Sign in to follow this  
The Seven Seas

Norwegian Cruise Line Goes All Inclusive

NCL are rolling out inclusive fares for UK and international passengers with the brand changing their price to make all cruises fully all-inclusive. UK passengers will benefit from this along with other international markets including many countries in continental Europe. Several premium drinks will be included in the price, along with service charges and gratuities.

What are your thoughts on NCL’s decision to change its pricing policy and make all cruises fully-inclusive? I’ve been put off in the past by comments from friends and family that cruising with NCL can be quite pricey when on board. I don’t know all that much about NCL so not too sure if this is true, but if like me others have been put off by these comments, this all-inclusive price may sway others to consider cruising with NCL. The cost of the cruise will more than likely go up but the appeal of this new package may make it worth it for some.

I think it's a bold move by NCL and only time will tell if it pays off. They've clearly been listening to the rumbles in the market, particularly towards gratuities and have decided it makes more sense to include them in the cost of the cruise. I like the idea that speciality dining and drinks across all bars/restaurants etc are included. It certainly takes away the concern over on board spend but I'm not sure it will suit everyone. It almost blankets everyone whereas some people would prefer to tailor make their cruise as they wish rather than have the choice taken away from them to be replaced by an overall fare. 

I often comment in support of P&O when it comes to gratuities. I've given P&O some stick lately but for grats they still remain in my good books. This is because it still remains very much optional. There's no obligatory service charges to be made and NCL doing this immediately opens them up to "I paid my grats up front and the staff knew this therefore the service was poor as there was no incentive." 

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it as it's all open to interpretation. Some will love it, others will hate it. Fair play to NCL though for making the first move on this in the mainstream market outside of the luxury lines unless I'm mistaken?

I don't believe gratuities are included, it is the service charges on the drinks which is included. So actual gratuities are still payable, I may be wrong.

I don't think grats should be included, this is best left optional in my opinion as it lets the individual decide who they want to tip personally, on previous cruises with RCI & P&O we have always paid the grats our own way, but the drinks packages and speciality dining being included i think is great, takes the worry away about getting a large bar bill at the end! and love the idea of speciality dining being included because its always nice to try something different! :D

As mentioned some will love the idea, others will hate, you simply can't please everyone. Like you Ahoy I think that it takes away the worry of getting a large bill at the end of your cruises, especially when it comes to drinks and dining as one of the main negative comments I'd heard about cruising with NCL was the price of drinks and how this can soon mount up.

I also read the cruise critic article and I'm under the impression that the grats and service charge will be included in the fare.

23 minutes ago, Ahoy said:

I don't think grats should be included, this is best left optional in my opinion as it lets the individual decide who they want to tip personally, on previous cruises with RCI & P&O we have always paid the grats our own way, but the drinks packages and speciality dining being included i think is great, takes the worry away about getting a large bar bill at the end! and love the idea of speciality dining being included because its always nice to try something different! :D

I'm with you on this Ahoy. It's just my opinion of course and others will disagree. I understand that because everyone is entitled to their opinion as we each see things differently. Personally I feel like I'm more in control when not paying tips up front. I like the existing process with many cruise lines at the moment. That said, I agree with your point on most other things being included but sadly we can't have it all can we!

It seems a good idea just as long as prices remain competitive, but when it comes to drinks some passengers will see this as far more beneficial than others.

However since we only sail from Southampton and prefer guaranteed warm/hot weather then NCL's northern waters cruises are unlikely to appeal to us.

16 hours ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

According to their advert gratuities are included. https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/all-inclusive

On the first picture it does say service charges and gratuities, but lower down it advises all tips related to all-inclusive services. There is no mention of the gratuities which are paid to waiters/cabin stewards being included. It is not very clear and seems to contradict itself but as I read it those gratuities are not included.

3 hours ago, towny44 said:

It seems a good idea just as long as prices remain competitive, but when it comes to drinks some passengers will see this as far more beneficial than others.

However since we only sail from Southampton and prefer guaranteed warm/hot weather then NCL's northern waters cruises are unlikely to appeal to us.

Exactly towny44, some passengers will love the idea because it will bring their on board spend down considerably while others will not find it of interest because they're effectively now paying a premium for something they are unlikely to take advantage of. I like the freedom of choice and prefer an approach giving us the option of what we prefer. That way it's still all in our hands. As much as this will entice a lot of people to give NCL a try, I think it will also alienate a few people from the cruise line who feel they don't want to pay extra for something they don't need. It's a toss of the coin as to whether it will work and good luck to them.

this is interesting, they are a very casual cruise line but have gone the way of the luxury lines by including drins and grats, i wonder if it will increase interest for the cruise line

It could prove to be very successful for them. They clearly market themselves at the younger generation with the activities they offer on board and their marketing campaigns. Younger generations have grown up with all-inclusive being a common feature of holidays and particularly more popular over the past 5-10 years. They will have done their market research before making a decision like this so they must think it's going to be popular.

whilst i really enjoyed it when we went on NCL, the speciality restaurants made it for us. I wonder if their standards will go down if they are now included as well or if they'll still be as good?!