Davybe

Big ship's or Little ship's

My preference is for what are now mid size ship's QE ,Eclipse plenty of space and a fair bit to do.

Not to keen to try the older smaller ship's mainly due to them not having many facilities.

Never tried the "Resort ship's" but would give them a try mainly out of curiosity just to see the facilities.Roller and Ice skating ? Dodgem car's even an Aqua show .

Cesilie Carlton, a 35-year-old American high diver, is first seen limbering up atop the 55-ft high platform

Could you ever imagine seeing this on a ship.

Have You Any preferences....Davybe

Hi  There is no right or wrong answer to this question, it all depends upon what you expect form your cruise experience.  If you wish to have  24/7 activities then a mega ship with loads of facilities will tick all of the right boxes.  On a personal level I prefer small ships, I wish to enjoy good dining and service and have a relaxed holiday and do not need constant stimulation.

I have been on very large ships and very small and both have their plus and minus points, smaller ships offer you the chance to really get to know the staff and they get to know you and I found you meet the same passengers all the time and got to know each other much better than you do on larger ships. The down side is there are not as many places on-board to choose to spend your time. Larger ships have far more choice of activities and places to hang out in but they are less intimate.

As long as there is always both sizes to choose from I shall be happy.

Hi Daveybe,

I'm quite happy to use the mid size ships to which you refer, if they are offering an itinerary in which I am interested.

However, I am unlikely to ever set foot on the Leviathan of the Seas variety.

Give me the Azamara sized ships any day.  Excellent entertainment and terrific on board atmosphere created by an enthusiastic and attentive crew led from the front by engaging officers.

DavidH

20 hours ago, Land Ahoy said:

Hi  There is no right or wrong answer to this question, it all depends upon what you expect form your cruise experience.  If you wish to have  24/7 activities then a mega ship with loads of facilities will tick all of the right boxes.  On a personal level I prefer small ships, I wish to enjoy good dining and service and have a relaxed holiday and do not need constant stimulation.

Morning LA.

You're Quite right no right or wrong answer ,just personal choice.

I have found in our case as we have got older we prefer the known not the unknown ,staying in our comfort zone .Do not fancy these new ship's that require tablets or I phones to access show's or book meals  ,not what I want at all .Still plenty of choices out there....Davybe

Personally I prefer midsize ships. It's all very well having numerous activities to do but not many take into account the implications should an accident occur. For instance zip lining, I enquired about it when in the West Indies with my insurance company and was told that no one insures you for it on holiday insurance so if you have an accident on a ship you wouldn't be insured. I know that ships have passenger safety in mind but no one can take into account how passengers behave. Not wanting to be a killjoy but big isn't always better. 

I am happy on any ship! Just love being at sea!

I have enjoyed cruises on both Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - loads to do, lots of places to eat, lots going on, but couldnt get a deckchair on sea days for love nor money

and Fred Olsens Breamar - loads of deck space, food was really good, staff really lovely, did not get bored but a lot more relaxed holiday

Out of all the comments on this thread, I agree with Furby's comment the most. I too just love being at sea. There is something so special and relaxing about standing on your balcony looking down at the ocean. It's a peaceful experience and I've yet to find a land based holiday that can live up to that.  For me it doesn't matter whether I'm on a large or small ship, as long as I have that personal space to enjoy from time to time. I do inevitably have my preferences though, as we all do.

I think there are pros and cons to both styles of cruising. Larger ships offer a wider range of entertainment/dining venues, therefore giving passengers more diversity and choice. Smaller ships tend to be more intimate, often offering a more personalised service due to the guest to passenger ratio. Gun to my head, I would probably agree with a few others in choosing mid-size ships as my ideal preference as I think they balance the personalised touch with range of choice pretty well.

MYpreference is to the smaller ship but I loved this photo having been lucky enough to travel on Allure of the Seas and watching the Aqua show you realise how daring the artisits are diving into such a small pool & from such a great height

Speaking of ship sizes, it doesn't seem like cruise lines will slow down anytime soon when it comes to going big. I've just seen in the news today that NCL have ordered four new ships for 2022, 2023. 2024 and 2025. Apparently they've even got an option for two more on hold should they wish to use it. They're not going crazy and trying to topple Royal Caribbean's Harmony of the Seas title as the world's biggest ship but nevertheless they are a decent size and another sign of how the industry continues to go in that direction. It's been a while since a mainstream cruise line has announced a new build that wasn't over the 100,000 tonne mark.

It goes to show how the cruise world is changing. As I said a couple of years ago, at which time few believed me, cruising would become a holiday for the masses and it is coming true. According to the trade news the USA has hit it's peak but Europe, China and Australia are fast growing markets thus the need for more large ships to accommodate the numbers.

I agree with you OWT. It is a section of the travel industry that will continue to grow and grow as it appeals to the masses, rapidly expanding from its roots as a niche product on the travel agent's shelf. in one way I'm extremely happy that this is the case because it means more people get to experience and appreciate the type of holiday that I fell in love with many years ago. On the other hand, however, as much as I love that the market continues to grow, I'd love to see a more diverse range of ships entering the market. Obviously it's good business sense from cruise lines such as NCL for example to create a design they and they're potential passengers are happy with then replicate it to produce several ships in a class. I understand that from a business perspective as they're effectively running them off a very expensive production line in order to meet the demands of the growing interest around the world, but it would still be nice to see some variation in what cruise lines are coming up with.

I love the innovation of Royal Caribbean and NCL. I think they push others to raise their game but sometimes I'd like it to be more about the dining and destination experience than how big the next waterslide can be. My only positive is that there are a wide range of cruise lines to choose from and that's because of the increasing popularity of this type of holiday, so I'll always have my old faithfuls to enjoy when I want a little more refinement but it would just sometimes be nice to see something new that wasn't just focused around an initial novelty factor.

Having sampled the biggest cruise ship (Royal Caribbean's Harmony of the Seas) and one of the smallest (Fred Olsen's Braemar) in 2016, these are a few pros and cons:  Harmony had a "wow" factor almost everywhere we went on the ship, with plenty of entertainment for families and teenagers - zip-wire, surfing, tube slides descending several decks, rock climbing, crazy golf, an open "street" down the centre of the centre of the ship with trees and plants, with an enclosed shopping street below with cafes, bars etc., a robot bar, a show on ice, etc. Only the Americans could class "Johnny Rockets" (a place for burger and chips) as a special dining venue with a surcharge to pay (compare that with say P & O's select dining venues where you might be quite happy to pay a surcharge!). All very well, but we did not use many of these facilities as (a) many are only likely to appeal to the passengers under say 40 and (b) are more suited to warmer climes than the North Sea in May! Great for families with teenagers in the Caribbean though! And would you really want an inside balcony that overlooks the street but faces balconies opposite with no view of the sea? We cruised at approx 8 knots on the shake-down cruise to Rotterdam, and not only did you have no sensation of being on a ship, but you felt more like being in a shopping Mall! However, I'm glad I sampled Harmony as it was an amazing experience!

Our next cruise couldn't have been more different, on Braemar, which seemed a lot older and tiny in comparison! However, we were hugely impressed at how friendly and helpful the Phillipino staff were, you quickly got to know other passengers, there was a traditional promenade deck to walk right around the ship (including right to the very front of the bow!), the drinks package at £10 pp/day was extremely reasonable (so you didn't feel that it was a money-making machine like Harmony) and the real attraction for us was that we went into some lovely small German ports and transited the Kiel Canal, whereas Harmony is very restricted as to where she can go. 

So our conclusion was, Harmony and her two sister ships are well worth sampling for the "wow" factor, or if you are prepared to accept such ships as a resort in their own right, and are not particularly interested in where you go, but it is not an experience we would repeat. We like cruising to see new places, so small to medium sized ships are what suits us! I particularly like ships with traditional promenade decks, something which is sadly disappearing, to be replaced with a small walking circuit track on deck 16.

On ‎07‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:38 AM, DavidH said:

Hi Daveybe,

I'm quite happy to use the mid size ships to which you refer, if they are offering an itinerary in which I am interested.

However, I am unlikely to ever set foot on the Leviathan of the Seas variety.

Give me the Azamara sized ships any day.  Excellent entertainment and terrific on board atmosphere created by an enthusiastic and attentive crew led from the front by engaging officers.

Beautifully put, DavidH.

100% agree.

It's horses for courses, of course, and 'Praise Be' for that, else few of us would ever get on at all??

I was really sorry to see the 'All Leisure Group' go under recently, and likewise sad to see the 'Portuscale' group similarly fail, a while back, after such a brave and seemingly expensive attempt to rescue some really beautiful old ships, such as MV Funchal. Lacking in 'big ship' facilities nowadays maybe, but being on such an elegant vessel in itself, was an experience more than worth the ride.  Fabulous ship!

I've always been definitely more into the 'ships' themselves, than however big and ugly they can build them. That really doesn't float my cruising boat, at all. I've never been loyalty drawn by ship name or cruise line alone. Wherever we decide or think we might want to go next, if there's a ship visiting that region, within our time frame, that we haven't been on before, that will most likely be the ship that receives our first and fullest attention. An older ship? and that would always be the one to go to the very top of the list. We really need to cherish these ships whilst we have them 

We are all perhaps lucky, that with such an abundance of choice, seemingly there is always something for everyone.

Edited by HALaP&O
typo!

18 hours ago, HALaP&O said:

Beautifully put, DavidH.

100% agree.

It's horses for courses, of course, and 'Praise Be' for that, else few of us would ever get on at all??

I was really sorry to see the 'All Leisure Group' go under recently, and likewise sad to see the 'Portuscale' group similarly fail, a while back, after such a brave and seemingly expensive attempt to rescue some really beautiful old ships, such as MV Funchal. Lacking in 'big ship' facilities nowadays maybe, but being on such an elegant vessel in itself, was an experience more than worth the ride.  Fabulous ship!

I've always been definitely more into the 'ships' themselves, than however big and ugly they can build them. That really doesn't float my cruising boat, at all. I've never been loyalty drawn by ship name or cruise line alone. Wherever we decide or think we might want to go next, if there's a ship visiting that region, within our time frame, that we haven't been on before, that will most likely be the ship that receives our first and fullest attention. An older ship? and that would always be the one to go to the very top of the list. We really need to cherish these ships whilst we have them 

We are all perhaps lucky, that with such an abundance of choice, seemingly there is always something for everyone.

It's the last point you made that I agree with most. We're extremely fortunate that we are looking to cruise in an age where there are so many ships and cruise lines that each individuals tastes can be met. 

Agree totally with most of the comments. For myself, although it was the traditional  now "old style" of cruise ships such as Canberra,  Cunards Queens etc that hooked me to cruising it is the call of the sea that I can not resist and it is the sailing to distant places that is almost as important to me as the places themselves. If I can make that journey in a luxurious way with good food, like minded people, good entertainment, 5star service and a few "Black Tie" events then I am content. It is very important now with such a choice of ships that you pick the right ship for your expectations as cruise holidays have dramatically changed, maybe not for the better, but offer me a free cruise and there are only a few I'd refuse!!!