Guy Jibson

Bordeaux cruise port

When we docked at Le Verdon sur Mer with P&O Oriana (OK, it was 2010 so things will probably have changed) our shuttle bus took us to Soulac sur Mer which has to be one of the loveliest places we have been to - very simple, but the weather was glorious and the beach is amazing.   It didn't seem that far to travel - I've just googled and it's less than 5 miles.   I know what I would do if it were me.    Coincidentally, we are off to Bordeaux itself with Fred Olsen in April - should be lovely sailing down the river.

Hi Guy Jibson

we're going to Bordeaux with Princess in June and have booked the Bordeaux trip.  We've not been to Bordeaux before so are looking forward to the chateaux and wine tasting.

Never been here before, but after a quick google I can see that there are two beaches here, both have been awarded the Blue Flag award for cleanliness and facilities. Alternatively, you could take a leisurely stroll around the town itself and opt to visit the 19th century Church of Notre-Dame du Bon Secours et de Saint-Louis or take a boat trip to the 16th century Phare de Cordouan.

On 2/8/2017 at 1:51 PM, Mayway said:

When we docked at Le Verdon sur Mer with P&O Oriana (OK, it was 2010 so things will probably have changed) our shuttle bus took us to Soulac sur Mer which has to be one of the loveliest places we have been to - very simple, but the weather was glorious and the beach is amazing.   It didn't seem that far to travel - I've just googled and it's less than 5 miles.   I know what I would do if it were me.    Coincidentally, we are off to Bordeaux itself with Fred Olsen in April - should be lovely sailing down the river.

Yes was lovely sailing down the river we did that last year with Fred enjoyu

On 2/8/2017 at 1:51 PM, Mayway said:

...Coincidentally, we are off to Bordeaux itself with Fred Olsen in April - should be lovely sailing down the river.

I sailed into Bordeaux two or three years ago aboard the lovely little MV Funchal (10,000 tonnes and about 300 pax on board).  It was a damp, misty day so the sail down the river wasn't great but coming alongside right in the heart of the town was fabulous.