RiverSong

TV Cruise Shows, Hit or Miss?

We’ve seen a few TV show pop up based on all things Cruising like #TheCruise which finishes tonight.  Did you know that straight after at 09:00 you can tune into Channel 5 latest instalment in this franchise  “Cruising With Jane McDonald”  the former Loose Woman with be sailing with the masses on board MSC Divina.  So do these show give you inspiration for your next trip, or have you reaching for the remote desperately looking to watch anything but another holiday show.

I have found The Cruise quite entertaining this time. I thought the first series was a bit over the top. I still think it focuses too much on certain things rather than giving a better representation of the overall cruise experience but it has been enjoyable.

Reaching for the remote in my case. I gave the Princess one a try first time around and just found it really tedious and painful to watch. It wasn't a good advert for cruising and having been with Princess myself and on that ship, I was disappointed with it. I won't be rushing to watch it anytime soon.

I enjoyed it as well. She has always struck me as someone who would be fun to spend time with & she certainly made the most of her time on that ship. Next weeks should be interesting although I'm not sure that a cruise with only 6 other passengers would suit me.

On 2/10/2017 at 5:00 PM, Davybe said:

Always enjoyed Mighty ships even watched the repeats, but the cruise just a load of tosh .

Really have high expectations for tonight's Jane Macdonalds show ....Davybe

Never seen Mighty Ships, is it good? Will have to set Sky to record it when it's on.

Didn't watch the new show with Jane Macdonald but may give it a go. From what I've read on here though so far, it seems as though the show was a bit repetitive and more about Jane herself than the development of the cruise industry, do I have that right?

I was hoping it was going to be more looking at how the world of cruising has changed over the years.

1 hour ago, sammy sun said:

Never seen Mighty Ships, is it good? Will have to set Sky to record it when it's on.

Didn't watch the new show with Jane Macdonald but may give it a go. From what I've read on here though so far, it seems as though the show was a bit repetitive and more about Jane herself than the development of the cruise industry, do I have that right?

I was hoping it was going to be more looking at how the world of cruising has changed over the years.

Hi SS

You can find Mighty ships on Quest TV  they sometimes repeat the old shows in an afternoon ,they are not all about cruise ships.

As for JM show yes it is about her quite a lot and they eating what you had just seen after every break?? My Memory is bad but not that bad....Davybe 

I have to admit I did watch ''Thecruise'' and found it really good, my partner and I are due to take a cruise in a couple of week, although I have cruised previously my partner hasn't, so the programme gave him a good insight as to what to expect!

21 hours ago, towny44 said:

I watched the cruise and found it quite good, but wanted to see more of the ship, although perhaps not the cleaning out of the black water holding tank!:o

Seems the format for this program ,Shouty Chef , some emergency ,and some one from the staff and entertainment  side .When it was first shown my Daughter said "Tell me it not like that"  It put her off cruising ?

She is taking her first cruise this year ,hope it goes well for her...Davybe

An interesting take on the Cruise show being an ex entertainer it was a great opportunity for her to re-live the different ports and experiences onboard. I must admit to watching Mighty Ships and enjoy the variety as no 2 ships are ever going to be the same.

I've heard a couple of great things about the new series of 'Cruising with Jane McDonald' and shall set a reminder to give this a watch on Friday. I will have to admit that I origianlly dismissed the show, but after speaking to a couple of people who have all said that it was a great watch and was great to see how Jane interacted with fellow cruisers i'll set a reminder to give this a watch on Friday.

On 11 February 2017 at 5:27 PM, cruise addict said:

It was more about sight seeing, which I enjoyed. Jane can certainly keep you interested for the hour. I will watch it for the next 3 weeks.

I agree, Jane certainly kept me interested with her no heirs and graces and bubbly attitude.

Good on her, I'll certainly be watching the rest of the series.

HLM.

yet to give the Jane Mac one a go. Seems to be mixed reviews on here about it but I'll give it a try when I get round to it. I thought it was a series of her on board one ship, I didn't realise she was doing multiple ships and different styles of cruising. That's more appealing to me rather than seeing her just on MSC every week. I wondered how they would fill a series based on that.

CJJW, I also thought that Jane was on board the same for the whole series, it wasn't until I read about it further online that I realised she was on multiple ships. Great way for us to see more than just the one style of cruising on one ship that is usually shown on these cruise tv shows.

Last Nights Jane McDonald was better than last weeks ,both interesting and funny.

She was on an ex trawler that had been converted to a small cruise ship,which only held 11 passengers ,sailing round Scotland.Nice moment when Jane sang Amazing Grace in Fingal's cave ,worth watching IMO ...Davybe

3 minutes ago, Davybe said:

Last Nights Jane McDonald was better than last weeks ,both interesting and funny.

She was on an ex trawler that had been converted to a small cruise ship,which only held 11 passengers ,sailing round Scotland.Nice moment when Jane sang Amazing Grace in Fingal's cave ,worth watching IMO ...Davybe

I agree Davybe, both funny and interesting.

I forgot what a lovely voice Jane has, Amazing Grace was lovely especially with the acoustics in the cave.

HLM.

As someone who has only done what is classed as mass market cruises, I really enjoyed the programme where Jane cruised on the tiny ship in the Hebrides. So much so that I looked it up on the Internet. However at £2140 each, I will have to stick with the bigger ships :mellow:

(with tongue firmly in cheek) .... I for one am delighted that so few have apparently watch Jayne McDonald on Cruise.  Having visited both the Inner and Outer Hebrides and then watched Jayne`s visit and her very emotional rendition of  `Mull of Kintyre` in Fingal`s Cave, Staffa, I was really afraid it might encourage hordes of Tourists to the area - perish the thought!  These quite unique islands are far too precious to be shared with anyone.