AFC04/03

Has anybody travelled aboard Oriana recently?

Good morning Forum,

its been a while!

i have been looking at a couple of cruises for this year and 2 are aboard Oriana. has anybody been onboard since her refurbishment? I have been hesitant to travel on her in the past due to feedback from friends. any info would be really appreciated.

thanks AFC

Although Oriana has been refurbished the vibration problem that has plagued this ship from new will still be present.  When I last cruised on Oriana the food was mediocre at best and you had to queue for the MDR at breakfast and lunch times. A refit will not have cured these problems. A shame really as I liked the layout of the ship.

I haven't cruised on Oriana for quite some time now, in fact I'd be going back over 10 years but some of my good friends are actually on board the ship now for the 24 night Caribbean cruise. They messaged us to say that so far it has been excellent. They've had good service and enjoyed the changes made. They particularly commented on the re-design of the restaurants saying that P&O had finally changed the decor to freshen it up. Might be worth giving it a go but it's difficult for me to comment from personal experience having not sailed on the ship for such a long time.

Friends of ours are just back and say that the refurb is very good and the change in menu is a vast improvement. It takes all kinds but I am really looking forward to our cruise to the Med on 23 April and to get first hand knowledge of all the improvements

On 4/16/2017 at 1:38 PM, june63 said:

Friends of ours are just back and say that the refurb is very good and the change in menu is a vast improvement. It takes all kinds but I am really looking forward to our cruise to the Med on 23 April and to get first hand knowledge of all the improvements

My sister and Husband are joining you on this cruise, hop e you have a good one. We wanted to book this but my husbands company would not let him have the Sunday as his day off so we are going 1st July which cost us extra £1000. The really annoying thing , they count fit his days off in this week so he is now off Saturday and Sunday.

Am on Oriana for the first time later this month.  Favourite ship is Aurora then Azura, don't like Britannia.  Only booked it last week, like a midship balcony cabin but none left so we are in the next but last aft cabin on B deck, does anyone have any advice for us about this ship?

Oriana is my favourite ship although she does vibrate a bit at the stern especially on the lower decks & the Oriental restaurant. She has a lovely tiered stern & you will be in a very good position to get out there to sit & watch the wake. Chaplains cinema is a proper cinema with a few screenings of a different film every day. There is always room somewhere to get a sun bed on the open decks but we prefer a seat on the promenade deck. A proper dance floor in Harlequins, lots of entertainment venues & a pub means there's something for everyone. Enjoy yourself!

Was on the ship in March and April and could not praise the cruise any higher for cleanliness, food and a fantastic itinary. The crew and staff were very friendly and professional. 

The only disappointment was one of the Headliners vocalists who was simply not up to the usual standard we have come to expect and enjoy. Still after just arrived back off the Eclipse and comparing their on board shows they were still very entertaining. 

Must say  the Oriana is my favourite P&O ship. Would highly recommend the ship.

Go for it  - the friendliness and camaraderie amongst her passengers is great. Have a good holiday!

I have cruised on Oriana many times over her 22 years in existence. She has changed over the years as anybody would expect. Primarily she is the same as in her launch year. What has changed for me as I have got older, and more experienced cruising with P & O, is that the entertainment has not updated with the times. In fact it has remained typical of the older and older clients, set in their ways. For years my late wife and I left second sitting for the show in the Theatre, as with 90% of the rest of the dinners. They are still producing the same West End and Broadway themes of the last 30 years ago. Yes with different young dancers, who are learning their trade. Having a wonderful time and being paid 'peanuts' tax free. The larger mixed ships have more variety especially tribute acts. Although very rarely on Oriana. Come cruisers we LIVED in the 50's, 60's and 70's what is wrong with more live music even though it is copied. It is far too easy to have a night cap and go to bed straight after dinner    

Many good reports have been posted but the issue of engine noise in the resturant has not been resolved. It's still very bad and can drown out conversation at times. Her sister ship is far better and doesn't suffer from this problem

Must agree about the shows but we enjoy the evening entertainment followed by a brandy!

As a point of interest after cruising for over 20 years and quite a few cruises with different cruise lines under our belts on our recent cruise on the Eclipse we actually walked out of a show as did many other folk.

We did the Northern Lights cruise on Oriana in Feb/March 2017 after her refit. We have sailed on many P and O cruise ships but never on Oriana. We were charmed by her and although there was some noise on one day in the Oriental restaurant due to winter seas, the rest of the time we were unaware of much of a problem. The decor, upgraded cabins, wooden complete promenade deck, food and friendliness of all the staff made it a memorable experience. We can't wait to go on her again.