Guy Jibson

Opting out of auto tipping

Going on our first cruise in May on Crown Princess. I already have quite a lot of $10 notes, which I would like to use to hand over for service given. I would like to know where I go to stop the taking of $27 a day, from I assume my online account. Ideally on my first day I don't want to spend ages at a desk waiting to be attended to.

Thank you

1 minute ago, Guy Jibson said:

Going on our first cruise in May on Crown Princess. I already have quite a lot of $10 notes, which I would like to use to hand over for service given. I would like to know where I go to stop the taking of $27 a day, from I assume my online account. Ideally on my first day I don't want to spend ages at a desk waiting to be attended to.

Thank you

you can go to reception at any time to take them off, just pop in when passing if there isnt a queue

Edited by Furby

Welcome to the forum Guy. Furby is right, you can just pop over to the reception desk anytime during your cruise and advise them that you prefer to do it that way and they will take care of it for you. I wouldn't worry about getting it done asap as there's usually an on-rush to the reception desk on the first day so take your time, relax and then get to it when you can. Most importantly, enjoy your first cruise. I hope you have a lovely time. 

On our last Princess cruise in August 2016 when I tried to remove my gratuities at the beginning of the cruise they said I couldn't do it until 2-3 days before the end of the cruise. I do not know whether this was ship policy or a new Princess policy but I imagine they were hoping that you don't intend to pay in cash direct to staff like we do, but not pay anything at all and you would either forget to remove the gratuities later in the cruise or you thought that the service was that good you would leave it on.

As the government is looking into added on tips (service charge) for restaurants and hotels will they look at ships operating out of British ports?

I always go to the purses desk and get this so called tipping removed. I tip for good service and not for doing you job. I used to work in the service industry and never got a penny of the service charge. I think it is a way to reduce overheads for the company. We pay enough for the cruise, we are not there to help out with the crews wages. 

Yes I`d love to see inclusive prices too and tips done away with. Some may say we pay enough for the cruise but if we were paying properly to cover the wage gap between staff wages and wages + tip you`d see a difference in costs. It annoys me that those with a conscience pay tips and others don`t!

13 hours ago, jinky said:

Yes I`d love to see inclusive prices too and tips done away with. Some may say we pay enough for the cruise but if we were paying properly to cover the wage gap between staff wages and wages + tip you`d see a difference in costs. It annoys me that those with a conscience pay tips and others don`t!

My conscience was more than clear when I removed gratuities on my last P&O cruise, one particular incident made the decision for me.

What annoys me is people who assume others haven't paid their gratuities, how could they possibly know? Unless they ask of course, but why would someone do that and what business of theirs is it anyway?

HLM.

Edited by HLM

5 hours ago, HLM said:

My conscience was more than clear when I removed gratuities on my last P&O cruise, one particular incident made the decision for me.

What annoys me is people who assume others haven't paid their gratuities, how could they possibly know? Unless they ask of course, but why would someone do that and what business of theirs is it anyway?

HLM.

The ones who annoy me are those who seem proud to tell all and sundry that they have removed their gratuities.  They are entitled to do it, but why broadcast it as if they are encouraging others to do the same.

Sheila

If people get poor service justifying removal / reduction fair do`s but like Sheila I meant the ones who stand there , having just got on board proudly telling all what they are doing and urging others to do the same which I witnessed on the cruise before last. They hadn`t even experienced service on board! There was also the couple challenged in front of me as to there being any particular failing in service prompting them to remove theirs to enable feedback. Their reply " Our cabin boy only said good morning to us on 3 days and seemed too busy to seek us out on others". :-0. I wonder what was said to the cabin attendant.

Edited by jinky

One woman told us she cancelled her tips and bought a watch with the money,saying "I got the Virus on this ship so I cancelled my tips"

She got her medical treatment for nothing and someone had to clean up after her,she had no complaints about the food and service ....Davybe 

As they sat "nowt so queer as folk" 

49 minutes ago, jinky said:

If people get poor service justifying removal / reduction fair do`s but like Sheila I meant the ones who stand there , having just got on board proudly telling all what they are doing and urging others to do the same which I witnessed on the cruise before last. They hadn`t even experienced service on board! There was also the couple challenged in front of me as to there being any particular failing in service prompting them to remove theirs to enable feedback. Their reply " Our cabin boy only said good morning to us on 3 days and seemed too busy to seek us out on others". :-0. I wonder what was said to the cabin attendant.

I certainly don't condone those who remove gratuities for the sake of it, but if they like me have genuine reasons to do so then that's different, the one thing I won't do is discuss my reasons with others, as far as I'm concerned that's between me and the cruiseline and no one else.

HLM.

What I have to ask these hotel charge removers is diy you enjoy your food, the cleanliness of the public areas, the pool and hot tubs and all the tasks performed other than your cabin steward and the waiters at you table. Someone has to work hard on ALL the things that go to make your holiday memorable. Regular cruisers usually accept that service charges are a way of life onboard and contribute to tips that are shared by all the crew.

Did anyone see Simon Calder (travel reporter) reporting on BBC news about tips/gratuities/service charges on cruise lines. Even he was saying that on some cruise lines it is now approximately £25  a day for a couple and up to 18% charge on drinks that you are forced to pay which can mean for a 14 nt cruise you could be paying £400+ just in tips/gratuities/service charges and he did mention that they could be removed or reduced and did mention NCL who you are supposed to be unable to remove/reduce your tips/gratuities/service charge and he had been in contact with them and they had admitted that they cannot refuse to reduce them and you can do that onboard. One thing he did say was that he was not against paying these charges but he didn't understand why anyone would pay pre cruise or having them added to your onboard account from day one without knowing whether you have received or will receive good service which after all is what the payment supposed to be for and what he did say is he removes them and then pays them at the end of his holiday which is favoured and the way British people prefer to pay them. Finally he did say that after he had said this same thing earlier in the programme he had received "tweets" from people in the UK saying he was "short changing" and "stiffing" the staff of their wages.

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, sinbad10 said:

On our last Princess cruise in August 2016 when I tried to remove my gratuities at the beginning of the cruise they said I couldn't do it until 2-3 days before the end of the cruise. I do not know whether this was ship policy or a new Princess policy but I imagine they were hoping that you don't intend to pay in cash direct to staff like we do, but not pay anything at all and you would either forget to remove the gratuities later in the cruise or you thought that the service was that good you would leave it on.

Respectfully, I think it all comes down to which cruise line you are using at the time. They all have their own systems...

We use HAL  quite a bit, and their policy is that the 'Hotel Charge' (as they choose to call it), can only be removed on the penultimate (second last) day of the cruise.

We've never felt inclined (well maybe once, but still didn't ?) to 'pull' a service charge,  ever! However with all these new increases, regretfully all those USD$ 20 dollars notes as an additional "Thank You" to the 'Special ones', are likely now going to be a thing of the past.

I hope the cruise lines, and likewise the cruising skinflints, feel equally proud of themselves.

Meanwhile all inclusive cruising aka Silversea or Azamara, begin to look the better option once again, unless the Big Corporate brands and companies wake up to their responsibilities. By paying them something like a decent WORLD wage nowadays, commensurate with their company expected responsibilities, and please, let the otherwise hero's and heroine's of our cruising encounters, enjoy the personal fruits of their own well deserved, efforts, rewards and successes, completely respected and unchallenged! 

8 minutes ago, HALaP&O said:

Respectfully, I think it all comes down to which cruise line you are using at the time. They all have their own systems...

We use HAL  quite a bit, and their policy is that the 'Hotel Charge' (as they choose to call it), can only be removed on the penultimate (second last) day of the cruise.

We've never felt inclined (well maybe once, but still didn't ?) to 'pull' a service charge,  ever! However with all these new increases, regretfully all those USD$ 20 dollars notes as an additional "Thank You" to the 'Special ones', are likely now going to be a thing of the past.

I hope the cruise lines, and likewise the cruising skinflints, feel equally proud of themselves.

Meanwhile all inclusive cruising aka Silversea or Azamara, begin to look the better option once again, unless the Big Corporate brands and companies wake up to their responsibilities. By paying them something like a decent WORLD wage nowadays, commensurate with their company expected responsibilities, and please, let the otherwise hero's and heroine's of our cruising encounters, enjoy the personal fruits of their own well deserved, efforts, rewards and successes, completely respected and unchallenged! 

Quite clearly, sinbad 10, 

I was in full flow whilst your later posting came in, and reflects the earlier post, than the latter. I also have massive respect for Simon Calder too.

And for every point of view, a counter one too! Interesting times!!

Krgds,

Edited by HALaP&O

The only problem that I have is that we have been to many hotels in all parts of the world and notoriously in most, if not all, the pay of hotel workers whether it be people that service your room, cook and serve your meals and drinks are not highly paid. I would never dream of paying £400+ at the end of a 14 nt holiday in tips/gratuities/hotel charge or whatever fancy name you want to call it and if my memory serves me right never paid a compulsory added charge on any drinks served in a hotel bar. Have always rewarded good service when deserved but I am now in the situation of loving cruising but find the cruise lines attitude towards these extra charges and the guilt trip that you are made to feel if you do reduce/withdraw them because you are denying staff a decent wage. More so when you see the huge profits being made by the likes of the major cruise companies i.e. Carnival and RCCL. I think the time has come for a major rethink and a move towards cruise companies paying the staff a decent standard of wage and if so increase the price of the cruise so that it is included and everybody pays it and then in the true meaning of the word when you get service over and above the normal that you give that person a reward which they are allowed to keep. The system of cruise staff having to hand over cash given directly and then only getting a full reward if the staff get above a level of gratitude in questionnaires set by cruise company is demeaning the true benefits of these extra charges.

9 hours ago, sinbad10 said:

Did anyone see Simon Calder (travel reporter) reporting on BBC news about tips/gratuities/service charges on cruise lines. Even he was saying that on some cruise lines it is now approximately £25  a day for a couple and up to 18% charge on drinks that you are forced to pay which can mean for a 14 nt cruise you could be paying £400+ just in tips/gratuities/service charges and he did mention that they could be removed or reduced and did mention NCL who you are supposed to be unable to remove/reduce your tips/gratuities/service charge and he had been in contact with them and they had admitted that they cannot refuse to reduce them and you can do that onboard. One thing he did say was that he was not against paying these charges but he didn't understand why anyone would pay pre cruise or having them added to your onboard account from day one without knowing whether you have received or will receive good service which after all is what the payment supposed to be for and what he did say is he removes them and then pays them at the end of his holiday which is favoured and the way British people prefer to pay them. Finally he did say that after he had said this same thing earlier in the programme he had received "tweets" from people in the UK saying he was "short changing" and "stiffing" the staff of their wages.

I saw him , for many years of cruising I have felt after talking to crew that we are all supporting the cruise lines wage bill. which is not what tipping is all about.

I have always tipped to those directly that have given good service & I feel happy that they get what they deserve that way

Hi Sinbad.

"Finally he did say that after he had said this same thing earlier in the programme he had received "tweets" from people in the UK saying he was "short changing" and "stiffing" the staff of their wages."

I know what Simon means, we have had such comments on this very forum, funnily enough I was called a "tightwad" for removing my gratuities after receiving poor service, ironically (as read on another forum) the same person who called me a "tightwad" has now cancelled a cruise because the gratuity and service charges are to high.:unsure:

I no longer pay autograts, I remove them at the first opportunity and pay individually I don't care what others think my money, my choice, I let the employer worry about the crews wages.

HLM.

Edited by HLM

It is a strange one because of doing nearly 30 cruises in the past with P&O we have only enquired about removing tips/gratuities at reception once. We were on Oriana and the cabin steward was very poor did not clean our room properly and at the end of the cruise went under bed to get suitcases and found dirty linen from every bed change for the whole cruise. Reception told me I could not remove tips just for cabin steward because the waiters  would then get less and suffer and they had been excellent. I then asked what if I removed all of my tips from auto and just paid waiters in cash to which her reply was that your cabin steward would still get some of the tips because the waiters would have to hand over whatever cash we gave them directly. She advised that the only answer was either to remove tips completely and have the waiters suffer or leave auto tips in place and make a formal complaint about the cabin steward which is what we did. I do not cruise with P&O any longer but these tend to remove auto gratuities and pay deserving staff directly with cash at the end of the cruise.

A gratuity or tip should not be enforced but left to the individual. It is for good service and not to pay wages. However these guys who work on ships know what their wage is when they sign contracts like we do... unless we work in the hospitality industry do we get tips for good work I would say not nor a bonus.

To include a tip in the price would not necessarily mean that wages would go up but would go into the pot of the cruise operator leaving them to decide if an individual deserved it and said individual would still want his cash in hand. So would we the cruiser be any better off having tips included then again I think not. They should remove auto tips all together and go back to the old system. Just my view.