Sign in to follow this  
sammy sun

Royal Caribbean Set To Recategorise All Staterooms

I have just read the Royal Caribbean Blog and saw that they plan to recategorise the all their staterooms, fleet-wide. They state "Royal Caribbean is making fleet wide updates to stateroom names and deck plan codes in an effort to simplify finding the right stateroom for all guests."

It's took us all years to get used to existing cruise line cabin categories and now we've got to learn all over again! :o

Here's an image from the blog of how they're planning to do it:

category-type-characteristics.jpg

When does this start? I'm looking at cruising with them in summer and after having my head stuck in a brochure for the past I don't know how many weeks, I don't need it to be anytime soon. Figuring out cruise lines cabin grades is like trying to learn the periodic table off by heart!

I think a lot of people will feel that way CJW although it does look like they are trying to simplify it.

My only comment would be that by using the alphabet system they seem to be applying, it makes travelling in a Z grade feel pretty rubbish, when in fact it isn't.

I think a lot of people will feel that way CJW although it does look like they are trying to simplify it.

My only comment would be that by using the alphabet system they seem to be applying, it makes travelling in a Z grade feel pretty rubbish, when in fact it isn't. Especially when they say at the bottom of the image - Earlier Letter = Better Stateroom Type

Probably it will work well for there bottom line ,every time a cruise line changes its cabin grading the overall effect is that some cabins become more expensive.

I have never looked at the cabin grade ,but do accept i will pay more for the location i want....Davybe  

I think Royal Caribbean are always looking to innovate and make changes. Whether or not these changes are always practical remains to be seen but what it does do is keep them in the headlines and keep them being talked about among potential customers. It's a minor change in the grand scheme of things, and it's at the perfect time given that they will roll it out over the new brochure launch for 2018 I'm sure. Perhaps it's just a clever way of getting people thinking and talking about Royal Caribbean at this busy time of year rather than their rivals.

Or to give the poor Travel Agents a headache and more to remember, I really do feel for them as they get used to a particular plan and then its all change, on top of trying to remember multiple companies  new ships , promotions and travel dates. There should be a Pointless edition dedicated to this!!!!!!

I always look at deck plans to book a cabin, rather than relying on picking a category.  As for category z passengers feeling rubbish, who besides you knows what category you are in.  Who even knows if you are in a balcony or an inside on most ships unless you tell them.

Sheila

4 minutes ago, smtcan said:

I always look at deck plans to book a cabin, rather than relying on picking a category.  As for category z passengers feeling rubbish, who besides you knows what category you are in.  Who even knows if you are in a balcony or an inside on most ships unless you tell them.

Sheila

I take your point Sheila and I partly agree with you. That applies well to those that have cruised before but if you're new to cruise and you have a budget to stick to and you open up a brochure and see that the budget you have can get you a Z grade cabin, that is bound to have negative implications. The letter Z is hardly something used to attract positive thoughts. For seasoned cruisers it will make no odds but for new to cruise passengers, learning as they go, it will surely have an impact. As always, just my opinion.

It just makes matters more confusing. One brochure will have different cabin grades to another depending on when you're looking at sailing. Why do they have to make these changes? Leave things as they are for a while!