Sign in to follow this  
anthony parker

What clothing would people recommend for Northern lights Feb 2018?

We are going on a Saga(who supply a big overcoat and shoe grippers) northern lights cruise next Feb and apart from the obvious fur pants,what would people recommend for:

A;general walking around towns.

B;for wearing when out on excursions such as dog sledding etc.

Hi,

The best thing to do is layer up as much as possible, if you have ski sallopettes, that would be ideal. Also a non water based face moisturiser, as your face can become very chapped with the wind and snow.

Sounds like the obvious but a woolly hat & scarf that you could pull up around your mouth when its windy to avoid chapped lips and some really good gloves. Also my walking friends swear by Merino wool socks for keeping the feet warm. Finally sunglasses for during the short day as the glare from the snow can be harsh on the eyes. Have an amazing time  and I hope you get a great view of the lights

Hi my wife and I undertook a Northtern Lights cruise in February of this year .As far as clothing is concerned ,layers are a good thing for general walking about towns and essentials as hats and gloves are diffinately needed.I would also recommend the use of a Ski pole (collasapable ones are great) .There was a lot of snow with ice underneath .As far as sledding again layers are essential together with waterproof clothing.Be very carful with the shoe grippers given as the ones we had were totally useless and good boots with good treads are you best bet.

On 12 April 2017 at 4:33 PM, cruise chef said:

Sounds like the obvious but a woolly hat & scarf that you could pull up around your mouth when its windy to avoid chapped lips and some really good gloves. Also my walking friends swear by Merino wool socks for keeping the feet warm. Finally sunglasses for during the short day as the glare from the snow can be harsh on the eyes. Have an amazing time  and I hope you get a great view of the lights