Sign in to follow this  
Honey73

My most memorable cruising moment is...

I love hearing everyone's cruising stories............. Thought it would be interesting to see "What is your most memorable cruising moment ..............................?"

16 minutes ago, WAVES said:

Seeing my husbands face when he saw the ship for the first time

Hahah! I can totally relate to this!!!! I'm sure my other half thought he was going on a fishing boat by the look on his face :) 

Edited by Honey73

The fantastic west end style shows in the theatre put on by the headliners with P&O.

The delicious food and service on QM2.

Partying in the nightclub all night long on QM2's G32 nightclub.

1 minute ago, nikos said:

The fantastic west end style shows in the theatre put on by the headliners with P&O.

The delicious food and service on QM2.

Partying in the nightclub all night long on QM2's G32 nightclub.

I love G32! I was actually surprised at the nightlife on Cunard, I was expecting it to be really low key but there is something for everybody whether it be lively or low key, QM2 is my favourite ship

Just walking up the gangway knowing that I have to cook nothing for a while, no beds to make, no spending time in the supermarkets, no bathrooms to clean, no lawns to mow, generally just be lazy and enjoy the time onboard, but I must add that going through the Panama Canal takes some beating. OH and sailing into Venice. My big wish was to sail into New York and that will come true in September, can't wait.

13 minutes ago, smtcan said:

Sailing out of Venice seeing the beautiful buildings from the top deck while 'Time to Say Goodbye' was playing.

Sailing in and out of Venice would be up there for me too. It's a unique place and very special on board a cruise. 

I think my most memorable cruise moment will always be driving up to the terminal at Southampton for the very first time. I'd looked at countless brochures etc but you really can't imagine the size of a ship until you see it up close, it was amazing. That ship was P&O's Oriana and although it's been a long time since I sailed on that ship, I'll always remember that cruise fondly. 

Hi  I have too many cruise highlights to come up with just one.  If I am fortunately enough to see a whale or a pod of dolphins this is always  the highlight of that particular cruise.  Sightseeing is a different matter, I agree that the sail in or out of Venice is very good, but nothing prepared me for seeing Petra for the first time.  Food wise my favourite dish of all time was served on Silversea it wasn't complex just scallops served on a bed of wild mushroom risotto but tasted like heaven.  Evening entertain is a different matter, the show Priscilla Queen of the Desert which I saw on NCL's Epic this year was very well produced but I remember seeing Ray Allen with Lord Charles many years ago on P&O's Victoria which was very extremely funny, he incorporated things which occurred to the cruise into the act showing he was prepared to work hard on his material rather than just repeat the same "old" spiel.

So many wonderful cruising memories but there are two significant highlights which spring immediately to mind:-

1. The approach across Lake Nasser to the temples of Abu Simbel - using my binoculars, I thought I was watching a colony of ants but, as we got closer, it turned out to be people milling around at the foot of the massive rock temples.

2. Sitting out on our balcony at 03.00hrs overlooking the stern of Arcadia as we headed back south from the North Cape in early July and coming to the realisation that I was looking at the sun over the top of the world.  Bit of a "eureka" moment!!

DavidH

It would be sailing past Stromboli in the early hours of the morning as the volcano was erupting, only me on deck. One of the few times that insomnia paid dividends. I had to laugh when the captain announced from the bridge the following morning that it was a great sight that everyone missed as they were fast asleep in bed

4 hours ago, DavidH said:

So many wonderful cruising memories but there are two significant highlights which spring immediately to mind:-

1. The approach across Lake Nasser to the temples of Abu Simbel - using my binoculars, I thought I was watching a colony of ants but, as we got closer, it turned out to be people milling around at the foot of the massive rock temples.

2. Sitting out on our balcony at 03.00hrs overlooking the stern of Arcadia as we headed back south from the North Cape in early July and coming to the realisation that I was looking at the sun over the top of the world.  Bit of a "eureka" moment!!

DavidH

This would of made a fantastic photo!!

DavidH

Sounds absolutely wonderful. 

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, towny44 said:

Standing on deck at sailaway in Sydney with the harbour bridge on one side and the Opera house on the other; a real pinch yourself moment.

Can Identify with this, truly tingle down the spine and melancholy moment at the same time.   

Oh so many where to start?  Most of those already mentioned I totally concur  and identify with, and those I have not experienced sound wonderful too. I am now on my second "Bucket List"  having completed my first on a World Cruise on 2013 but some others that were epic for me were: saying farewell to my first introduction to cruising, the cruise ship Canberra, from the deck of Oriana in Cannes in 1997 to swimming with stingrays in the Carribbean, "crossing the line" with its uniquely silly ceremony, bathing in the Blue Lagoon in Rejklavic, witnessing the Midnight Sun in both Iceland and Alaska and just that sheer wonder of sailing an ocean like the Atlantic or Pacific looking out from the deck of a luxury cruise ship and imagining how on earth those early sailors ever circumnavigated the world ....no fine dining, on board credit, drinks packages or wonderful entertainment for them eh?

On 07/04/2017 at 9:43 AM, DavidH said:

DavidH

How wonderful!!!!!

i was so busy thinking about the destination I've visited on cruises over the years that I completely overlooked the mos obvious memory of all. One of my best memories would have to be the first time I set sail from Southampton. The band in full swing and the champagne flowing. That would definitely have to go down as one of my best because there's nothing like your first sailaway.