Sign in to follow this  
The Seven Seas

Royal Caribbean Is Adding Lifeguards To Every Ship

I was reading an article over the weekend announcing that Royal Caribbean are adding lifeguards to every ship in their fleet. I believe that the issue of lifeguards being on board cruise ships has been discussed on the forum before, and while I believe that parents/grandparents/guardians also need to play a duty of care by being watchful over their children at all times in the pool, it’s great to hear that RCI are adding trained lifeguards to help minimise the risk of incidents. The article also went on to say that at least one lifegaurd will be stationed at every pool during the opening hours and will be dressed in noticeably visible uniform. Below is the full roll-out schedule for when this will come into action

The full roll-out schedule

(subject to change)

Oasis of the Seas: February 26-March 5

Harmony of the Seas: March 7-11

Independence of the Seas: March 11-16

Anthem of the Seas: March 11-14

Liberty of the Seas: March 12-19

Freedom of the Seas: March 22-29

Allure of the Seas: March 23-26

Brilliance of the Seas: March 24-30

Quantum of the Seas: March 26-31

Ovation of the Seas: March 29-April 3

Navigator of the Seas: March 31-April 5

Serenade of the Seas: March 31-April 7

Jewel of the Seas: March 31-April 4

Rhapsody of the Seas: April 5-8

Majesty of the Seas: April 21-24

Empress of the Seas: April 24-29

Adventure of the Seas: April 26-29

Enchantment of the Seas: May 8-12

Grandeur of the Seas: May 13-18

Explorer of the Seas: May 15-26

Mariner of the Seas: May 26-June 4

Radiance of the Seas: May 28-June 6

Voyager of the Seas: June 5-12

Vision of the Seas: June 15-27

Probably not before time ,there have been a couple of drowning  on ships,and there was concern by some that ,it was the cruise lines were responsible,and putting a notice up that there was no lifeguard  o duty was not good enough...Davybe

Glad to hear it, hopefully other mainstream cruiselines will follow soon.

Not only will it improve safety, they may also stop a lot of the loutish behaviour more especially from teenagers who think they own the pool, don't get me wrong it's good to see them enjoying themselves, but quite often it goes beyond that.

HLM.

I think this is a good idea, just as long as it doesn't lead to parents thinking they can leave their children unsupervised at the pool.  One life guard is not enough to supervise behaviour on the pool deck and maintain safety in the water.

Sheila

15 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Am I missing something here. Yes, it's good news that RCI are going to have lifeguards on duty but what happened to parent responsibility. The days when parents kept a watch on their children to make sure they didn't come to harm or mis-behave.

According to one prominent American Ambulance chaser the cruise lines have a duty off care ? and can be held partly responsible for incidence that occur ?

I suppose that this will mean that unless a Lifeguard is on duty then all the pools will have to be closed off ...Davybe    

Yes parents should still have the responsibility of keeping a close on their children when they are in and playing around pool, but surely having a lifeguard on stand by should anything happen and assistance is needed urgently, give parents/guardians etc. a little more assurance. As smtcan has mentioned one lifeguard isn't enough to supervise the whole pool and parents still do need to take responsilbility for keeping an eye of their children.

1 hour ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Am I missing something here. Yes, it's good news that RCI are going to have lifeguards on duty but what happened to parent responsibility. The days when parents kept a watch on their children to make sure they didn't come to harm or mis-behave.

I totally agree that parents should always have overall responsibility for their children, but it only takes a few seconds for an accident to occur, parents can watch religiously but things still happen.

At least with a lifeguard on duty who is first aid trained it gives reassurance to parents should someone hurt themselves, just as we get on land based swimming pools.

HLM.

A sensible move I hope other companies will follow suite, I agree with previous comments that it is the parents responsibility but at least Royal are trying to improve passenger safety, when all said a life guard is there to help all passengers including someone who may take ill whilst in the pool.

I have a 2 year old daughter and never let her out of my sight, especially around swimming pools. Despite keeping an eye on her at all times, I still think it's a good move by Royal Caribbean to add lifeguards. If there is ever an accident it's always good to know that someone is there. We're always with our little girl but I'm sure this would be reassuring for all parents travelling with their children. 

I wholeheartedly agree with OWT's point that parents should always take responsibility for their children but as HLM said, accidents can occur no matter how cautious you are. Sadly not all parents keep a watchful eye on their children when on holiday so having a lifeguard there minimises risk and improves the overall safety on board.

I'm surprised most cruise lines don't do this already. Not just for the safety side of it but also for the bad publicity that would come there way if anything did happen. It mioght be a cynical way to look at it but surely they must be thinking the same.

An accident can happen in a blink of an eye, no matter how watchful you are. And yes as OWT has mentioned parents should have responsibility but like HLM, I agree that the addition of a lifeguard means that someone who is fully trained in first aid will always be on hand - during the pool opening hours of course.

I think this is such a positive step.

As a parent of 2 children who frequently travels on my own with them it is not always possible to watch both of them at once! The knowledge that someone is 'on hand' should the worst happen would give me a greater sense of security and allow me to relax a little more whilst on holiday!

6 minutes ago, Popsicle said:

I think this is such a positive step.

As a parent of 2 children who frequently travels on my own with them it is not always possible to watch both of them at once! The knowledge that someone is 'on hand' should the worst happen would give me a greater sense of security and allow me to relax a little more whilst on holiday!

My thoughts exactly Popsicle. I will always be with my little girl but if ever anything happened, it's comforting to know that there is someone there at all time keeping an eye on the pool area. I'm surprised it's taken this long.

I think it is a brilliant idea as it means we can happily fall asleep on the sun lounger or spend longer in the bar knowing that our little ones will ge safe. I wonder if the guard would be kind enough to keep a watch on our loungers while we go for a coffee or food as it really makes us mad to find someone has grabbed either the one in the sun or in the shade and we are left with only one. Infact, if we give him a towel last thing in the evening perhaps he/she would be good enough to reserve the best seats for us so that we do have have the chore of placing towels on the before breakfast.

It's not just children who have accidents, an adult could easily slip and hurt themselves by the pool or even in the pool and may need urgent assistance. Knowing that someone is on hand should there only be a handful of people by the pool, who could be sleeping or have gone to the bar, means that they have a little piece of mind.

I'm sure this would keep quite a few happy Captain Kidd should the lifeguard do this :lol:

Very good to see this. I will be cruising with my family this summer including our grandchildren. I'm all for anything that improves their safety so I applaud Royal Caribbean for taking this step. Hopefully other cruise lines will do the same.