Sign in to follow this  
CJW

Do MSC switch cabins?

Hi,

I joined the forum last week to ask how guaranteed bookings work. At the time, my family and I were looking to all go away together and had narrowed it down to a few cruise lines that would suit the requirements of three generations. My daugther has now thrown MSC into the equation because of a video she had seen on Facebook I believe. It showed MSC's ships and then she watched the new programme on channel 5 with Jane Mcdonald and liked the look of the MSC ship on there too. That's prompted us to look at their itineraries, which would mean a fly cruise for us rather than sailing from Southampton. My worry is that one of my wife's friends told her this morning that MSC do not confirm your cabin at the time of booking, is that correct? Her friend told her that when they booked with MSC a few years ago their cabin was moved prior to them boarding and they were notified in the post of the change. Apparently it was in their terms and conditions. Does this actually happen or has she got it wrong? I get it with guarantee bookings but if you do book to go all together and choose nearby cabins then I would be annoyed having paid more to do that, if they decided to relocate one or both of us.

Hi,

I'm not aware of any cruise line that do this unless you have asked to be given a complimentary upgrade should one become available. I've travelled in a group before and we just asked to be taken off that list so as we remained in the cabins close by to each other. I don't know if they even offer you the choice these days. That was with P&O and they seem to have done away with complimentary upgrades unless you've booked on a guarantee and the cabin grade you selected isn't available.

I've had a look at the MSC website just now for you and it does say that early-bookers can confirm their cabin number at the time of booking as long as they book on the Fanatastica, Aurea or MSC Yacht Club tiers. So I presume if you don't book one of those then your cabin is on a guarantee and is just allocated by the cruise line. Maybe your wife's friend booked on that basis? Or perhaps that used to be the case and they have since changed their stance. If it was and they have changed their stance it's probably due to the amount of complaints they received!

This is one thing that puts me off MSC, the ships look amazing and have so much on board, but will all the different prices and offers its not always clear what is included, I am sure I read on one offer you dont even get the evening meal in the main dining room and have to go to the buffet.

With P&O and upgrades, they do still do this, when my friend last booked with Bolsover they asked if they would like to go on an upgrade list, it would mean they didnt have a choice in the upgraded cabin, or they could stay off that list and stay in the cabin chosen, this is only on a select fare or price where you get a choice of cabin.

This is something I was completely unaware of with MSC. I've been praising them lately for their innovation when it comes to ship design and cabins but to be able to move you at the drop of a hat without any prior notice seems very strange, and as for not being able to dine in the main dining room on one type of offer as Furby suggests, that seems crazy. I was unaware they had such different booking terms and conditions to most other cruise lines I've experienced before.

From the MSC website

A Passenger shall not have the right to exclusive occupancy of a cabin with two (2) or more berths unless he has paid supplement for exclusive occupation. The Carrier reserves the right to transfer the Passenger from one cabin to another and may adjust the fare accordingly. The Master or the Carrier may, if it becomes advisable or necessary, at any time transfer a Passenger from one berth to another.

On 2/20/2017 at 4:54 AM, Ikea Logistics said:

From the MSC website

A Passenger shall not have the right to exclusive occupancy of a cabin with two (2) or more berths unless he has paid supplement for exclusive occupation. The Carrier reserves the right to transfer the Passenger from one cabin to another and may adjust the fare accordingly. The Master or the Carrier may, if it becomes advisable or necessary, at any time transfer a Passenger from one berth to another.

The way I read this is that a solo passenger can be moved from a double cabin unless he has paid the extra cost for single occupancy.  It still sounds a bit odd, but doesn't sound as if they can move just anyone as they please.

Sheila