Sign in to follow this  
Davybe

Do you Tell Everyone !

Do we give to much info on social media like Facebook?

John Terry getting robbed after posting pictures of him skying .is one case.

My late Brother In Law and his wife started to post and boast on Facebook ,even to the point of putting pictures of their property , and some expensive purchases they made ,then telling the world they were going away for a month  !

Took one very heated phone call to get him to remove some info and make his account accessible to a limited number of people . 

Are you careful with what info you put out....Davybe 

56 minutes ago, Davybe said:

Do we give to much info on social media like Facebook?

John Terry getting robbed after posting pictures of him skying .is one case.

My late Brother In Law and his wife started to post and boast on Facebook ,even to the point of putting pictures of their property , and some expensive purchases they made ,then telling the world they were going away for a month  !

Took one very heated phone call to get him to remove some info and make his account accessible to a limited number of people . 

Are you careful with what info you put out....Davybe 

Not on your nelly Davybe, there are to many people out there nowadays who can get information they need to use to their advantage, not only that my understanding is that should you subsequently get burgled, your home insurance becomes invalid if they discover you've been using social media telling people you are away.

Furthermore there was a former member of this forum and other forums who trawled Facebook and the like to find other members details, he then thought it would be good to post their addresses, he even took photographs of the property when he was in her area and posted, he continues this to this day on his own blog, sad or what?

HLM.

Edited by HLM

I don't use Facebook or any of the other social media sites. However you don't even have to post on them to be at risk.

a local couple got a taxi to the airport. They found they had left their passport at home so called a friend of mine to pick them up so that they could nip hone and get them. Upon arrival they found that the taxi driver was breaking into their house. That has even put me off leaving home in a taxi now.

1 hour ago, sammy sun said:

I read somewhere recently that if there is evidence to prove that you shared that you're on holiday then it can void your travel insurance.

Pretty useless travel insurance if voided given that it is to cover you whilst away. Your home insurance maybe but not your travel insurance!

I`ve decided recently that I`ll share my pictures / experiences from holidays once back home on a blog.  This is partly to stop boring people telling them where I am  and what I`ve eaten but also to give people a choice of whether they click onto my blog and read it or not rather than a drip, drip ,drip of daily shots. Watching a friend inundate people with trip after trip of photos made me realise it appeared boastful as well as unsafe and signifying you are not at home.

9 minutes ago, jinky said:

Pretty useless travel insurance if voided given that it is to cover you whilst away. Your home insurance maybe but not your travel insurance!

I`ve decided recently that I`ll share my pictures / experiences from holidays once back home on a blog.  This is partly to stop boring people telling them where I am  and what I`ve eaten but also to give people a choice of whether they click onto my blog and read it or not rather than a drip, drip ,drip of daily shots. Watching a friend inundate people with trip after trip of photos made me realise it appeared boastful as well as unsafe and signifying you are not at home.

Apologies jinky, that was supposed to say home insurance and not travel insurance.

23 hours ago, HLM said:

Not on your nelly Davybe, there are to many people out there nowadays who can get information they need to use to their advantage, not only that my understanding is that should you subsequently get burgled, your home insurance becomes invalid if they discover you've been using social media telling people you are away.

Furthermore there was a former member of this forum and other forums who trawled Facebook and the like to find other members details, he then thought it would be good to post their addresses, he even took photographs of the property when he was in her area and posted, he continues this to this day on his own blog, sad or what?

HLM.

I know who you mean HLM.Sick Psycho or what?? 

He did run out of forums to post on LOL.

We usually told our neighbors to keep their eye open when we went away,Until a friend came to  check all was well inside the house ,as she walked up to the door one neighbour shout's "There on holiday for a couple of weeks" We have since moved and live 3 floors up and our daughter has a great guard dog ....Davybe 

19 hours ago, The Pesky Pirate said:

I don't use Facebook or any of the other social media sites. However you don't even have to post on them to be at risk.

a local couple got a taxi to the airport. They found they had left their passport at home so called a friend of mine to pick them up so that they could nip hone and get them. Upon arrival they found that the taxi driver was breaking into their house. That has even put me off leaving home in a taxi now.

Years ago my wife had a policy mature (Her Dad Took it out for her) not much by today's standards but a lot of money to us then, The Night the Agent delivered us the cash we had an attempted break in,the police interviewed the agent who had been in the pub telling people he had just finished for the night,and had mentioned he had given us some cash .

My wife is a light sleeper and heard him open the kitchen window ,she ran at him screaming ,he ran off ,I tried to chase him but as I only had my vest on running down the street with my bits out  did not seem a good idea....Davybe 

I don't even like saying on here what cruise I'm going on and when. It's why I don't like asking questions about Ports or ships. I think I did ask a question about Montevideo a few years back and worried I'd said too much. As HLM says there are probably people who trawl through forums such as these simply to obtain information. 

20 hours ago, The Pesky Pirate said:

That's scary.:blink:

3 hours ago, Davybe said:

I know who you mean HLM.Sick Psycho or what?? 

He did run out of forums to post on LOL.

We usually told our neighbors to keep their eye open when we went away,Until a friend came to  check all was well inside the house ,as she walked up to the door one neighbour shout's "There on holiday for a couple of weeks" We have since moved and live 3 floors up and our daughter has a great guard dog ....Davybe 

"Sick psycho" indeed, the ironic thing is the fool put a photo of his own flat on that other forum, then someone found it on street maps and he subsequently had that member banned, that was before they realised what he was like of course.

Thing is, it's relevant to this thread as should he ever get burgled his insurance is null and void, I have it on good authority that insurers do check claimants for social media accounts.

HLM.

Like a few others I don't do social media so can't spread my details that way, not that I would anyway.

When using taxis I always concoct a story about leaving teenage boys at home whilst away and talk to the driver about my concerns - Okay, paranoid and ridiculous I know. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you.

An incident nearby recently was that a house was burgled and only passports and other documents plus jewellery were taken. Being the amateur sleuth it appears to me that it was targeted and they knew exactly where to find these items, how I don't know, but my suspicion would be that it was someone who had been in their house or knew that they were soon going away.

Loose lips sinks ships.

RayO

I only have facebook and have it set to private but like others I don't put much on there. I keep saying I am going to delete it but I am just too nosey to commit to getting rid of it haha

4 hours ago, cruise chef said:

My philosophy is simple, if you dont want information in the public domain dont post it!!!! Frankly I dont want to know what my friends friends child ate for breakfast.

A good philosophy I agree, but it didn't stop my bank account being cloned and I never put that in the public domain. 

If someone is intend of getting your details, they will get them.

I googled my name and D.O.B once and couldn't believe what I found, it even had my mobile number and apart from this site, I have no other social media membership I'm still bemused how it got there, shocking really.

I often even on here see people using their real name as a signature yet they use a pseudonym as their user name, as time goes on they reveal more and more information about themselves, like I said in an earlier post, a former member used to store all this information, then use it to troll them, he even found their address and took a photograph of the property, I assume for his own personal and sick kicks, but there are professional burglars out there who'd of robbed the place.

Extreme it may be, but it does happen and quite frequently.

HLM.

Just a coincidence cruise chef, how spooky I haven't thought of that saying for years. Thought it originated in WWII, maybe after Pearl Harbor (sic!), when they were worried about fifth columnists.

RayO

21 hours ago, RayO said:

Like a few others I don't do social media so can't spread my details that way, not that I would anyway.

When using taxis I always concoct a story about leaving teenage boys at home whilst away and talk to the driver about my concerns - Okay, paranoid and ridiculous I know. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you.

An incident nearby recently was that a house was burgled and only passports and other documents plus jewellery were taken. Being the amateur sleuth it appears to me that it was targeted and they knew exactly where to find these items, how I don't know, but my suspicion would be that it was someone who had been in their house or knew that they were soon going away.

Loose lips sinks ships.

RayO

Morning RayO

I am lucky that my Son in Law takes us to meet the coach or airport.

Friends in Manchester have an  arrangement with neighbours and they take one another to the airport as required works well for them ,and cuts down on the worrying...Davybe