Sign in to follow this  
Little Mermaid

Symphony of the Seas

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that the new ship with RCI went on sail yesterday.

Its in the med for Summer 18 and then moving to the caribbean in the winter.

I have booked myself and my family on for May 2018.

Great prices, especially for families, 30% discount.

Although there isnt that much information around at the moment its going to be almost identical to Harmony, which I was lucky enough to sail on last year.

Can't wait to find out which production will be onboard, Grease was fantastic.

Is anyone else tempted?

Edited by Little Mermaid

I want to go on it but really dissapointed with Royal Caribbeans lack of organisation in introducing this ship, as all her cabin grades are on the new grading system, and they have not released deck plans with these new grades, so you have to go into each cabin number and find it on Harmony of the Seas deckplan to find out where it is! very poor planning on their part

4 minutes ago, Furby said:

I want to go on it but really dissapointed with Royal Caribbeans lack of organisation in introducing this ship, as all her cabin grades are on the new grading system, and they have not released deck plans with these new grades, so you have to go into each cabin number and find it on Harmony of the Seas deckplan to find out where it is! very poor planning on their part

I wasn't aware they'd done this Furby. Sounds pretty ridiculous for a large company like Royal Caribbean to make such a mess of things. I hope they don't do something similar when Celebrity Edge is announced next week.

It wasnt too bad for my booking as I just wanted cheapest cabin available.

I called Bolsover after receiving an email from RCI. Hadn't heard much until receiving the email.

Bolsover gave me the category and as I had been on Harmony it was easy for me to choose a cabin number.

But I wonder why they have done this, and are they rolling the grades out on all of their ships? i don't see the benefit.

5 minutes ago, Sea Cruiser said:

There is hardly any information on her at all. Really suprised of RCI as they usually make a massive deal of it, like look at Harmony?

Yes they made such a big fuss about Harmony and this is the first I've heard of Symphony!!

They've made a huge deal of all their latest ships so it is surprising that Symphony has almost gone under the radar. Harmony's announcement along with Ovation, Anthem and Quantum all made headlines but this seems to have been quite low-key for them.

1 hour ago, Furby said:

Hi Furby, does this help you. http://www.cruisemapper.com/deckplans/Symphony-Of-The-Seas-1730

I think we had to take on board, excuse the pun, that Symphony does not launch for another 13 months but when it does as the worlds largest cruise ship I am sure Royal will be making great noises about it.

I tried looking for some information on Symphony of the Seas the other day and like a few others on here, I could only find very little in comparision to when they announced Harmony, Ovation etc. Despite this, I'm sure that this new ship will be very popular and I'm interested to see what she will have to offer.

For anyone interested here's a short video of what we can expect...

i have been told the ship is very similar to harmoney. the ship looks amazing and i have two children who i know will love it. i am sure there is another ship of the same name?

The ship does look quite incredible but how many of these mammoth ships do they need? People often question their ability to fill them but they must be doing something right because otherwise they wouldn't spend the huge amount of money required to construct something like this. 

Although it does look amazing, it's now 4 ships in Symphony, Harmony, Oasis and Allure that are all very similar if not for slight interior differences but the overall layout etc is the same. Once you've done one, you've pretty much seen them all I'd imagine. I suppose the only thing to consider would be that if you did a week's cruise, the ships are so large you probably wouldn't have enough time to actually see it all!

It's quite amazing how ships of the same 'build class' can vary so much in the atmosphere they create.

I covered the maiden sailing of Anthem of the Seas in 2015. It was 8 days of happiness and enjoyment covering Spain and France. The new concept of Dynamic Dining, rotating around 4 different restaurants with the same wait staff, worked well and added to the dining experience. 12 months later I covered the maiden of Ovation of the Seas from Barcelona to Dubai on its way to Shanghai. What a difference. The wait staff hadn't got their act together, the food was not in my humble opinion as good, the Diamond Lounge was a disaster and was being turned into the 'High Rollers' lounge for the Chinese market. Sizes of tee shirts etc. did not exceed 'M', prices in some cases were exorbitant, a bottle of standard cough mixture from the shop $17, Johnny Rockets, a favourite of many because if its 1950's ethos had become the Kung Fu Panda Noodle Shop and always appeared empty.

Same build class of ship but what a difference in experiences and so it may be that Symphony will have a different ambience to her sisters, only time will tell. 

Speaking of Southampton does anyone know which ships Royal Caribbean are planning to place in Southampton in 2018? I can't find anything so they might not be released for a while yet but just wondered if anyone had heard any speculation?

21 minutes ago, Sea Cruiser said:

Just had a look on their website and they havent released the 2018 yet for Southampton! Wonder which ships theyll put in. I bet they will keep independence.

That's partly why I'm asking sea cruiser. I think they will keep Independence but it would be great if they bought something like Ovation over to Southampton for a full season or maybe Anthem again.

I can't see anything either for Summer 2018 with Royal Caribbean. I bet it won't be long though now with them releasing the brand new Symphony ship earlier this week. Most other cruise lines are out for 2018.

to be honest this really is not my type of ship, far too large for my taste however my family members were looking to see if they could book a short cruise just as a taster.

how disappointing to not be able to see the itineraries, info about the ship etc...

so far they havent booked anything!!! lost sale for RCI who should have released information!!!

I hadn't realised that Royal Caribbean had announced a further two ships to join their Quantum Class. I'm sure this will give plenty for people to moan about, especially those who likened Anthem, Quantum etc to a block of flats. It's all personal preference but as Sammy Sun mentioned earlier on in the conversation, Royal Caribbean must be getting something right as you wouldn't expect them to build more ships if they were failing to fill the cabins. I'll be intrigued to see what Symphony will offer and do think it will be a shame that she won't be coming to Southampton

Oldworldtraveller, I haven't heard of these new Ovation class ships until your post.

Do you think out with the old and in with the new? Surely with all of these new ships being built we must get a look in for one to be based in Southampton in the next few years?? They must be looking at getting rid of some of the older ones.

I have recently read that Independence is having a massive refit, wasnt specific as to  when though. . Maybe it will be for its Summer 2018 season in Southampton.

After going on the Harmony I am reluctant to try the older ships unless they have been recently refurbished as I think I would be disappointed.