Terry Skeet

Canaries on Oceana March 2017

Oceana

First cruised on her in 2005 when she was in the Caribbean and still our favourite but with issues.  One of the issues is her problem with heavy seas and we certainly had those on the recent cruise.  We were told that the stabilisers had been deployed but they did not seem to make a lot of difference and I have heard from friends who were on the 35 night transatlantic cruise that preceded ours that the same applied to them.  The ship looked in pretty good condition and will look even better when she goes in for a refit later in 2017.

Food

No problems for us here, the usual P&O fare served to us on table 54 in the freedom dining restaurant by two excellent waiters who could not do enough for us.  However, we thought the food in the buffet has gone backwards, room for improvement in that area P&O.

Entertainment

The quality of the artists on the this cruise was really very good but quite cool in the theatre, the ladies will need a wrap unless P&O have upped the thermostat!

Overall

I fully realise that there are better ships on the high seas these days but we are more than happy with P&O and if you compare all the prices including alcohol etc they provide excellent value for money.  One bit of advice though, please book before the weekend prices go up at 2pm on a Friday and that not only to P&O but all the others as well.         

Hi we were on the same cruise and have previously travelled on her.  The main concern we had was how "tight" it seems when the weather isn't good i.e. trying to find somewhere to sit Oceania is a good ship to be on in the Caribbean.  We thought the cabaret artistes were good particularly Roy Locke - brilliant voice, a bit disappointed with the headliners - not the best troupe we've seen.  All in all not our favourite ship but would go on her again.

Always interested in reading reviews on the Oceana as we are on her for the Christmas cruise this year.  I had read previously that she was quite "shabby" but I'm sure they'll make this cruise special!

The oceana is one I haven't yet sailed on, but the only thing putting me off is the fact family members and forums say she is getting tired so may have to reconsider once she has had her refit.

Yes, she is a bit tired in a few places but don't let that put you off, I've been on worse, far worse. Our window cabin was fine but it was a very last minute booking and the cabin was not in a position we like but it worked out well in the end.  The worst thing about the cruise was the weather and P&O can't do anything about that.

I agree with that!  

Being of a certain age it's the size of Oceana that appeals, we've tried all the big ships and we do prefer the mid size ones and in saying that there could be a problem going forward.  P&O now seem to be concentrating on the larger ships probably in an effort to encourage younger cruisers and I can understand that but it would be nice for us of a certain age to have a brand new mid size ship now and again.  

4 hours ago, Terry Skeet said:

I agree with that!  

Being of a certain age it's the size of Oceana that appeals, we've tried all the big ships and we do prefer the mid size ones and in saying that there could be a problem going forward.  P&O now seem to be concentrating on the larger ships probably in an effort to encourage younger cruisers and I can understand that but it would be nice for us of a certain age to have a brand new mid size ship now and again.  

Don't hold your breath. The only companies doing ships similar in size to Oceana are the 4/5 star lines such as Seabourn, Silversea, Viking, Regent etc.

We were on Oceana for the 5 week cruise Feb 8th only our 2nd cruise first time on her disappointed with size of cabin which was inside never again. Our first cruise was on Arcadia had a balcony a must we were both very poorly on Oceana chest infections not having a door to open for fresh air was dreadful when you aren't feeling well a balcony is a must. We loved the ship but def needs this refit later this year not good in bad weather and afraid to say the public ladies bathrooms were a disgrace. Entertainment and food excellent and all the staff are amazing. 

Just back from first trip on the Oceana, loved her so much have already booked next years trip. I know the cabins and balconies are a little bit smaller than the newer ships, but the overall layout of the ship and the style is so much better. Can't wait to see how she looks after refit