and prevents such issues as lost key cards among many more positives. I agree it is a little Big Brother like but I think it will be rolled out across most fleets sooner or later.

most cruise lines are going this way , keeps a record of your visit to every point of the ship , you spend habits , passenger room visits , 

good idea no more demagnetised room keys