Sign in to follow this  
sammy sun

Do you always play it safe with your cabin choice?

Interested to see fellow members' thoughts on this. 

Do you, like me, spend ages looking for the perfect cabin choice when booking your cruise? I used to think I was getting much better at just "going with the flow" but who am I kidding? I'm definitely not. I still like to know exactly where I'm going to be and enjoy having a flick through the brochure to decide, especially when it comes to trying a new ship.

By play it safe, I mean sticking to what you know. I have a certain criteria in mind that usually revolves around a balcony, mid-aft or aft if needs be and ideally portside but what if the right cruise came along with only cabins available away from your comfort zone? Would you go for it? I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't bother me as it would. I'm sure I'd come around to the idea but it would take me time to be certain. 

How about you? Do you play it safe, always looking for the same cabin? Or do you mix it up and decide based on the cruise you're booking? 

Our 1st cruise on Oriana we picked a cabin but it wasn't available so we chose another. We had no idea which were good cabins & which weren't so it was pure luck that the 2nd choice was so good for us that we booked the same one for the next 2 cruises. The original one we had wanted would not have been as good because it was at the rear & Oriana does vibrate at the stern. We were upgraded on the 4th cruise from ' our ' cabin but only a few cabins away on the same deck. Having been forced out of our comfort zone we booked the next one on a completely different deck & loved it. Unless you've been on a ship before you can't be sure if you're getting a good one or not. If a cruise came up that I really wanted to do I wouldn't mind where on the ship I was but I couldn't have an inside cabin under any circumstances as I need to be able to see outside - the 1st thing I do when I get back to the cabin at night is open the curtains & I never draw the bedroom curtains at home(we're not overlooked!).

Just love this one, sammy sun! I have a sneaky feeling we have the same personality. I'm afraid, until recently, I only book on 2 ships - Aurora and Oriana. If you speak to my favourite member if staff at Bolsover (yes, I only go through one)  she will tell you my perferance is not only Aurora but a particular cabin. Past 6 cruises in the same balcony cabin. For information mid/aft and portside! Now you can start to see the resemblance to your requirements. Sitting is always the same 8:30 and a table for 8, near a window. If my wonderful Bolsover staff member us reading this she will probably know who it is! 😊 

This year I have gone wild and booked Adonia for next year. As it us a first I have has to live dangerously and pick a new cabin. So I am keeping my fingers crossed I have picked a good one.

If the price is right don't care where the stateroom is and we have had superior deluxe on Azura through to an inside which we have had on majority of our cruises as we don't spend a lot of time in the stateroom. Later this year for a special wedding anniversary we have booked a suite with Cunard so that will hopefully be very good but is only a one off so will not spoil me not to book inside in the future.

Hi Sammy Sun,

We usually select our cabin on the basis of itinerary and likelihood of sunshine.

Thus, if we are cruising East to West (Northern Hemisphere) we will select Port side to maximise the sunshine.  Obviously, the reverse would apply if West to East,  or Southern Hemisphere.

When the views from our balcony are crucial (e.g. Norwegian Fjiords), we will go for the stern, for all round aspect.

In addition, after a formative experience some years ago, we are always careful to avoid a cabin below areas likely to create noise (e.g. gymnasium, pool deck, etc.).

Not fussy at all, really!! :lol:

DavidH

I try for Cabins near the lifts ,not to bothered where they are but do check whats around our cabin ,above and below.

Once ended up over stage that had latenight music playing ? good job I enjoyed the music.

Depending on where we are going then Port Or Starboard may come into the equation....Davybe 

I'm not really bothered as have had cabins in all locations, previous worries of stairs lifts engines an sea conditions have never been realised so its more down to the ship & location, the only thing that I would prefer against is being under/over the theatre on an old ship but most of the time I'm not in the cabin anyway

Hi Sammy Sun,  I always go Mid Balcony, in a NON adjoining cabin having made sure no working areas are above or below or even across, having once being caught out by a bottle crusher (2am every single night).  For a cruise I really want to do I will stretch to approx. 4 doors either side aft/fwd but wont go guaranteed (that is a deal breaker).

Will have to give more thought in future though to where the sun will be as I do love a good sunset.

Hi   I don't really have any preference on the position of my cabin, I rarely use it other than for sleeping, washing and changing.   I decide only on the type of cabin I select and this is usually governed by the cost. 

I prefer aft over forward if I have a choice but would still book a guarentee and wouldnt be too fussed. My mum is a nervous sailor and being low down mid ship is essential, in her mind thats safer :/

Whilst I like to choose my cabin, usuallly near to the rear, obviously if it's a late deal you don't get any choice and I have had some bad locations. The worst place i would want to be is right at the top at the front of the ship. Too bouncy up there..

We have always gone for a mid ship balcony cabin but for our cruise in August on Independence we have booked one of the balcony cabins over the aft arrh (slightly concerned) hope we have done the right thing. The cabin looks alright really and has 2 lounges and 2 chairs and a table (had a look at the cabin on youtube) just that its right at the back which concerns me a tad but my husband has wanted to try this for sometime. so fingers crossed we have a smooth sailing

Thanks for all the replies folks. It's interesting to see a diverse range of answers to my question. I always strive to be more adventurous but can never resist the temptation to stay within my preferred locations. All I need is a really good offer to come along and entice me into it. Over to you Bolsover :)

We have been on Arcadia about 8 times over the last few years and since they added the cabins on the sun deck I would not go anywhere else. They are the best located ones we have ever had. Close to the crows nest no long corridors to walk down,  and one deck down to the pool, and no  we do not get noise from the crows nest. There are a couple of other reasons why we like them. But you need to find that out for yourselves if I told you you would all want one. My secret!  Even being high up we have not found the movement any worse than being on E deck.

I always have a plan of the ship to look at when booking our cabin which will be a balcony mid to back of ship and staterooms above and below.

Just on one occasion a couple of years ago I was struggling to get an accessible stateroom so we could take a relative with us.

The only one we could get was a forward J.S. We accepted that but I was concerned I might get squiffy so took a pill each night - just in case ----

We prefer a deck with cabins above and below, but if the deal is good enough, usually last minute, on an itinerary we really want to do, we will compromise.  A balcony is preferable, but on a port intensive cruise we will take inside, especially if the weather is unlikely to be warm.  We have occasionally taken guarantees if there is a significant saving and have not had a really bad experience with them.

I like looking for cabins above and below too. It wouldn't bother me too much if not but given the choice, that's the first thing I'd look for. Always makes me think the noise levels will be better. I never worry about being close to elevators though. That's one thing that a lot of people warned me of before my first cruise but we found it fine. There was minimal noise and it was nice being close to them for ease of getting around the ship.

Lifts have never bothered me either. One of my best cabins was on Ventura. It was about three cabins away from the lift area at the back of the ship, which meant we were in the ideal place for heading up to the buffet each morning for breakfast. It also worked out as we liked the aft pool on Ventura too so again this was handy from our cabin. That pool was no way near as busy as the mid-ship pools so we would head there on sea days.