Sign in to follow this  
samfox01

How much is that lifeboat in the window?

Gosh, so I have just come back off a Caribbean cruise and wanted to get off my chest the experience I have had. Myself and my husband met quite a few couples that droned on about not ever would they book an obstructed view cabin.  We booked in an obstructed cabin with our agent Bolsover Cruise Club and were so grateful for the advice we received from, the lady gave us the price difference between an Obstructed view and a Clearview, I think it was a difference of about £150pp!! :mellow: which is quite a lot, well we thought so anyway!

After some sound advice, the lady advised us to have a look at the deck plan to where to obstructed view cabins were, and if we were lucky, we may be able to get one that just fell in-between the lifeboats. She even asked the cruise line for an actual image so we can actually see what the view would be!

After speaking to some of the couples we met on the ship, it started to aggravate us that the obstructed view cabins were getting some hammer, my husband actually said how lovely they actually were and the size of the cabins and the inside were no different to any other cabin, and if booking with a good agent who knows what they are talking about will get you a good obstructed view cabin.

Basically, don't let people sometimes put you off. If it arises in the future of you booking an obstructed view cabin and there is such a massive price difference. Get your agent, or even call Bolsover as they will get as much information that you need to make you feel at ease.:)

1 hour ago, Davybe said:

Just shows what a good agent can do for you....Davybe

Completely agree Davybe, if you book with someone who knows what they're doing it makes all the difference. 

Really glad your experience was a good one samfox. The price difference you said is a big gap and so I don't blame you one bit for opting for the obstructed view. I understand that on Britannia as well as certain other ships these days that obstructed view balconies have to be described that way even though there isn't actually an obstruction, it's only when you look down that you can see a lifeboat instead of directly being able to view the sea beneath you. To me that is worth saving a considerable amount of money when compared to clear view pricing. Good for you :)

A few Years agowe and the BIL booked through Bolsover a Guaranteed cabin on Azura, we got a  belter on D deck near the lifts, My Bil got allocated a bad one with a steel enclosed balcony, The GIrl from Bolsover rang them up saying"we have just seen the Cabin they allocated " they suggested he paid another £32 and upgrade to another cabin.Good service I thought  ,putting there customers first...Bavybe

This is a good topic and incidentally coincides pretty well with one of my original concerns from booking a guarantee fare which I questioned earlier this week. I like that P&O have added a feature to their website where you can see the view from cabins to determine what the obstuction percentage is like. I would book one if there was still plenty of natural light coming through and if the price difference is as significant as samfox experienced then it makes a big difference. That's £300 extra to spend on board or money to go towards travel to/from Southampton perhaps or possibly towards an extended stay somewhere before or after your cruise.

We would always consider an obstructed cabin, most of the time cheaper, in good positions and we dont spend a lot of time in the cabin. our last 3 cruises have bbeen in obstructed view cabins

I do like to spend time in the cabin so I think that has been at the forefront of my mind in the past. I would do it though now, especially with those balcony cabins like others have mentioned.

My friends have just booked Britannia 25 November. Their is 3 of them, (2 adults & 1 child). They said they priced Clearview Balcony and Obstructed, and the difference was £700. I told them to see if they could get a photo of the obstruction, and its literally the top of a lifeboat stuck in front of their balcony, so it's not obstructing their view once stood up. Only if they were to look down! I just encourage people to not let the word 'Obstructed put you off!'

We have had obstructed cabins several times, but we investigate thoroughly before booking.  The so called 'sweet sixteen' cabins on Celebrity M class are priced as partially obstructed, but actually have larger than average balconies with no apparent obstruction.  Other obstructed balconies just restrict the view straight down to the water, the outward view is fine.  I don't think I would choose a balcony where there was no view looking straight ahead, unless there was a really significant saving and the cruise was very port intensive so we wouldn't be using the balcony much.

Sheila

hi i have just booked our first cruise for october  the lady that sold me the cruise upgraded us to a balcony cabin with an obstructed view but told me the obstruction is the lifeboat underneath our balcony which sounds ok to me  do i have any way to check if this is what we have before we go  ?

3 hours ago, janiemac said:

hi i have just booked our first cruise for october  the lady that sold me the cruise upgraded us to a balcony cabin with an obstructed view but told me the obstruction is the lifeboat underneath our balcony which sounds ok to me  do i have any way to check if this is what we have before we go  ?

Which ship are you on?  You can google the ship and cabin number and will often find reviews or pictures of the actual cabin.  Some cruise forums have spread sheets with details of cabins provided by cruisers who have stayed in them.  

Sheila